Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Richie on current leg of the tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55338)

semigoodlookin 04-05-2013 04:52 PM

I am British living in Argentina. While the culture does offer some of the above (rude, disruptive etc) the disgusting animals is a little harsh, considering my perfectly normal fiancee is apparantly one of those animals. I have had plenty of experiences where Americans have lived up to their sterotypes, as I am sure you have with the English or Europeans, but calling them disgusting animals is bullshit.

I agree that most in America know Sambora, as much for his celebrity than for the band however. They know who he is, but I really think more casuals there would not give a shit if he was at a show or not. In Europe, sure plenty wouldn't care either, but I bet more would than in the US.

danfan 04-05-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKatz (Post 1119981)
I'm ashamed to say this made me laugh! :D

Me too. :-)

semigoodlookin 04-05-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion (Post 1119980)
But Bon Jovi was the trend in the late 80s. They were everywhere and represented an entire generation of american youth.

By 1992, there were new bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam. And the new kids weren't going to pick a band of the past, no matter how good Bon Jovi were.

That's the reason they never had the massive sales of the 80s in America.

I know, and didn't say any differently, but none of that makes what I said any less true.

danfan 04-05-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1119982)
I am British living in Argentina. While the culture does offer some of the above (rude, disruptive etc) the disgusting animals is a little harsh, considering my perfectly normal fiancee is apparantly one of those animals. I have had plenty of experiences where Americans have lived up to their sterotypes, as I am sure you have with the English or Europeans, but calling them disgusting animals is bullshit.

I've said this before - I take my family to Disney World every summer for 2 weeks. The South American tour groups are everything I described. They cut people in lines, they chant songs through the park during parades and while on buses, they throw trash on the ground, they run around the hotels and yell at all hours of the night. This isn't news to anyone who goes there. Go on any Disney message board and just mention the tour groups, the Brazilian ones specifically, and the thread will turn ugly and get closed within minutes.

Supersonic 04-05-2013 05:03 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1119966)
Never been to a show in Europe. Been to shows in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New Jersey. For the fans that I know, EVERYBODY knows who Richie is. I'm sure there are some morons who think it's just Jon Bon Jovi, but I don't see that as the majority. When he went to rehab on the last tour, the majority of people that I spoke to at the show knew full well who Richie was and that he wasn't going to be there.

Among people that I speak to, even non Jovi fans, I don't know too many people who don't know who Richie Sambora is.

Fair enough, we've got different experiences when it comes to what we hear when talking to other fans. Just as long as the examples of the people you talked to weren't your close friends or relatives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1119972)
The South American fans aren't ramming the fact down our throats.

That's because most South Americans don't speak English, have never been outside of their country, let alone have visited a Bon Jovi show in another country. Europeans have the money to travel, most South Americans don't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1119976)
By the same token, South American tourists are also known to be rude, disruptive, disrespectful, disgusting animals while visiting North America. It's the culture.

No it's not. You wouldn't know their culture because you've never been to their country, you have no idea if they behave the same way in their own theme parks like they do when you were faced with their behavior on your Disney trips. If I were to form an opinion on Americans solely on how they behave in Holland it'd be of a country full of drug addicts dying to get high. That's not exactly correct either now, is it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1119977)
There's no doubt their popularity waned in the 90's in the US, but honestly, it had no where else to go. In the 80's, Bon Jovi ruled America. Seb is going to say whatever makes his story sound more viable and makes Americans look worse.

No I won't, stop acting like a crybaby.

I know what places Bon Jovi played in the eighties, anyone saying Bon Jovi were bigger in Europe in the (late) eighties is fooling himself. Before Slippery, Bon Jovi did gather a small cult following in Europe and Japan though, which was bigger than their popularity in America, despite the albums not charting over here. They headlined their own shows in theaters the size of the Beacon Theater in New York, something yet unheard of in America. Once Slippery came out all changed, and for a good 3 years Bon Jovi were the biggest act out there.

After this though, Bon Jovi was, unlike you're claiming, not selling out the smaller arena's in the nineties. Many of them were amphitheaters. Sure, the seats were all sold, but the 13.000+ tickets available for the field weren't rarely gone. Jon has even gone as far as calling one of their nineties tours the red-seat tour, simply because whenever they weren't playing an amphitheater and 15.000+ seats had to be sold they just were no longer able to.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

semigoodlookin 04-05-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1119985)
I've said this before - I take my family to Disney World every summer for 2 weeks. The South American tour groups are everything I described. They cut people in lines, they chant songs through the park during parades and while on buses, they throw trash on the ground, they run around the hotels and yell at all hours of the night. This isn't news to anyone who goes there. Go on any Disney message board and just mention the tour groups, the Brazilian ones specifically, and the thread will turn ugly and get closed within minutes.

Great, but when did a select group become the standard for an entire continent? Btw, I know the Disney thing, South Americans are routinely voted the worst visitors, but it is hardly concrete enough for me to judge an entire continent of people.

samboraisgodUK 04-05-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1119982)
I am British living in Argentina.

Do they ever shut the f*ck up about the Falklands?

semigoodlookin 04-05-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1119988)
Do they ever shut the f*ck up about the Falklands?

Not much no haha. Although I will admit it almost all from the government. The people for the most part would rather their president focused on building a good country instead of chasing a rock they will never get by force or by mind.

ticos_stick 04-05-2013 05:34 PM

http://www.bonjovi-archives.com/newsignature.jpg

Inspired :)

Beaky 04-05-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1119987)
Great, but when did a select group become the standard for an entire continent? Btw, I know the Disney thing, South Americans are routinely voted the worst visitors, but it is hardly concrete enough for me to judge an entire continent of people.

That.

Also, if we were making judgements on entire nationalities... My experience leads me to believe that it's the attitude to going out, to experiencing entertainment as a whole that is judged completely differently in the US, it's just not as a big a deal for many. I have travelled all over Europe and the US seeing bands, watching sports and it never ceases to amaze me how Americans talk during EVERYTHING.

I sat behind two guys watching The Who in the US once and they chatted like they were at a bar... it was just another place to congregate on a Friday night for these guys.

It's just not an 'event' in the US, like it is in Europe, in my experience. In the days before you paid for a place in the pit, most of the people I know in the US still strolled in at the last possible minute before a gig. Most of the people I know in Europe used to take the day off work and queue from the crack of dawn to be at the front.