Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Can you hear Richie's absence from THINFS? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69614)

PanosBonJovi 08-18-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestinationJovi (Post 1204993)
No, the "official" reason Richie gave was that he wanted to be home with his daughter and he was sick of being on the road.

It's clear Richie didn't have much creative input/involvement on WAN and that he didn't like the direction Jon was taking the band's music. So much so that he quit mid-tour. A dick move, yes, but I truly believe he couldn't stand the thought of playing a tour supporting that turd of an album for 70 more shows. So he said 'F this, I'd rather go out on my own and play whatever I want and shred ridiculous 5 minute solos if I choose to.'

When DJ Pierre Robert interviewed Jon about Richie leaving he said, "If it doesn't move you anymore, you have the right to leave." http://youtu.be/AhuJY4s9PmM

When Bobby said in the interview posted upthread, "Richie and Jon weren't seeing eye to eye," I think it's a safe bet they weren't seeing things eye to eye musically. Richie wanted more rock; Jon wanted whatever the hell you call WAN.

So I don't think saying if Richie had more artistic freedom and creative input he'd still be in the band is a false statement at all.

Sums up everything I believe so +1 for you :D

SupermanJon 08-18-2016 09:54 AM

I can tell the difference. I'm surprised at that myself because I'm not a guitar player nor guitar geek. I even can't play the guitar.
The intro sounds similar to Have A Nice Day and I LOVE the intro of Have A Nice Day, so it's obvious to me that the sound created by Richie is very missed. (But I think John Shanks did a great job. To me, his guitar sound is by far better than Phil X's.)
The same goes for Livin' On A Prayer, especially the guitar solo part. (Sorry, I should talk about only THINFS, but I can't.)
Whenever I went to Richie-less jovi shows including shows in 2013 and Asian shows last year, I always missed that sound. (Damn you Richie)
I remember that Jon said in a TV interview in 2012 or earlier (I watched it on YouTube) something like no one can sound like Richie in terms of guitar. I totally agree with Jon and I'm sure Jon can tell the difference.

Fredrik 08-18-2016 12:49 PM

Nah, not really. The last time I heard anything remotely "Richie" on a BJ album was The Circle. Again, that's sad, because his trademark blues-esque style and playing is really missed.

Old Joysey 08-18-2016 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestinationJovi (Post 1204993)
No, the "official" reason Richie gave was that he wanted to be home with his daughter and he was sick of being on the road.

It's clear Richie didn't have much creative input/involvement on WAN and that he didn't like the direction Jon was taking the band's music. So much so that he quit mid-tour. A dick move, yes, but I truly believe he couldn't stand the thought of playing a tour supporting that turd of an album for 70 more shows. So he said 'F this, I'd rather go out on my own and play whatever I want and shred ridiculous 5 minute solos if I choose to.'

When DJ Pierre Robert interviewed Jon about Richie leaving he said, "If it doesn't move you anymore, you have the right to leave." http://youtu.be/AhuJY4s9PmM

When Bobby said in the interview posted upthread, "Richie and Jon weren't seeing eye to eye," I think it's a safe bet they weren't seeing things eye to eye musically. Richie wanted more rock; Jon wanted whatever the hell you call WAN.

So I don't think saying if Richie had more artistic freedom and creative input he'd still be in the band is a false statement at all.

+1. He gave this reason as well in several interviews after he quit.

symbeline 08-20-2016 05:21 PM

Back on topic, since they *reused* the HAND riff, does it mean it was a Shanks creation and not Richie's? I would find it very tasteless if it was Richie's and they just said "Fvck it, nobody remembers him anymore"; it's a pretty distinctive riff.

Of course Richie cannot claim anything, he's only the co-author of the song so Jon can use whatever he wants without asking for permission or getting a letter from Richie's attorneys, but I found it very telling that they reused THAT song in particular. You know being the first time they worked with Shanks and all.

Is almost as if someone is making a statement, just saying...

Edit to clarify

Faceman 08-20-2016 05:25 PM

Interesting point of view, never saw it that way.
Might be some truth to it.

Captain_jovi 08-20-2016 05:25 PM

Attorneys is a little overboard. Its different chords in a different key. If it wasnt solo right after the solo like it was in HAND I don't think itd be as noticeable.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Javier 08-20-2016 05:28 PM

It'd actually a pretty basic riff that plenty of bands have used before and after hand. If it wasn't for the arrangement and placement of the riff you wouldn't even notice. As far as it being Richie's creation I think you may want to go back to the 70s and listen to bands like the who and the clash....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 08-20-2016 05:31 PM

Bostons Piece of Mind too.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

symbeline 08-20-2016 06:09 PM

C'mon people. To a BJ fan it would sound like the HAND riff and that's what I'm referring to.

It's the first thing that came to mind when I heard the song. How strange that it sounds too similar to HAND. Most of their songs sound like IML, to a non guitar player or a basic one, it's the same chord progression so it sounds the same every time. But this time they added the HAND touch.

Innocence coincidence? Who knows (I say it's not lol), that's why I was asking in this thread.

It's almost as if Shanks is saying "now you'll see who's been a busy bee for the past 10 years".

It doesn't seem very clever on Jon's part, it could seem as if he's mocking/debasing Richie to some overzealous fans. I remember how much praise Richie got for this record, for going back to a rockier sound in many tracks after their stint in pop rock (Bounce is mostly ignored by many casuals and critics, at least in my experience). Some songs are mostly remembered for Richie's contribution. So why chose that particular record/song?

I heard other songs in THINFS but you have to admit the first thing almost everybody said was HAND. I don't know if it's a faux pass on their part. I can understand underlying that this new record may be rockier by going back to their last *rock* record. But I still think it's strange to reuse something that in the eyes of many is Richie's.