Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Richie on current leg of the tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55338)

BJ?YesPlease 07-03-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1144265)
Christ on a bike...never heard that before. This is as much a rip off as Beautiful World.

Really makes you wonder, even more, how much input Jon and Richie had into YGLABN and LOAP.

"Christ on a bike". That's made my morning! HAHA.

Having heard the early demos of LOAP, I can see why Jon wouldn't have thought it would've been a hit, to be fair!

DevilsSon 07-03-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1144265)
Christ on a bike...never heard that before. This is as much a rip off as Beautiful World.

Really makes you wonder, even more, how much input Jon and Richie had into YGLABN and LOAP.

Hah! I thought that's common knowledge really. That's why I was surprised somebody would give Bad Name as an example for originality (even if it was just the title).

Having said that - the guitar riff and the solo make that song stand out...so, getting back on topic, credit to Richie there. It's just your average pop song if it wasn't for Mr. Sambora.

RonJovi 07-03-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1144269)
Hah! I thought that's common knowledge really. That's why I was surprised somebody would give Bad Name as an example for originality (even if it was just the title).

Having said that - the guitar riff and the solo make that song stand out...so, getting back on topic, credit to Richie there. It's just your average pop song if it wasn't for Mr. Sambora.

Good point. And I'm sure Jon did come up with the "Shot Through The Heart" bit given the song of the same name on the first album.

Sort of makes you wonder though. The way Jon tells the story, from memory, is that he came up with that line and the song flowed from there. Doesn't he say (or am I imagining it) that Desmond just polished the songs that him and Richie wrote? If so, it sounds as big a lie as "Max Martin was just in the room when we wrote It's My Life".

Forget staying on topic btw, the Richie stuff is beyond ridiculous at this stage.

DevilsSon 07-03-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1144274)
Good point. And I'm sure Jon did come up with the "Shot Through The Heart" bit given the song of the same name on the first album.

Sort of makes you wonder though. The way Jon tells the story, from memory, is that he came up with that line and the song flowed from there. Doesn't he say (or am I imagining it) that Desmond just polished the songs that him and Richie wrote? If so, it sounds as big a lie as "Max Martin was just in the room when we wrote It's My Life".

Forget staying on topic btw, the Richie stuff is beyond ridiculous at this stage.

Those are all 'myths' and legends. Jon & Richie claim a lot more credit for those two songs than they deserve. They are clearly Desmond's songs. If you look at the interview, he used to be asked by record producers to make a song sound like X or like Y and he'd just do that. If anything, Jon and Richie polished up a little the songs that Desmond Child wrote. At least on Slippery. I am sure it became more of an equal partnership later on, especially with songs like Keep The Faith.

Having said that, I am not discrediting the band by any means, especially from an instrumental perspective. The bass line to prayer, the talk-box riff, the solos, hell - even the drumming. All were out of this world. A song is as much as it is, four of the same chords, a little melody and some lyrics. It really comes alive in the studio - that's why both Prayer and Bad Name are fantastic.

Ollie 07-03-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayster (Post 1144212)
I would say Leonard Cohen a better lyric writer though.

JBJ's best for me is Dry County, Bed of Roses, Always, Something to Believe In & Blaze of Glory.

Recently he has penned some turds like Wildflower.

But Cohen has Everybody Knows, First We Take Manhattan, I'm Your Man, Hallelujah and hundreds more.

I suppose they just have different styles.

Leonard Cohen is a lyricist, poet, author.... He is a genious when it comes to the written and spoken word.... He is a on a completely different universe to Jon when it comes to songwriting... So much so that they shouldn't even be conpared... And I honestly think Jon would be first to admit this ;)

PatriciaSambora 07-03-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickolai (Post 1144267)
Yeah let's keep on topic. Richie is a ****ing idiot. "I love the fans, I love the band". Bollocks. If he did he would try to resolve with Jon whatever the problem is, but he choses to ponce around with some no good dolly bird in L.A. trying to act 30 years younger. This Richie mess strikes the guy is having a mid life crisis. Seriously every time that dickhead opens his mouth it makes me more angry and resentful of the band.

I'm wondering if Richie knows how disappointed his fans are with him (me included)

Gabriel Shoes 07-03-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayster (Post 1144212)
JBJ's best for me is Dry County, Bed of Roses, Always, Something to Believe In & Blaze of Glory.

Recently he has penned some turds like Wildflower.

I'd include the entire Destination Anywhere on that "the best of list". Very good and deep lyrics on that album.

BJ?YesPlease 07-03-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel Shoes (Post 1144284)
I'd include the entire Destination Anywhere on that "the best of list". Very good and deep lyrics on that album.

It certainly has it's moments, but while I'm a fan of Dave Stewart's work, I tend to think the production style on DA let's it down. One too many over-processed drum beats ;)

John.Drake 07-03-2013 03:16 PM

I'm seeing them live tonight and I don't really mind seeing Phil X, but I am very infuriated with the whole situation. At least it's not like what going on with Stone Temple Pilots though.

Gabriel Shoes 07-03-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJ?YesPlease (Post 1144285)
It certainly has it's moments, but while I'm a fan of Dave Stewart's work, I tend to think the production style on DA let's it down. One too many over-processed drum beats ;)

Many people dislike the album because of that, I understand why. I'm not a fan of such genre but Destination (along with These Days) is my all time fav album.