Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Can you hear Richie's absence from THINFS? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69614)

Kathleen 08-20-2016 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1205190)
Both have a capo on the second fret. If I recall, This House is Em/G, G, Cadd9, G with the root note descending in between each go around. HAND is Bm, D, G, D, A. They're similar, I admit that. HAND had an acoustic and a baritone below, House is more raw in production of the main chord progression (thankfully). Had it not been arranged the same way HAND was (guitar alone in the intro and after the solo) I guarantee we would not be talking about this because it's a different chord progression.

You're confusing things by posting facts. You'll never convince anyone that way :p

Javier 08-20-2016 11:49 PM

I've said it before but House echoes Lost Highway a LOT more for me. If you turn the LH riff inside out and put a capo on the second fret you have something a lot more similar to the House riff. In terms of song themes also....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 08-20-2016 11:50 PM

It's LH with the production of HAND! Yes!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

It's my faith 08-21-2016 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1205190)
Both have a capo on the second fret. If I recall, This House is Em/G, G, Cadd9, G with the root note descending in between each go around. HAND is Bm, D, G, D, A. They're similar, I admit that. HAND had an acoustic and a baritone below, House is more raw in production of the main chord progression (thankfully). Had it not been arranged the same way HAND was (guitar alone in the intro and after the solo) I guarantee we would not be talking about this because it's a different chord progression.

You are totally right about these facts (except that THINFS is on the Fm key, meaning capo on the first fret, if i also remember right). But the general feeling we get without analyzing the composition with music theory is that the intro shouts HAND. Well, most of us... Especially the Em/G to G of THINFS feels exactly like the Bm to D of HAND...(first second of the song, I sometimes momentarily confuse the two songs) It gives me the impression they first agreed "ok we need an awesome intro like that one in HAND" and then they wrote it.

Captain_jovi 08-21-2016 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's my faith (Post 1205194)
You are totally right about these facts (except that THINFS is on the Fm key, meaning capo on the first fret, if i also remember right). But the general feeling we get without analyzing the composition with music theory is that the intro shouts HAND. Well, most of us... Especially the Em/G to G of THINFS feels exactly like the Bm to D of HAND...(first second of the song, I sometimes momentarily confuse the two songs) It gives me the impression they first agreed "ok we need an awesome intro like that one in HAND" and then they wrote it.

They tune down half a step, so capo on the 2nd fret is correct. Phil in the video confirms this.

I get it, it can feel like HAND as much as people feel but people going off saying it's the exact same chords and a direct copy is where someone should draw the line. Maybe it was intentional, maybe it wasn't but it's not a direct lift.

Javier 08-21-2016 12:13 AM

You're right, but it is in Fm which would mean they either recorded it tuned down half a step or put it that way in the video because that's how it will be done live. Either way, there's not many songs that they recorded tuned down. And no, Follow doesn't count because it was recorded in G#m dammit!!! Lol....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

symbeline 08-21-2016 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's my faith (Post 1205194)

That's it, to a non expert the general consensus is that it sounds like HAND. Check other boards, FB etc. 90% say it's HAND part2

I hear "Rich Man Livin' in a Poor Man's House" + "What's Left of Me" in the beginning plus some parts of TIL,TIL and even "This is Our House" (I know, crazy :D) but the general impression is HAND after you hear the whole song.

My husband is tone deaf and always sings IML over the singles just to tease me (he even tried over MAM lol) and even he could recognize HAND. His knowledge of BJ post2000 is almost non existent, IML basically.

Thanks for the info. If I'm not mistaken both having the capo in the same position would give a similar feel, right?

It's my faith 08-21-2016 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by symbeline (Post 1205197)
If I'm not mistaken both having the capo in the same position would give a similar feel, right?

I don't know if this is true, but I have also noticed that while playing guitar! Maybe yes.... :D

Captain_jovi 08-21-2016 12:30 AM

It more or less would, yah. Similar ringing notes I guess. 90 percent of House is the chords in the intro so it doesn't play too close to the chords used in HAND.

Javier, I feel like a good deal of songs post 2005 have been recorded a half step down, am I crazy?

It's my faith 08-21-2016 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1205199)

Javier, I feel like a good deal of songs post 2005 have been recorded a half step down, am I crazy?

I have the same feeling but only for Jon's vocals...