Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Jon Bon Jovi and KOS charity show July 30th at Count Basie (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=68614)

Supersonic 08-10-2014 11:16 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1181060)
Yeah, some notes are flat and he skips the "bad medicine" part of the chorus, but that doesn't bother me, in fact I like that the rest of the band and the fans sing that part. Same happens in LOAP, but, as you said, doesn't mean it's no good :-)

Which is why I wouldn't go as far as saying "He can still sing Prayer". Jon can't sing most of the stuff and is lucky his fans know all the words. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Newton (Post 1181049)
Because Bon jovi are bigger than any of that crap you mentioned

Yeah! But no. Most of that "crap" he mentioned is bigger than Bon Jovi, more relevant, played more often on the radio, talked about more in the media and creates an overal bigger buzz anywhere than Bon Jovi does.

But even if it wasn't, your argument wouldn't hold up as in no way are Steppenwolf, Robert Palmer, Rod Stewart, Roy Orbison bigger than Bon Jovi are, so that's that when it comes to your contribution then?

I think the reason they're not covering new songs is because the songs need to be known by their audience. The average 40+ year old doesn't know any Kings of Leon and/or Muse. Their audience is simply too old for stuff like that. When the band added Mercy to the coversongs most of Backstage had no idea what song it was.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

jovifan93 08-10-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1181062)
Aloha !

Which is why I wouldn't go as far as saying "He can still sing Prayer". Jon can't sing most of the stuff and is lucky his fans know all the words. :)

Yeah! But no. Most of that "crap" he mentioned is bigger than Bon Jovi, more relevant, played more often on the radio, talked about more in the media and creates an overal bigger buzz anywhere than Bon Jovi does.

But even if it wasn't, your argument wouldn't hold up as in no way are Steppenwolf, Robert Palmer, Rod Stewart, Roy Orbison bigger than Bon Jovi are, so that's that when it comes to your contribution then?

I think the reason they're not covering new songs is because the songs need to be known by their audience. The average 40+ year old doesn't know any Kings of Leon and/or Muse. Their audience is simply too old for stuff like that. When the band added Mercy to the coversongs most of Backstage had no idea what song it was.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Well, we won't ever come to a total agreement about what Jon can or cannot sing, because you are more critical than I am or just say "he can't sing the song" or "the entire verses are flat", when I'd say "he can't sing some of the higher notes" or "some notes are flat" ;-) But doesn't matter, everyone is entitled to his opinion :-)

Concerning Mercy: I didn't know that song before the played it, either, because I rarely listen to the radio. From the sound of it, I though it was some 50s/60s tune that I didn't know. I had no idea it was current at the time, but still enjoyed it and started looking for it the day after the show, because it got stuck in my head ;-) Same thing happend with Rocking All Over The World in 1995, great song, just not if you listen to the original :-D

Rdkopper 08-10-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1181059)
They actually did that in 2008 with Mercy, for example.

I collect Bon Jovi covers as part of my BJ music collection and I could tell you that Mercy might be the only modern day cover that they've ever done.

I think there are a couple of reasons why. First, Jon is going to pick covers that fit his audience demographically. He knows his audience and plays to them. Second, it has to be song and artist Jon respects. Third, I think Jon is so business minded, he's not going to promote any new artist for free. Forth, I think Jon just has an old soul when it comes to RnR.

liljovi93 08-10-2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1181064)
I collect Bon Jovi covers as part of my BJ music collection and I could tell you that Mercy might be the only modern day cover that they've ever done.

I think there are a couple of reasons why. First, Jon is going to pick covers that fit his audience demographically. He knows his audience and plays to them. Second, it has to be song and artist Jon respects. Third, I think Jon is so business minded, he's not going to promote any new artist for free. Forth, I think Jon just has an old soul when it comes to RnR.

That and 'Vertigo'

Rdkopper 08-10-2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1181063)
Concerning Mercy: I didn't know that song before the played it, either, because I rarely listen to the radio. From the sound of it, I though it was some 50s/60s tune that I didn't know. I had no idea it was current at the time, but still enjoyed it and started looking for it the day after the show, because it got stuck in my head ;-) Same thing happend with Rocking All Over The World in 1995, great song, just not if you listen to the original :-D

I think that's why a Jon made this rare exception. Like you said, it's got a 50 / 60 feel to it.

But then you stated how u enjoyed it and started looking for it the next day. Jon just boosted sales for a current day artist he doesn't know or respect yet for free.

And yes, Jon's version of RAOTW is classic. Any cover they did back in the day was classic. Jon would make cover songs his own and pour his heart into them. Drift Away, Keep Me Hanging On, 80s Twist And Shout, Heartbreak Hotel... there are so many great ones.

Rdkopper 08-10-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1181065)
That and 'Vertigo'

I thought about Vertigo but that song was already 8 years old when Jon covered it

liljovi93 08-10-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1181067)
I thought about Vertigo but that song was already 8 years old when Jon covered it

Just under 7 years wasn't it?

Either way, I do think Bon Jovi should do the odd new modern song.

Rdkopper 08-10-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1181069)
Just under 7 years wasn't it?

Either way, I do think Bon Jovi should do the odd new modern song.

If you want to get technical but even so, that's a lifetime in the music business. 7 years is a few albums and a dozen singles later. That's Crush to Lost Highway or Runway to Blaze of Glory in Bon Jovi's 7 years.

Regardless, as much as I'd like to see Jon get away from some of those Wedding Song / Cruise Ship type covers, I get why he does them (for the reasons stated above)... But also add in, once an aged Rock Star starts doing modern type covers, one could question his abilities as a songwriter and his overall artistry.

If Jon does a modern cover and it wakes up the audience, that would be bad review. If the same thing happens with a Doors or Stones song, who cares.

SadieLady 08-10-2014 08:58 PM

Didn't Jon try and cover a Robbie Williams song last tour while he was in Britain? He did it but goofed it up and apologized.

united17 08-10-2014 10:54 PM

Thanks Seb, jovifan93, Rdkopper for answering my question. :)