Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Is There Anyone Who DOESN'T Like The Circle? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=49609)

Makedde 11-10-2009 09:12 AM

Is There Anyone Who DOESN'T Like The Circle?

Seriously, is there?

I have all the other albums, and every album I find I can sing along to, or sing the words in my head. The Circle, I cant. I dont mind WWBTF, and WWWB is a beautiful song, my favourite, but the others just pale in comparison. There isnt a song I like enough to sing along to. The lyrics dont get stuck in my head like songs from other albums.

I can listen to the album all the way through, but there is just something missing. I dont like it enough to want to hear it again. I have tried to like it, have listened to it numourous times, but its not happening. Its just not catchy enough. Its actually boring.

I am hoping there is someone out there who knows what I mean? Am I the only one who was disappointed in this album???

kenobi_on_a_prayer 11-10-2009 09:19 AM

There are lots of people who don't like The Circle. Fortunately I am not one of them, as I even like Fast Cars which everyone seems to hate.:p

steel_horse75 11-10-2009 09:25 AM

The Circle is the best post 2000 album.

if you dont like this then i feel for you

on the way to work today I was listening to Bounce - an album panned on here - and I have to say its my 2nd fav post 2000 album.
THere are only 2 songs I dont like AALY & RSOW

The Cirlce is certainly an album that I have been waiting for Jovi to make. Yes id like the New Jersey sound but it aint gonna happen!

jerseyjane 11-10-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makedde (Post 956639)
Seriously, is there?

I have all the other albums, and every album I find I can sing along to, or sing the words in my head. The Circle, I cant. I dont mind WWBTF, and WWWB is a beautiful song, my favourite, but the others just pale in comparison. There isnt a song I like enough to sing along to. The lyrics dont get stuck in my head like songs from other albums.

I can listen to the album all the way through, but there is just something missing. I dont like it enough to want to hear it again. I have tried to like it, have listened to it numourous times, but its not happening. Its just not catchy enough. Its actually boring.

I am hoping there is someone out there who knows what I mean? Am I the only one who was disappointed in this album???

I agree and I know what you mean.
But to be honest: I'm not sure if it was the whole ticket mess that ruined my excitement or if it's the album.
Right now I've listened to The Circle twice completely. And I don't want to listen to it all the way through again. I'm listening to one or two songs and I'm switching to another artist or another record. I don't feel the excitement and the wish to listen to it over and over again like I did with the older records.

Tictoc 11-10-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Seriously, is there?

It's not immediate, but not a lot of decent music is. Give it time, listen to the lyrics and think about what they mean to the band and you, then you should find a connection.

If that doesn't work the new Westlife album is out soon..

Thierry 11-10-2009 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tictoc (Post 956653)
If that doesn't work the new Westlife album is out soon..

Wow, that's the first time you are actually funny. Congrats :D.:cool:

Tictoc 11-10-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry (Post 956654)
Wow, that's the first time you are actually funny. Congrats :D.:cool:

Hey, it's your turn now. Come on it's not that hard when you really try.

crashed 11-10-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tictoc (Post 956655)
Hey, it's your turn now. Come on it's not that hard when you really try.

That was actually funny. I'm impressed dude :)

And this album is definitely a grower - and it's the first one in a long, long time if ever I actually wake up with one of the songs going through my head. It's a different one every day too. lol

And I also like Fast Cars. It's not the terrible song people are making it out to be. I'd still put it above almost everything on Lost Highway and most of HAND actually.

Antman 11-10-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Seriously, is there?

I unfortunately agree with you. The more I'm listening to it, the more I'm bored with it. The only song that has stuck in my head is Love's The Only Rule. But in all honesty I find it hard to imagine any one of these songs making a b-side or demo in days gone by.

yomamasofat 11-10-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Seriously, is there?

You are not alone. The album is ok but it's lacking memorable hooks. The only two songs that stuck in my mind are Love Is The Only Rule and WWBTF. The rest are ok, some have potentials to be great, but didn't get to that level.

brighton84 11-10-2009 02:36 PM

Same here unfortunately,its been on constant play for a week,not to many memorable moments for me on the album.Ive always liked Jovi as a rock band,songs with oomph the last two albums have definitley left their rock roots behind....I know some will say Jovi are maturing yadda yadda,listen to the lyrics but it is possible to stick to your roots no matter what youre age....

Seriously i like Bounce better than the Circle,if thats a crime then shoot me!!

BJaddict 11-10-2009 03:19 PM

Unlike many bullies around here, i kinda believe Jon Bon and Richie surf around drycounty.com and take your criticisim so seriously; they actualy know their high days were around These Days, and they actualy try to comply with your relentless demands, weird ha?

But it seems some will never get satisfied; no matter how Richie manipulates his guitar or no matter how the band tries to get back to its old sound, some dudes around here will always have something to complain about, they'll maybe get satified once Jovi make a Metallica album, or what? even then i reckon the complaining dudes will have something to wine about.

Get it over with already, The circle is a decent album; the percussion-guitar build up in Superman Tonight and the ''comn now''s towards the end of brokenpromiseland are enough for me to call this album good material.

;)

RS8MB0R8 11-10-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJaddict (Post 956723)
Unlike many bullies around here, i kinda believe Jon Bon and Richie surf around drycounty.com and take your criticisim so seriously; they actualy know their high days were around These Days, and they actualy try to comply with your relentless demands, weird ha?

But it seems some will never get satisfied; no matter how Richie manipulates his guitar or no matter how the band tries to get back to its old sound, some dudes around here will always have something to complain about, they'll maybe get satified once Jovi make a Metallica album, or what? even then i reckon the complaining dudes will have something to wine about.

Get it over with already, The circle is a decent album; the percussion-guitar build up in Superman Tonight and the ''comn now''s towards the end of brokenpromiseland are enough for me to call this album good material.

;)

For what it's worth, I wasn't going to post because I actually still love the album and it's been played to death because of learning songs. I have to add though that everyone has a right to say they don't feel anything for it and if the reasons behind why you think it's a decent album are restricted to those you listed, perhaps you are just easily pleased.

It has a lot more to offer IMO, which is why I really like it but what sounds good to one person's ear doesn't to another's. Maybe it'll grow on some listeners, maybe it won't but being able to discuss topics like this is what makes this board better than BSWJBJ. If you see it as whining, don't read these topics. :roll:

dcj28 11-10-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomamasofat (Post 956705)
You are not alone. The album is ok but it's lacking memorable hooks. The only two songs that stuck in my mind are Love Is The Only Rule and WWBTF. The rest are ok, some have potentials to be great, but didn't get to that level.

It will probably grow on you after this is what you said a few weeks ago:

1. WWWB and WFTWM are horrible.
2. Fast Cars and Live Before You Die are boring.
3. Shala Shala and Halle Halle are gay.

Those are it.

behemot 11-10-2009 04:52 PM

Yep, you can count me in too. Though I admit it's not a bad album, it doesn't do it for me. I don't like it.

Matrix15 11-10-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brighton84 (Post 956711)
Seriously i like Bounce better than the Circle,if thats a crime then shoot me!!

:2gunfire::2gunfire::snipersm: :crazyeye: <--Brighton84

TBoy 11-10-2009 05:02 PM

WWWB
Superman
Bullet
Brokenpromiseland
Loves The Only Rulle
Happy Now
Learn To Love

All GREAT songs.

Ang1e 11-10-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJaddict (Post 956723)

;)

I agree with that. Seems like some people here try to purposely find a fault with the band. They did change their first single, because of the fans and that wasn't good enough, even though all the bitching here is aimed to make the band do exactly that.

brighton84 11-10-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matrix15 (Post 956736)
:2gunfire::2gunfire::snipersm: :crazyeye: <--Brighton84

Shot through the heart....:-D

Matrix15 11-10-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brighton84 (Post 956771)
Shot through the heart....:-D

What is the distance between a bullet and a gun?

letitrock 11-10-2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

Seriously, is there?

You're kidding right? I hate this album with a passion and am pretty much at the stage (although not quite) where I'm no longer a fan.

You, like many others, have probably just become used to increasingly lowering standards from the bands release. Each album has a little bit of a sound of the last album but then moves into a slightly different direction at the same time. By the time you do this 3, 4, 5, 6 times you find that album 6 (or rather album X) has absolutely no resemblance to album 3, but does have some of album 5.

This goes on and on with the band to the extent that as much as I hated albums such as Crush, Bounce, Have A Nice Day... I very occasionally listen back to it and (still hating them a fair bit!) start saying to myself "compared to the latest album this is actually pretty good" *

* should reclarify that "pretty good" isn't a great complement given what I've said above

crashed 11-10-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letitrock (Post 956839)
You're kidding right? I hate this album with a passion and am pretty much at the stage (although not quite) where I'm no longer a fan.

You, like many others, have probably just become used to increasingly lowering standards from the bands release. Each album has a little bit of a sound of the last album but then moves into a slightly different direction at the same time. By the time you do this 3, 4, 5, 6 times you find that album 6 (or rather album X) has absolutely no resemblance to album 3, but does have some of album 5.

This goes on and on with the band to the extent that as much as I hated albums such as Crush, Bounce, Have A Nice Day... I very occasionally listen back to it and (still hating them a fair bit!) start saying to myself "compared to the latest album this is actually pretty good" *

* should reclarify that "pretty good" isn't a great complement given what I've said above

except most of us who like The Circle aren't comparing it to Lost Highway.

IMO, It's better than Slippery, which means it's in their top 5 albums.

You say that each album has steadily gotten worse, but I see The Circle as a return to form for a band that's been lost on the last few records.

I don't really know what the people who don't like it are wanting - if they'd produced an album that sounds just like HAND (paint by numbers Jovi) they'd have gotten slated, but now this album has a "U2" vibe they get slated for that too. If BJ didn't have a different sound on each album they'd have become irrelevant. The Circle to me is a mixture of maybe 3 albums; KTF, These Days and Crush. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Supersonic 11-10-2009 11:19 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashed (Post 956844)
I don't really know what the people who don't like it are wanting - if they'd produced an album that sounds just like HAND (paint by numbers Jovi) they'd have gotten slated, but now this album has a "U2" vibe they get slated for that too. If BJ didn't have a different sound on each album they'd have become irrelevant. The Circle to me is a mixture of maybe 3 albums; KTF, These Days and Crush. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

The Circle has got nothing to do with an album like Keep The Faith or These Days. The only thing it resembles from the Keep The Faith era are the promo pics, and saying it resembles anything from These Days is mostly because the lyrics are darker.

However, where on those albums recorded in the nineties the band let their music breathe and didn't turn everything in an unrecognizable mess it's the complete opposite on The Circle.

It's really not that hard and has nothing to do with a return to form. A return to form would mean proper vocals, catchy chorussess and proper guitar solo's. There's none of that on The Circle, even Lost Highway had more of that. I honestly don't understand how anyone can think that this is better than Slippery. I think the first 2 albums are better than this turd.

Bon Jovi are pretty much irrelevant anyway, it's not like they're more accepted among fans because of the sound that changes. And they most certainly have become more irrelevant the past 10 years compared to their decade in the nineties where their tours actually sold out and their albums sold millions.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

TBoy 11-10-2009 11:36 PM

Maybe I m a bit out of this world, but Crush sold 10 million copies? HAND sold about 5? LH sold about 4 and it was promoted as country record. Circle will sell good, too... They have just beaten Beatles record in Japan. They are touring every 2-3 years now. They had the biggest tour of the year. They are opening and closing arenas, stadiums. And they are irrelevant? You must be crazy or stupid to say that.

Supersonic 11-10-2009 11:45 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBoy (Post 956850)
Maybe I m a bit out of this world, but Crush sold 10 million copies? HAND sold about 5? LH sold about 4 and it was promoted as country record. Circle will sell good, too... They have just beaten Beatles record in Japan. They are touring every 2-3 years now. They had the biggest tour of the year. They are opening and closing arenas, stadiums. And they are irrelevant? You must be crazy or stupid to say that.

Crush sold 10 million copies based upon 1 hit single and the fact that it was the first Bon Jovi album in years. HAND sold 5 million based upon the country cross over hit they had in America. LH sold as well because of them focussing on the country market.

Compared to Keep The Faith (which spawned 7 singles all cracking the European top 40) and TD (spawning 5 singles which all made it to the European top 40), them touring the world and actually selling out everywhere they play and having a following that's actually increasing instead of shrinking pretty much shows how irrelevant they nowadays are.

Bon Jovi got a huge interest because of It's My Life but were never capable of keeping that audience. Most lost interest after Bounce, the prime example of this board never having so many new members during Crush but losing so many after the Bounce tour.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

TBoy 11-11-2009 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 956851)
Crush sold 10 million copies based upon 1 hit single and the fact that it was the first Bon Jovi album in years. HAND sold 5 million based upon the country cross over hit they had in America. LH sold as well because of them focussing on the country market.

Compared to Keep The Faith (which spawned 7 singles all cracking the European top 40) and TD (spawning 5 singles which all made it to the European top 40)

Yeah, and Circle will sell based upon something too?! So it means they are irrelevant. They should sell albums based on something different then hits, touring, market? And I dont think they wont to release 5-6 singles these days.

CDHEAVEN 11-11-2009 12:08 AM

More negative pish from Supertosser I see :mad:

Wanker!!!

DevilsSon 11-11-2009 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letitrock (Post 956839)

hhehee....yeah...Crush has actually made it to the upper half of Jovi records by now.

Supersonic 11-11-2009 12:24 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBoy (Post 956852)
Yeah, and Circle will sell based upon something too?! So it means they are irrelevant. They should sell albums based on something different then hits, touring, market? And I dont think they wont to release 5-6 singles these days.

You misunderstood. Every album since Crush has sold it's copies based upon the first hitsingle. As soon as there were more singles released they all tanked, showing that every album just had 1 or 2 good songs. As soon as they started to release their second single the single tanked and it didn't help selling more copies at all.

When Keep The Faith was released the album stayed in the charts for a longer period because album cuts like Dry County and I Believe were released on single simply because every song did very well as a single, showing that album cuts worked as a single. They will release 6 singles if every single is succesful. The last time this was the case was back in 1995 with the release of These Days. Crush spawned 3 singles (OWN doesn't count) and only 1 of them was a hit.

All copies sold of the Circle right now are based upon their standard people who bought the Circle, hence it showing up at number 2. If this album doesn't spawn a hit it means Bon Jovi is irrelevant because no one apart from their fanbase (who buy it because it's Bon Jovi) cares. You're only relevant when you're making an impact on something, and Bon Jovi haven't made an impact on anything in years.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

TBoy 11-11-2009 12:33 AM

Actually, HAND then had 2 hit singles? :)

But, I bet that I Believe wouldnt be accepted that good now like it was then. Thats the main problem. And I wouldnt call them irrelevant if they are not gaining new fans. How much fans U2 gained then?

Rob 11-11-2009 12:43 AM

I haven't listened to The Circle much yet so can't properly pass judgement. I'll post a review when I'm ready, but what I can say so far is that The Circle isn't exactly a vintage Jovi album by any means, and I think anyone who thinks it's the best album since These Days needs their ears testing.

yomamasofat 11-11-2009 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcj28 (Post 956733)
It will probably grow on you after this is what you said a few weeks ago:

1. WWWB and WFTWM are horrible.
2. Fast Cars and Live Before You Die are boring.
3. Shala Shala and Halle Halle are gay.

Those are it.

Songs don't grow on me man, after a few spins if it doesn't stick, it's just not that memorable.

Makedde 11-11-2009 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ang1e (Post 956764)
I agree with that. Seems like some people here try to purposely find a fault with the band. They did change their first single, because of the fans and that wasn't good enough, even though all the bitching here is aimed to make the band do exactly that.

I am not trying to find fault with them. I love pretty much everything they have done, but listening to people here say how fantasic the album was, I guess my expectations were a little high and I didnt get what I was expecting.

A little negative critism is not a bad thing - and I believe this is my very first thread (even post) in which I have expressed a dislike for something they have done.

That said, I am glad others agree with me. Those who like the album, thats great, but we all have different tastes and this is just an album that doesnt seem to be growing on me.

Ang1e 11-11-2009 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makedde (Post 956886)
I am not trying to find fault with them. I love pretty much everything they have done, but listening to people here say how fantasic the album was, I guess my expectations were a little high and I didnt get what I was expecting.

A little negative critism is not a bad thing - and I believe this is my very first thread (even post) in which I have expressed a dislike for something they have done.

That said, I am glad others agree with me. Those who like the album, thats great, but we all have different tastes and this is just an album that doesnt seem to be growing on me.

Your review is fair enough. But have you heard some of the things on here? This is shit, that is shit. Hello! One of the biggest rock bands in the world changed their song because of a 14 year-old on youtube and because of the fans. Seriously, how much more open minded can they be?

Ang1e 11-11-2009 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 956851)
Aloha !
Bon Jovi got a huge interest because of It's My Life but were never capable of keeping that audience. Most lost interest after Bounce, the prime example of this board never having so many new members during Crush but losing so many after the Bounce tour.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Do you really judge Bon Jovi's success by the people who come here? Considering you chase half of them away, you must give Jovi a lot more credit. :)

Makedde 11-11-2009 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ang1e (Post 956896)
Your review is fair enough. But have you heard some of the things on here? This is shit, that is shit. Hello! One of the biggest rock bands in the world changed their song because of a 14 year-old on youtube and because of the fans. Seriously, how much more open minded can they be?

I have heard a lot of crap spilled here, by certain people who attack everything Jovi does.
This is the first time I have ever critisised the band. I have to have a real big problem in order to do that - I love these guys, I listen to them all the time, I love their songs, they are amazing. But the new album was a disappointment, for me, anyway. I can listen to it, and I dont hate it, but its not what I was expecting.

Which song did they change? I've been living under a rock for awhile so am not up with all the goss.

steel_horse75 11-11-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makedde (Post 956919)
I have heard a lot of crap spilled here, by certain people who attack everything Jovi does.
This is the first time I have ever critisised the band. I have to have a real big problem in order to do that - I love these guys, I listen to them all the time, I love their songs, they are amazing. But the new album was a disappointment, for me, anyway. I can listen to it, and I dont hate it, but its not what I was expecting.

Which song did they change? I've been living under a rock for awhile so am not up with all the goss.

They changed WWBTF - they put a solo in it after the original didnt have one.

The internet is a place for people to moan.

New Jersey is probably the best album they have done but if this baord was around back then it would have probably been slated. Theres too much analyzing and not enough listening these days.

RS8MB0R8 11-11-2009 09:37 AM

Tbh, there is a lot of negativity vented here - more than is perhaps proportionate to what is deserved and I've kind of built up an immunity to it over the years. "People love to complain," has never had a clearer (or more prolonged) demonstration. I have been guilty of it as well, I will openly admit - Bounce for instance.

That said, if people like to repost and paraphrase themselves in multiple threads with their opinions, it doesn't bother me. Why should it? My opinion is that the album is brilliant. It lacks a truly stand-out hit single but the so-called 'album tracks' are so good that I don't really care. I'd rather an album I can listen to and enjoy all the way through than an album with a few really memorable tracks and a load of garbage filling the cracks.

The opinions of people on this board are extreme compared to general Jovi listeners. I tend to gauge a better overall opinion of a track on how it goes over when we play it live - it's the only time we get a good reflection of what a, dare I say it 'open-minded,' group of Jovi fans think to the music. Bearing in mind, most of the time we play 'Dry County' live, there is a fantastic reception and mutterings around the room of, 'Wow, Dry County!' we know that it's not just your casual Jovi fans that come to the gigs but people who actually own the back-catalogue.

When we aired WWBTF these last couple of times, we had people coming up to us at the end saying they had not listened to Jovi properly in years but the new stuff sounds so good, they are going to start listening again... and that's after 'Born to Follow'. Considering most people here hate that track and rank the other songs considerably higher, imagine how they will feel when they actually go away and listen to the whole album.

It has gotten to the stage where I think some people on the board will never be happy no matter what is released. Perhaps I have lowered my expectations in the years following Crush...

...or, perhaps the fact that I can listen to this album all the way through twice a day and still love it and know I will still love it next week/month/year shows that there is a marked difference between this and all other post-2000 releases. I still can't stomach Crush all the way through, I haven't listened to Bounce in years and only the better tracks off of HAND get played. Lost Highway? I don't listen to that either. Personally, I don't think that's a sign that I've lowered my standards and yet here I am still listening to The Circle on repeat.

I feel genuinely sorry for those fans that can't get into it. This, for me, is what Crush should have been after TD. No album is faultless and I don't pretend that this is any different but it's certainly the best material for 14 years to my ears and that can't be seen as anything other than a good thing.

franzi_bjf 11-11-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 956855)
Every album since Crush has sold it's copies based upon the first hitsingle. As soon as there were more singles released they all tanked, showing that every album just had 1 or 2 good songs. As soon as they started to release their second single the single tanked and it didn't help selling more copies at all.

I don't agree with that at all. Just because a single is successfull doesn't mean it's a good song, just look at the crap that currently tops the single-charts! And a song tanking in the charts doesn't necessarily make it a bad song either. The charts reflect what the masses like, it says nothing about the quality of a song.
I think that BJ often picked the wrong songs to release as a single, some songs just don't work as a single but that doesn't make them bad. I also think that you have to consider promotion. A first single inevitably gets more attention than any further release and if it is a big hit like IML, I would think that there is such a think as saturation of demand. People who would potentially like that kind of music already bought Crush because IML was so big. Thus a second single, or even a third, just doesn't meet any demand any more.

crashed 11-11-2009 11:56 AM

Slippery is a very dated album that has maybe 2 or 3 really good songs and the rest are actually kind of average. Their decent, good to listen to, nothing mind blowing. Kind of like most of HAND to me. New Jersey of course is a different matter.