Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   It's Hard Letting You Go (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=51236)

Wrath Mania 06-27-2010 11:11 PM

It's Hard Letting You Go

Now granted, they undoubtedly rehearsed it, but this again shows the strange phenomenon of how certain songs Jon remembers the lyrics no problem whereas others he can't remember for the life of him. This is regardless of the time too, in fact it's usually the newer songs like Brokenpromiseland that he sucks on lyrically. Now yeah, I know he was that teleprompter there to cheat, but unless he's taking some really squinty looks through his eyes he don't seem to be using it much on Letting You Go.

Which leads me to my point: Do you think certain songs Jon remembers- and performs better- because they hold a higher or more personal place for him than others? Why did he perfectly remember I Believe last tour or Let It Rock this tour, but had to constantly take looks at his cheat sheet for Brokenpromiseland? If it's because certain songs that are personal for him he remembers better, that also leads me to ask: what is Its Hard Letting You Go about for Jon?

Captain_jovi 06-27-2010 11:21 PM

I love that way of looking at it. He may say it was 16 years since they last did it but it was done once or twice on the Crush tour, and solo by Jon at a fundraiser in 02/03 (Can someone confirm the date? It may have actually been a little later than that), and rehearsed last tour. I firmly believe this is one of those songs that Jon is proud of. I think you got it absolutely right, that's why he knew the words so well.

Goldsausage 06-27-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1001293)
I love that way of looking at it.

Same here, I was expecting yet another Jovi-Bash-Fest but was pleasently surprised.

But to answer the question of the original post, no idea.

luceknight 06-28-2010 12:27 AM

Actually I wish I could know what the entire TD album means to Jon...
and Richie, of course...he wrote the songs too...

its such a melancholic album, the lyrics can hurt you...seriously...and the way Jon sings, his voice, full of passion. The melody doesnt help either...its my ****ing favourite album!

It's hard letting you go, well...I gotta tell you that is one of my least favs of the album, but the lyrics really touch me. Just like My Guitar...

For me, one of the bests, if not the best album in lyrics content.

And looks like they're finding it again ^^ I dont know if...for fans requests or what
but they seem to enjoy a lot performing TD songs. I think this album has a deep meaning for them.

Matrix15 06-28-2010 12:46 AM

Oooh, Can't believe I saw it!!! It was brilliant!

Jons voice really has started recovering...

liljovi93 06-28-2010 12:58 AM

Yeah, I totally agree with everything. I've noticed he isn't looking at the lyrics sheet or the prompter on most of the rare songs. You could be right about all of them points.
Maybe Jon has realised that he had a real passion for some songs back then and actually loves performing them again?

After most of the rare songs they've done, Jon turns around to the band and nods as if to say 'I enjoyed that.'

severo17 06-28-2010 01:04 AM

I actually think that Jon loves the These Days album, but he's just kinda lazy to perform the songs because of the high vocals or just because the album has lot of "dark" content.

Wrath Mania 06-28-2010 01:05 AM

I remember Seb one time speculating that the TD album must have held a lot of personal meaning and vulnerabilities for Jon, because in the WWWB doc Jon mentioned how he hates showing that side of him to the audience. I think that is also good speculation to throw in.

Dawn 06-28-2010 01:07 AM

I think if it has a personal connection with the song then it is easier to remember... who knows he could sing it to dot on a monthly basis...

Could you imagine being able to live with that voice , lucky Dot, its like having a human juke box.. Jon sing this one ...... :D

Dawn

mrleaf 06-28-2010 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn (Post 1001327)
I think if it has a personal connection with the song then it is easier to remember... who knows he could sing it to dot on a monthly basis...

Could you imagine being able to live with that voice , lucky Dot, its like having a human juke box.. Jon sing this one ...... :D

Dawn

Or it could also be "Jon come on youve been singing ...... each time your in the shower how about something different for a change"

ticos_stick 06-28-2010 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matrix15 (Post 1001318)
Oooh, Can't believe I saw it!!! It was brilliant!

Jons voice really has started recovering...

His voice has been fine since the Lost Highway album and has steadily got better from there on.

Matrix15 06-28-2010 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1001331)
His voice has been fine since the Lost Highway album and has steadily got better from there on.

It was good in LH but the stopping smoking has some something more noticable. Bed of Roses last night sounded different to LH, wonderfully crisp to listen to and Jon had less problem with the higher notes.

Bounce7800 06-28-2010 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matrix15 (Post 1001335)
It was good in LH but the stopping smoking has some something more noticable. Bed of Roses last night sounded different to LH, wonderfully crisp to listen to and Jon had less problem with the higher notes.

Must have been last night of the tour syndrome too (or at least a few weeks break) as he was going for notes that he hadnt been trying for previously and getting them too.

alessiasambo 06-28-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luceknight (Post 1001313)
Actually I wish I could know what the entire TD album means to Jon...
and Richie, of course...he wrote the songs too...

its such a melancholic album, the lyrics can hurt you...seriously...and the way Jon sings, his voice, full of passion. The melody doesnt help either...its my ****ing favourite album!

It's hard letting you go, well...I gotta tell you that is one of my least favs of the album, but the lyrics really touch me. Just like My Guitar...

For me, one of the bests, if not the best album in lyrics content.

And looks like they're finding it again ^^ I dont know if...for fans requests or what
but they seem to enjoy a lot performing TD songs. I think this album has a deep meaning for them.

I love this album too so much, I like the lyrics and music both, and that it's so deep and thoughtful.

I'd love to know what those songs mean to Jon and Richie too!

luceknight 06-28-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alessiasambo (Post 1001432)
I love this album too so much, I like the lyrics and music both, and that it's so deep and thoughtful.

I'd love to know what those songs mean to Jon and Richie too!

yea, especially because of some stories of how Hearts Breaking Even was written...:rolleyes:...hmmm
...who...knows....

anyway...these lyrics must mean something very special to Jon, and he managed to touch more 1000000+ hearts around the world with them...
such a special guy, isnt he?

alessiasambo 06-28-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luceknight (Post 1001433)
yea, especially because of some stories of how Hearts Breaking Even was written...:rolleyes:...hmmm
...who...knows....

anyway...these lyrics must mean something very special to Jon, and he managed to touch more 1000000+ hearts around the world with them...
such a special guy, isnt he?

Oh yes he is, but Richie is too *is a Richie girl* they both are special and when they come together magic is created. ;) The magic of great music!

Which stories do you mean? I know just one story about Heart Breaking Even, dunno where I read it anymore. Apparently Jon wrote that song alone after Richie had gone off to Los Angeles on a date with Heather...

luceknight 06-28-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alessiasambo (Post 1001434)
Which stories do you mean? I know just one story about Heart Breaking Even, dunno where I read it anymore. Apparently Jon wrote that song alone after Richie had gone off to Los Angeles on a date with Heather...

hmmm...interesting story, isnt it?
Wish I could know what Jon has to say about it :p

anyway...and about It's Hard...its one of the saddest songs in the album, some real depression was going throu Jon's mind at that time, uh?

foxli 06-28-2010 04:52 PM

When Jon started to sing this song on Saturday I immediately stopped moving. I was just standing there, freezed to the ground, jawdropped.

Then Richie kicked in with his harmonies and the tears started to flow - magic!!!

alessiasambo 06-28-2010 05:00 PM

Yeah I'd like to know what Jon and Rich think about that song too. Real interesting indeed.

It's hard...is so very depressing and sad I don't like to listen to it much anymore cause I listened to it over and over again the day my grandma passed away. So it's especially sad for me. If they played that at my show I would end up crying my eyes out I think.

I really wonder too what Jon was going through when he wrote that song...maybe he lost a beloved person too.

alessiasambo 06-28-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxli (Post 1001438)
When Jon started to sing this song on Saturday I immediately stopped moving. I was just standing there, freezed to the ground, jawdropped.

Then Richie kicked in with his harmonies and the tears started to flow - magic!!!

Wow you were so lucky to get it live! Wonderful! I didn't dare to watch any yt vids of it yet because I know I will cry if I do...

cowboy2002 06-28-2010 05:13 PM

It wasnt on the original setlist or an audible, and if it was rehearsed, then it hasnt been practised very often (Hugh made quite a few errors)

I'd like to think that it was spontaneous, just adds to the magic!

I really would have liked to record it myself, but all i could do was stand motionless, in full appreciation and covered in goosebumps!

foxli 06-28-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboy2002 (Post 1001447)
It wasnt on the original setlist or an audible, and if it was rehearsed, then it hasnt been practised very often (Hugh made quite a few errors)

I'd like to think that it was spontaneous, just adds to the magic!

I really would have liked to record it myself, but all i could do was stand motionless, in full appreciation and covered in goosebumps!

I'm pretty sure it was. There were several similar banners with "After all These Days" on one side and "(It's hard) Letting You Go" on the backside.

And during the song, Richie and Dave were exchanging glances as if they were figuring out how to bring it home properly ;)

Emil 06-28-2010 05:20 PM

That was the definite highlight of my four show run. Absolutely adorable, and quite possibly my favorite live Jovi moment ever. In-****in'-sane.

luceknight 06-28-2010 05:43 PM

we can make some theories about the meaning of the lyrics, ya know? XD

JoviForever 06-28-2010 07:13 PM

The song was written for Moonlight & Valentino. Anyone who has seen it will understand why, because the main characters (played by Elizabeth Perkins) husband dies right at the beginning of the film. There is also a scene in it when Elizabeth Perkins & Whoopi Goldberg were playing with tarot cards.

Becky 06-28-2010 09:01 PM

I remember Richie said Jon was working through some pretty dark stuff when they wrote These Days. It surprised me that he would make a statement like that.

Crushgen24/88 06-28-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrath Mania (Post 1001326)
I remember Seb one time speculating that the TD album must have held a lot of personal meaning and vulnerabilities for Jon, because in the WWWB doc Jon mentioned how he hates showing that side of him to the audience. I think that is also good speculation to throw in.

I think there's some truth to that. There's also a quote from Jon in the book (one of the ones I thought would make a little noise on here)

Quote:

The These Days record is perceived as being socially conscious or darker. "Hey God" and those kinds of songs worked great for me but they aren't necessarily the ones that work best live or became the ones I perform live every night. Usually it's the songs like "It's My Life" and "Livin' On A Prayer" that say to those folks, "Come on, get up, you can do it! Get out there and fight the next round." They're the ones that resonate. I know it's not easy for anybody in this day and age. It's getting harder every day. People want optimism. They want to know everything is going to be alright.

SamboraQueen21 06-28-2010 09:23 PM

Sigh... brilliant. I love when Jon sings with his eyes closed straight from the heart.... Thanks for posting

Goldsausage 06-28-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1001321)
After most of the rare songs they've done, Jon turns around to the band and nods as if to say 'I enjoyed that.'

Yes I noticed that at the gig (yeah, I witnessed that baby!). I loved it, it was like "Wow guys, we're giving them what they want and they're ****ing loving it."

saoirse 06-28-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luceknight (Post 1001436)
hmmm...interesting story, isnt it?
Wish I could know what Jon has to say about it :p

anyway...and about It's Hard...its one of the saddest songs in the album, some real depression was going throu Jon's mind at that time, uh?

Letting you Go was written for Moonlight and Valentino.
(and ooops, someone else had already answered this *deletes long reply*)

Hearts Breaking Even was written about Richie. I believe it's about his many relationships.

I used to have an old Kerrang magazine where Jon explained all the These Days songs. Aaaah, good old Kerrang days!

luceknight 06-28-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saoirse (Post 1001530)
Hearts Breaking Even was written about Richie. I believe it's about his many relationships.

I used to have an old Kerrang magazine where Jon explained all the These Days songs. Aaaah, good old Kerrang days!

Oh, pleeeeease find this magazine for us ^^

milomom 06-28-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luceknight (Post 1001555)

I may have it, too. I'll try to remember to check when I get home.

luceknight 06-28-2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 1001557)
I may have it, too. I'll try to remember to check when I get home.

YAY, thanks Terri!
I'd love to see what the guys had to say about my fav album ^^

saoirse 06-28-2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luceknight (Post 1001555)

I scanned it for you. :)
I didn't go too crazy on the quality but I hope it's easy enough to read.

1: http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...arious/BJ1.jpg
2: http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...arious/BJ2.jpg
3: http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...arious/BJ3.jpg
4: http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...arious/BJ4.jpg
photo: http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...arious/BJ5.jpg

Enjoy!

Arash 06-28-2010 11:10 PM

I guess it was played on the spot and without rehearsal. Jon says the name of the chord they should play, right at 2:35.

luceknight 06-28-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saoirse (Post 1001572)

THANK YOU very much ^^
Had a good time reading this!! Thanks!!

Crushgen24/88 06-29-2010 02:35 AM

Quote:

Thanks so much for that. Good read, pretty interesting.

Kathleen 06-29-2010 03:00 AM

Quote:

Thanks very much - I enjoyed reading that.

foxli 06-29-2010 07:46 AM

Quote:

Thanks very much !

Bounce7800 06-29-2010 11:08 AM

Thanks for scanning those articles, a great read I remember from years ago, I must have the magazine in my loft somewhere!