Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Poll: Should Bon Jovi continue after THINFS (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69641)

jovifan85 09-08-2016 09:35 PM

Poll: Should Bon Jovi continue after THINFS

I am interested in the Boards, views. Is it time for Jon to call it quits? Or OK his voice is weak vocally, but can produce the odd good song(s) on future albums? This vote doesn't have a time limit. so I am just curious in fans thoughts now and after hearing THINFS Album when released and time to digest it. And of course THINFS Tour of 2017.

UPDATE: After hearing THINFS, at Count Basie, I think this poll should be closed! I love it! But some fans, may think otherwise, so I leave it up to the board to either keep this or delete it.

Captain_jovi 09-08-2016 09:39 PM

Absolutely. If people are having fun and enjoying the live shows then by all means.

Rdkopper 09-08-2016 09:44 PM

If you are going to ask a general question, you should include the reasons why you think they shouldn't.

I haven't heard the new album yet or did I see the 2017 tour.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Thierry 09-08-2016 10:09 PM

I'd say no, unless they reinvent themselves. So many clones of other songs lately that it is getting boring.

Hopefully Jon can push his voice to at least one more proper tour.

JackieBlue 09-08-2016 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1206158)
Absolutely. If people are having fun and enjoying the live shows then by all means.

I agree 100%. They should continue as long as they want to. It's not like people who don't like what they're doing are going to be forced to support the band, and those who do still enjoy them can just keep rockin' (or poppin', as the case may be...). :)

"One man's trash is another man's treasure." Don't know who said it originally, but it's still the truth.

Rdkopper 09-08-2016 11:08 PM

I'm still tying to figure out why they shouldn't continue?

The majority of the reviews have been mainly positive for THINFS. Knockout is different but there are 14 or so other tracks that still need to be heard and the 2017 tour hasn't even started yet so what would my opinion be based on? Knockout? Too early for this poll... Check back in a year!!!

jovifan85 09-08-2016 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1206167)

The majority of the reviews have been mainly positive for THINFS. Knockout is different but there are 14 or so other tracks that still need to be heard and the 2017 tour hasn't even started yet so what would my opinion be based on? Knockout? Too early for this poll... Check back in a year!!!

I like to keep this poll open. Understand if admin/owner disagrees. Interested in what fans think now or when asked again after THINFS Tour in 2017.

Manbou 09-09-2016 03:14 AM

Quote:

Regarding Knockout, I think one has to see the positive side. Even though some may disagree, imo this song is a step outside their comfort zone and finally something new (ok, besides the lyrics).

Regarding the thread poll question, I won't answer it before I heard the full album. I admit to have had similar hopes for WAN, but I'm still wishing for a fulminant comeback with THINFS, less on a commercial, but more on a musical level. And with musical I mean: likeable for me ;)
So I will listen to all the songs on the album and maybe the promo shows in the fall, and then see.

KSantaFe 09-09-2016 04:07 AM

As far as I'm concerned, no matter what Jon or the band release in the future, I'll always want them to continue in the hope that something good will come out of it. I'm obviously putting aside the health and well-being of the band - if they want out, then by all means they should stop. Nothing will diminish the legacy they've established in my mind. If future albums only have 1 or 2 songs that I enjoy, I would be bloody mad, but I'd still want them to keep recording and releasing.

Manbou 09-09-2016 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSantaFe (Post 1206194)
As far as I'm concerned, no matter what Jon or the band release in the future, I'll always want them to continue in the hope that something good will come out of it. I'm obviously putting aside the health and well-being of the band - if they want out, then by all means they should stop. Nothing will diminish the legacy they've established in my mind. If future albums only have 1 or 2 songs that I enjoy, I would be bloody mad, but I'd still want them to keep recording and releasing.

Similar with me :)

In some mysterious ways, they can put out pretty much everything with me still liking it... even if I dismissed it as garbage if it was released by someone other than Bon Jovi. Don't understand that either.

KSantaFe 09-09-2016 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manbou (Post 1206196)
Similar with me :)

In some mysterious ways, they can put out pretty much everything with me still liking it... even if I dismissed it as garbage if it was released by someone other than Bon Jovi. Don't understand that either.

I think it comes down to the fact that we're both of the younger generation of fans, and so we didn't get to experience the "glory days" of the band. Perhaps it's an example of 'youth optimism' ;)

soundfire624 09-09-2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSantaFe (Post 1206194)

well said...amen to that, they should go on no matter what..whether it might be just whole full album like "not running anymore" i am gonna still buy their songs

Jonny G 09-09-2016 08:48 AM

A big part will have to be based on how successful the tour is commercially. And if the takings are lower than JBJ needs to keep the money-men happy then I'd see that as what ends the band and sends him on expensive fan club events to tick over until he's had enough.
Also another point could be the Richie line of needing a family life being what gives Phil X issues. He has a younger family and this will be the first full tour for him, so it will be a test of how comfortable he is with being a full time cog in the machine.
In terms of the music made, I'll listen to whatever is made until it stops, but the reduced quality doesn't bode well for longevity of the band either.

steel_horse75 09-09-2016 09:27 AM

I think the problem people have is that the band were so good between 1989 and 1996 that the bar was set so high.

They were never going to be as good as that ever again.

I said yesterday that i although im enjoying the two songs ive heard so far its way different to to the classics. But thats modern day Bon Jovi.

You either stick to the classics or accept the new stuff for what it is and slip it into your collection.

Im sure fans of Paul McCartney say the same thing.

crashed 09-09-2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSantaFe (Post 1206201)
I think it comes down to the fact that we're both of the younger generation of fans, and so we didn't get to experience the "glory days" of the band. Perhaps it's an example of 'youth optimism' ;)

I don't know - I've been a fan since the "Blaze" album and my first show was on the These Days tour, and I still enjoy most band albums to a degree - more importantly there's always still two or three songs in each album that I love.

And then on Burning Bridges they had Teardrop which is one of my favourite songs the band has ever done.

For every Dry County or These Days, there's always been a Woman In Love or If That's What It Takes.

This House Is Not For Sale and Knockout (which I haven't listened to yet) are more like the singles for public consumption - the real gems like almost all the treasures in Bon Jovi's catalogue, will be for the fans.

JackieBlue 09-10-2016 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSantaFe (Post 1206201)

It could be that. I kinda hope it is, because that would prove that I'm young at heart, at least! LOL

Unless by "younger generation of fans" you weren't referring to actual age, but to "Jovi-age" (i.e., when you started following the band). In that case, I'd fall into that category anyway, since I didn't get into BJ until around 2005.

Even though I came late to the party, I quickly backed up and listened to every song, show, and interview I could get my hands on; and I think the band was at their peak and most consistently gave us their best music and energy, both in albums and live shows (tyvm, YouTube!), from their beginning up through NJ.

I emphasized the word "best", though, because I love this band and their music; and for me, it would be a huge leap from their "best" work down to "they suck"! I have enjoyed every song from their first release right up through "Knockout", including the solo releases from Jon, Richie, and David. I fully expect to enjoy the rest of THINFS and RSO's new album as well.

Not every song or album is on my list of all-time favorites, but I made a BJ Chronology playlist with everything from the debut album forward, including solo work, and I can honestly say that I never feel a need to skip over any song.

KTF never represented the high mark for me that it seems to for a lot of ppl here, but I think TD could also be counted among their best. And whether it's their "best" or not, Lost Highway will probably always be among my personal favorites.

I don't know if it's because I don't expect perfection, or because I like all kinds of music so if they stray from a particular sound or style it doesn't bother me, or if it's just that these guys don't know ugly; but they've never failed to give me something I like.

I don't expect that to change; but even if I suddenly decided that they stink like rotten garbage, I'd still believe that they should continue doing what they do for as long as they want to do it, no matter what anyone, including me, thinks of the results.

KSantaFe 09-10-2016 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1206319)
It could be that. I kinda hope it is, because that would prove that I'm young at heart, at least! LOL

Unless by "younger generation of fans" you weren't referring to actual age, but to "Jovi-age" (i.e., when you started following the band). In that case, I'd fall into that category anyway, since I didn't get into BJ until around 2005.

Even though I came late to the party, I quickly backed up and listened to every song, show, and interview I could get my hands on; and I think the band was at their peak and most consistently gave us their best music and energy, both in albums and live shows (tyvm, YouTube!), from their beginning up through NJ.

Absolutely - I suppose age isn't really the driving factor, but as you say, this "Jovi-age". I was first given Cross Road by my mother, and as an 8 or 9 yr old, I primarily listened to Queen, The Scorpions, REM etc.. Jovi were a different beast in my view - they had something that I was looking for at that point. I then bought Bounce - because I saw the video for Everyday and absolutely looooved it, and thought the 30sec preview of Undivided on iTunes was amazing. I think I listened to that preview 50 times or something! Once TC came out I bought that and started to collect all their back-catalogue - which I remember being a particularly exciting time. I was lucky enough to then see the band in 2010, and I've been hooked ever since.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1206319)
Not every song or album is on my list of all-time favorites, but I made a BJ Chronology playlist with everything from the debut album forward, including solo work, and I can honestly say that I never feel a need to skip over any song.

I'd get pretty close with The More Things Change lol
Though I agree with you there

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashed (Post 1206276)
I don't know - I've been a fan since the "Blaze" album and my first show was on the These Days tour, and I still enjoy most band albums to a degree - more importantly there's always still two or three songs in each album that I love.

I'm not saying that only young fans are remaining optimistic. I'm merely suggesting that the later generations of fans (or late adopters of the music) are less likely to write the band off, compared with the fans who experienced Jon and the band in their prime. This is based only on anecdotal evidence from my experiences as a fan. Of all the young fans I mix with in person, only one disliked TC and BB - though most agreed WAN could have been better ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashed (Post 1206276)
This House Is Not For Sale and Knockout (which I haven't listened to yet) are more like the singles for public consumption - the real gems like almost all the treasures in Bon Jovi's catalogue, will be for the fans.

I think that's an important point. Thinking back to 2009; for me WWBTF and Superman do not accurately represent all tracks on TC. I was 11 when WWBTF came out and I remember watching the video thinking - yeah this is pretty cool. Then upon listening to TC I was blown away by Bullet, Brokenpromiseland, WFTWM (yeah I know, unpopular opinion).

rokuli 09-10-2016 07:55 AM

They should do the huge (cash-grab) reunion tour with all the original five members ONLY. In 2023. And Then retire.

evertsfnic 09-10-2016 05:16 PM

this is bon jovi

Make me Bon Jovi Fan again this song.

"Knockout"

Kathleen 09-10-2016 08:57 PM

I think that if Jon can't switch gears and stop trying to reproduce It's My Life, he should hang it up. People that know me, know that I'm a huge fan. But if even I am tired of, and disgusted with, the same sounding stuff year after year many other people will be also.

Having just seen 5 Springsteen shows at approx. 4 hours each, I am spoiled. Bruce seldom repeats himself and he outdid himself on these shows. THAT is how it's done. This newest Jovi single is a real disappointment. I can't say that I hate it - but once again it's the same old same old.

rolo_tomachi 09-10-2016 09:09 PM

They must continue. John Shanks not.

nikos greece 09-10-2016 10:44 PM

of course they must, as long as they are passionate about making music..
the producer/direction topic should be revisited after the album premiere
ps.richie should be back:cool:

ps2.i think as forum we have some power, if we agreed in certain topics by voting like hammersmith dvd released for example and posted it repeatedly there would be more chances we d reach jon, especially in ocassions like the fb questions, i know jon likes to answer certain topics but if sth keeps coming up its only a matter of time

ps3. i think jons comment about these days and hand may be portraying the anger in the themes/delivery but i also find it possible jon receives feedback and those close to him have told him about the way certain albums have been received by diehards etc, so perhaps its a way for jon to say i believe u ll like the darker side or sth

angelsambo 09-11-2016 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos greece (Post 1206420)
there would be more chances we d reach jon

you can't reach him anymore,he has lost his mind since 2000

nikos greece 09-11-2016 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1206425)
you can't reach him anymore,he has lost his mind since 2000

lol in his defence he probably had enough of our craziness years ago...lol
new jersey outakes are a proof there is some will to go back to the vault, its a shame it didnt have some success, still hope for a boxset full of dvds, one from each era or tour with highlights,
after all these shows etc we should have a better live dvd collection available

Javier 09-11-2016 02:28 AM

They should keep going until Tico has had enough and retires....

JackieBlue 09-11-2016 04:13 AM

Quote:

...i think jons comment about these days and hand may be portraying the anger in the themes/delivery but i also find it possible jon receives feedback and those close to him have told him about the way certain albums have been received by diehards etc, so perhaps its a way for jon to say i believe u ll like the darker side or sth

Confession time: I'm so social media-challenged that I don't have a clue how these things work on FB, so I didn't realize Jon was going to be answering the questions verbally. (Yeah, I know... It's sad.) I thought he was posting replies to the comments; so I scrolled thru the posts to read the questions, looking for replies from Jon. (Stop laughing!)

Almost lost in the avalanche of posts that never got around to actually asking anything because they were too busy using the Q&A as an opportunity to gush or to request that Jon say "hi" to someone, there were a few decent questions and even a couple of brave souls who either took Rosa3 seriously (or thought of it on their own) and asked Jon about his voice or asked if the rest of the album was going to be like THINFS and Knockout and why there wasn't more promotion for Knockout.

Among those rare questions there was one (from one of the rarer guys, I believe) who asked if the band was ever going to rock again or write songs like the ones on HAND or TD. It was politely phrased, iirc, but it was still clear that the poster wasn't impressed with the direction the band had been taking recently. Since that was the only question I remember that directly mentioned the music, other than THINFS and Knockout, and the guy cited those two albums, specifically, as examples of the kind of music he'd like to see the band do again, I wonder if Jon may have picked up on that question and that's why he referred to those two albums, specifically, in his response.

I never did see Jon's verbal response, so I'm just going by what I've seen posted here. For all I know, it could even have been that guy's question he was responding to. But seeing the posts here about why he may have chosen to compare the new album to those specific albums, and then recalling how that question had stood out to me as I was scrolling, it made me wonder if Jon had made the same connection.

Just a thought...

Denmad 09-11-2016 10:13 AM

Quote:

ps2.i think as forum we have some power, if we agreed in certain topics by voting like hammersmith dvd released for example and posted it repeatedly there would be more chances we d reach jon, especially in ocassions like the fb questions, i know jon likes to answer certain topics but if sth keeps coming up its only a matter of time

I stand by this!

Fans should remind him how great they were and point out some of the highlights that should see the light of the day a long time ago.

Next month the bonus DVD comes out in Japan. The content will be probably music video for "THINFS", the making of the video, another interview or already released stuff... This is just painful. It's like having a liquor cabinet full of alcohol, and offer your guests nothing, or at most the worst wine that you have...

I'm afraid that one day Sactuary II will burned up and everything will goes to hell...

ticos_stick 09-11-2016 02:13 PM

I think Jon should have retired the band the moment he realised he couldn't move around the stage half as much as he used to. The awful decline in vocals and Richie's departure also lead me to think this tour will be a disaster. So bar some miracle, it'd be a no from me.

Rdkopper 09-11-2016 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1206458)
I think Jon should have retired the band the moment he realised he couldn't move around the stage half as much as he used to. The awful decline in vocals and Richie's departure also lead me to think this tour will be a disaster. So bar some miracle, it'd be a no from me.

I could kinda agree with this... Bon Jovi the band should retire but the Jon Bon Jovi & The E-Street Band (with Tico and Dave) should keep going. But then Richie wins so....

Jeeper 09-11-2016 05:11 PM

I think they should continue recording albums. The quality of studio recordings is subjective. We all have different tastes.

Live is another matter. Jon simply can't sing a large number of his own songs anymore. I think as a live band, performing songs as on the albums, they should retire. Or drastically change their approach. JBJ is his own Achilles heel, I'm afraid.

Walleris 09-11-2016 05:43 PM

I'm someone who believes they should've called it quits after the WAN era debacle. Jon not being able to sing is one thing. Richie not being there is another. But both? That's too much for me to ever spend money to travel to another country to see them live.

I'm surprised to see such overwhelming lead for the "Yes" option. I guess I'm getting old...

It's my faith 09-11-2016 10:13 PM

It's all about how they feel like...

If they still have the need to create and record and perform songs, then they should do it. If they want to change their style and play trance/blues/bluegrass/metal let them do it. And what happens if they don't sell copies or fill stadiums anymore? Well, if they are ok with this they will find a way to continue. If they want to retire, let them be. Only they and their contracts are the ones to decide.

I hope that they continue to be present and run this cycle Album->Promotion->Tour->Relax for many times again. I'm interested to listen to what they will grow into as the time passes. Every album+tour is a different era for me, a different perspective of how they feel musically.

Thierry 09-11-2016 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1206470)
I'm surprised to see such overwhelming lead for the "Yes" option. I guess I'm getting old...

Me too. Too bad that it seems to sink in with a lot of people that the latest releases, Jons voice and the departure of Richie is a big problem.

bjcrazycpa 09-11-2016 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1206470)
I'm someone who believes they should've called it quits after the WAN era debacle. Jon not being able to sing is one thing. Richie not being there is another. But both? That's too much for me to ever spend money to travel to another country to see them live.

Old at 22...that's a good one!!

steel_horse75 09-11-2016 11:13 PM

If they were gonna split it would've been after WAN but I don't see them calling it a day until they do a farewell greatest hits tour.....with Richie back in the fold.

DryCounty 09-11-2016 11:19 PM

I love Bon Jovi, it's such a vital part of my life that I can't imagine life without them as an active band. In my book BJ has never made a bad record, even though their 80s and 90s material are pretty superior. I think TC, WAN, BB etc. are fantastic records compared to what other artists and bands are releasing these days. Maybe it's because I'm a big fan of modern arena pop/rock and that's pretty much what BJ are giving us.

My biggest concern is the live shows. I can't see Jon getting better and listening to those 2015 shows is painful. He's barely a shadow of the showman he used to be and somwhow his voice died a painful death along the Because We Can Tour. There are many great singers who has gone down a similar path. Paul Stanley in Kiss comes to mind, but the difference there is that he still puts on a hell of a show. I could get through the fact that Jons voice is gone if he still put on a great energetic performance. Now he spends mostly time behind the acoustic guitar and when he's not he is trapped behind the white mic stand.

I likes to remember the LH Tour and The Circle/Greatest Hits Tour. Man they sounded great back then and it really wasn't that long ago. If the upcoming tour is a disaster much like the 2015 shows, I guess it's time to pull the plug. Sad but true.

liljovi93 09-13-2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

You're trying to figure out why they shouldn't yet you clicked 'no'??

I'm unsure anyway too, though. It's hard to judge when we haven't heard the album or anything live yet. If both don't live up to the standards they should, then they should call it a day.

Manbou 09-13-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1206615)
You're trying to figure out why they shouldn't yet you clicked 'no'??

I'm unsure anyway too, though. It's hard to judge when we haven't heard the album or anything live yet. If both don't live up to the standards they should, then they should call it a day.

Maybe he's misread the question as: "Should Bon Jovi quit after THINFS?"

Happened to me too when I first saw the thread.

DestinationJovi 09-14-2016 12:05 PM

It doesn't matter whether we think they should or shouldn't.

Do you really think the label re-signed Jon with a one album contract? Come on.

BD135 09-18-2016 02:15 AM

Jon has said himself that he will quit the business if he releases an album that doesn't chart. I'm sure this one will chart well in the first week.