Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Ryan Adams (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=53531)

ticos_stick 09-26-2011 08:29 PM

Ryan Adams

Any other fans except me and Ferret?

Anyway, his new excellent album is available to listen to - http://www.npr.org/2011/09/25/140640...re?sc=fb&cc=fp

The man is a genius, download his catalogue and become a huge fan.

Nige 09-26-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1074748)

Anyway, his new excellent album is available to listen to - http://www.npr.org/2011/09/25/140640...re?sc=fb&cc=fp

Another huge Ryan fan here....been very impatiently waiting for his album to "leak" and having now heard it I do think it might be his best album yet! Amazing singer/songwriter/guitarist

ticos_stick 09-27-2011 12:23 AM

It's a very low key album but contains so much beauty.

I can feel it growing on me more and more with every listen.

SexxAtraxxion 09-27-2011 12:45 AM

Great musician.

Summer of 69 and Heaven are classics.

faith1985 09-27-2011 12:48 AM

Big fan here :-) He writes great, touching lyrics and can rock as well. I've only listened to a few songs of the new album yet, but I think I will like it.

Right now I am totally digging Darkness, Elizabeth, you were born to play that part, I taught myself how to grow old and Blue Skye Blues.

Emil 09-27-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1074748)

I'm a huge fan as well. This album sounds GREAT at a first listen. Thanks for letting us know!

samboraisgodUK 09-27-2011 04:52 PM

I love him too. He seems to have a new album out nearly every year without skimping on quality.

EDIT: Just listened to the new album - FANTASTIC. Get it done.

Ferret 09-27-2011 06:49 PM

"once there was a silence and it washed through the town
there was no reason to speak so nobody made a sound
her eyes were indigo, the cat's was all calico
the sailboat's sail sailed by, in the river she cried"

this new album is beautiful. he's simply a really great artist. Cold Roses and (the unreleased) 48 Hours are my favourite records of his.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion (Post 1074773)
Great musician.

Summer of 69 and Heaven are classics.

OH WOW you're so funny!

Joke's on you, the guy who actually likes Bryan Adams. :lol::lol::lol:

Ferret 09-27-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1074802)
I love him too. He seems to have a new album out nearly every year without skimping on quality.

Let's not forget 2005 when he put out 3 albums that were all (in my opinion) great, and one of which was a double. Plus bonus material and an unreleased record of sorts.

not 2005, but

ticos_stick 09-27-2011 07:23 PM

He totally dictates my music listening now. I'll open up my music browser or MP3 player and no matter what mood I'm in they'll be a Ryan Adam's album to suit it.

My absolute fave track -

faith1985 09-27-2011 07:49 PM

Seriously, how can you not like this music?

I prefer his acoustic and piano-driven songs and everytime I listen to his songs I discover a new beautiful part I haven't recognised before

There is no way I could pick just one album...my least favorite is probably Rock N Roll but it is just because I don't really listen to it that much. I really have to be in the mood for it.

ticos_stick 09-27-2011 07:54 PM

Demolition and Love Is Hell PT1 are flawless masterpieces.

Gold is a bit too over produced and Rock & Roll sounds a bit too like Oasis. Still great albums mind.

bounce442 09-27-2011 08:47 PM

Must be some kind of connection between Bj and RA... maybe it's just good music.

Since Rock N Roll, he hasn't been spot on... maybe because he has released so much. However, I thought III/IV was brilliant. Is this anyone else's favorite since Rock N' Roll or even Gold?

The little I've heard from the new album sounds solid. I especially thought "I Love you but I don't know what to say" was extraordinarily good.

bounce442 09-27-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1074821)
Demolition and Love Is Hell PT1 are flawless masterpieces.

Gold is a bit too over produced and Rock & Roll sounds a bit too like Oasis. Still great albums mind.

Gold is overproduced... but the songs are sooo good. Everything is so fn tight. R&R might sound a little like Oasis but it also sounds like the Stones, U2, Tom Petty, STP, the Cure and I think that is point of that album.

faith1985 09-27-2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bounce442 (Post 1074825)
Must be some kind of connection between Bj and RA... maybe it's just good music.

I think that is the case :-)

Quote:

The little I've heard from the new album sounds solid. I especially thought "I Love you but I don't know what to say" was extraordinarily good.
This song together with 'Come Home' is my favorite right now!

faith1985 09-27-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1074815)
He totally dictates my music listening now. I'll open up my music browser or MP3 player and no matter what mood I'm in they'll be a Ryan Adam's album to suit it.

My absolute fave track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGPzy...eature=related

Do you know this version?

I think I prefer it to the original version.

bounce442 09-27-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faith1985 (Post 1074833)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihRqtqK3R3M

Damn that's good... I prefer this version for sure.

Ferret 09-27-2011 10:04 PM

In regards to his worst shit, "Cardinology" is pretty bland and although "Demolition" is awesome (Starting To Hurt, Hallelujah, Dear fuckin' Chicago, Tomorrow) his record should just have MAN'd THE **** UP and put out all 500 million albums he recorded in 2001/02.

I have a soft spot for "Easy Tiger" despite it being seen as a bit overproduced amongst the hardcore. It gets a bit adult contemporary towards the middle but all the first 4 tracks, Tears Of Gold, Pearls On A String and I Taught Myself To Grow Old are some pantheon jams. Plus he delivers the goods with the bonus track - Nobody Listens To Silence is some weird psuedo-reggae bullshit with the immortal line "and he fucked her like a fucking machine". Fun fact - there's a demo of that song on one of his DJ Reggie (hip-hop) releases and, um, it sounds like Neil Young.

Should've been credited to Ryan Adams & the Cardinals though. Those guys helped shape the sound a lot even if they got pretty boring by 2008. I watched the September mini-docu the other day and it's a great picture of the Cardinals recording Jacksonville City Nights (his classic country record) with Ryan looking like the bleary beardy fucked up drug addict that he was at the time. There's some live footage in it, a staggering, monumental jam of What Sin Replaces Love where he's soloing away and I'd swear that it was Jerry Garcia. The guy is a total chameleon. He's pretty rad as a clean cut pop-folkie too. I could talk about his work all day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bounce442 (Post 1074825)
Since Rock N Roll, he hasn't been spot on... maybe because he has released so much. However, I thought III/IV was brilliant. Is this anyone else's favorite since Rock N' Roll or even Gold?

Absolutely not! "Cold Roses" is his best album. Magnolia Mountain, title track, If I Am A Stranger, Let It Ride, Dance All Night, Sweet Illusions, How Do You Keep Love Alive, Easy Plateau and Mockingbird are basically his best shit. 2005 is his artistic peak. I've downloaded some 2006 gigs as well and they were absolutely mindblowing in and endless droning rock jamz sorta way.

faith1985 09-27-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferret (Post 1074835)
In regards to his worst shit, "Cardinology" is pretty bland and although "Demolition" is awesome (Starting To Hurt, Hallelujah, Dear fuckin' Chicago, Tomorrow) his record should just have MAN'd THE **** UP and put out all 500 million albums he recorded in 2001/02.

I have a soft spot for "Easy Tiger" despite it being seen as a bit overproduced amongst the hardcore. It gets a bit adult contemporary towards the middle but all the first 4 tracks, Tears Of Gold, Pearls On A String and I Taught Myself To Grow Old are some pantheon jams. Plus he delivers the goods with the bonus track - Nobody Listens To Silence is some weird psuedo-reggae bullshit with the immortal line "and he fucked her like a fucking machine". Fun fact - there's a demo of that song on one of his DJ Reggie (hip-hop) releases and, um, it sounds like Neil Young.

Should've been credited to Ryan Adams & the Cardinals though. Those guys helped shape the sound a lot even if they got pretty boring by 2008. I watched the September mini-docu the other day and it's a great picture of the Cardinals recording Jacksonville City Nights (his classic country record) with Ryan looking like the bleary beardy fucked up drug addict that he was at the time. There's some live footage in it, a staggering, monumental jam of What Sin Replaces Love where he's soloing away and I'd swear that it was Jerry Garcia. The guy is a total chameleon. He's pretty rad as a clean cut pop-folkie too. I could talk about his work all day.

Absolutely not! "Cold Roses" is his best album. Magnolia Mountain, title track, If I Am A Stranger, Let It Ride, Dance All Night, Sweet Illusions, How Do You Keep Love Alive, Easy Plateau and Mockingbird are basically his best shit. 2005 is his artistic peak. I've downloaded some 2006 gigs as well and they were absolutely mindblowing in and endless droning rock jamz sorta way.

I don't really like Easy Tiger but I Taught Myself.... is a masterpiece.

My favorite songs from Cold Roses are Cherry Lane and How do You Keep Love Alive and maybe Tonight. I don't think that the album is better than Love Is Hell. I'm totally in love with Hotel Chelsea Nights. His voice and the guitar on that track are awesome.

bounce442 09-27-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

While I don't agree that Cold Roses his is best album, I will agree that it is the best out of the three and a fantastic album... will that work? :) I do enjoy all the songs you mentioned but my personal favorite off that album and RA of time is Meadowlake Street. I also really enjoyed Blossom. I saw him in 08 or maybe early 09... pretty fantastic show. I really didn't appreciate Let it Ride until seeing it live.

I did love CR but it was the other two albums I didn't get into... with the exception The End and Strawberry Wine. I do certainly appreciate the different styles, just not my cup of tea.

ticos_stick 09-27-2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faith1985 (Post 1074833)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihRqtqK3R3M

Yeah love it, much like this version with Neal Casel -

It seems everyone has their different angles on Ryan Adams. Let It Ride is my favourite track but Cold Roses leaves me, well cold. It just sounds too samey and a bit bland on the whole.

Demolition has all shades of Ryan in one album. While Love Is Hell PT1 is just wall to wall perfection. I honestly can't think of a more perfect album / EP.

It's all good though and I've listened to each release 100 times over or more.

I love Orion too :) -

Ferret 09-27-2011 11:30 PM

IMMINENT GALACTIC WAAAAAAARRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is cool. It's the guy who co-wrote To Be Young, David Rawlings (performing with his musical partner Gillian Welch...as you can see, big alt-country legends) playing it in a bluegrass style. His album is pretty gorgeous. These two are all over "Heartbreaker" and "Destroyer" (an unreleased 1999 solo album by Ryan I see as a sorta companion piece to the former).

y'all need to seek out the 2009 single Disco Queen b/w Tomorrowland. or is it the other way round? ****ed if I know. it's awesome either way. just some banging big-chorused alt-rock, kinda like Rock N Roll but actually good and kinda underproduced. Disco Queen is probably one of my favourite songs ever. His vocals on it are agonising to listen to. In a good way? Here it is; http://cottoncandyrottenmouth.tumblr...ms-disco-queen

As we all know, Ryan Adams has made lots of good music.

ticos_stick 09-27-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

I watched the September mini-docu the other day and it's a great picture of the Cardinals recording Jacksonville City Nights (his classic country record) with Ryan looking like the bleary beardy fucked up drug addict that he was at the time. There's some live footage in it, a staggering, monumental jam of What Sin Replaces Love where he's soloing away and I'd swear that it was Jerry Garcia. The guy is a total chameleon. He's pretty rad as a clean cut pop-folkie too. I could talk about his work all day.

Where did you acquire this strange brew, young blood?

Ferret 09-27-2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1074843)
Where did you acquire this strange brew, young blood?

via the medium of torrenting. might as well post the link, sincerely doubt any mods will read the Ryan Adams thread.

http://bitsnoop.com/ryan-adams-septe...q21013410.html

HEY MODS!

I'll PM you it as well just in case. It's pretty kickass.

faith1985 09-28-2011 07:00 PM

Any new thoughts concerning the album? I think Do I Wait, I Love You But I Don't Know What to Say, Ashes & Fire, Dirty Rain and especially Come Home are outstanding with the latter being very touching. The title-track took a few listenings but it is finally growing on me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferret (Post 1074844)
via the medium of torrenting. might as well post the link, sincerely doubt any mods will read the Ryan Adams thread.

http://bitsnoop.com/ryan-adams-septe...q21013410.html

HEY MODS!

I'll PM you it as well just in case. It's pretty kickass.

The torrent is not working :( Do you have another source?

Nige 09-28-2011 08:01 PM

Loving Lucky Now, Dirty Rain, I Love And Don't Know What To Say and Invisible Riverside!

ticos_stick 09-28-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faith1985 (Post 1074867)
Any new thoughts concerning the album? I think Do I Wait, I Love You But I Don't Know What to Say, Ashes & Fire, Dirty Rain and especially Come Home are outstanding with the latter being very touching. The title-track took a few listenings but it is finally growing on me.

The torrent is not working :( Do you have another source?

It is working, the link is just very obscure - http://torrage.com/torrent/41680A21B...112CFF.torrent

I'm still letting the album soak in, but it's getting better and better for sure.

faith1985 09-28-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1074876)
It is working, the link is just very obscure - http://torrage.com/torrent/41680A21B...112CFF.torrent

I'm still letting the album soak in, but it's getting better and better for sure.

My program says it is not working. I will try to find another torrent of this, but thanks!

Emil 09-29-2011 06:56 AM

Excuse me for going off topic here, but has anybody heard Israel Nash Gripka's great album Barn Doors & Concrete Floors? He totally reminds me of Ryan Adams sometimes – like in Goodbye Ghost:
You should check him out.

Ferret 09-29-2011 09:49 PM

mirrors in the room go black and blue
on a sunday morning in saturday shoes

ticos_stick 09-29-2011 11:38 PM

"Do I wait" is one his of his best tracks ever.

So haunting.

faith1985 10-15-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1074935)
"Do I wait" is one his of his best tracks ever.

So haunting.

I think I'm starting to agree with you ;)

Can't get it out of my head for days now.

Emil 10-15-2011 09:16 PM

Saw him this Tuesday in San Diego. Honestly one of the best music experiences of my life. Never ever seen such an immensely talented artist and musician before. What a ****ing genius.

faith1985 10-15-2011 09:39 PM

Lucky you ;-)
Which songs did he play?

I'm still waiting for German tour dates (or at least one).

I saw him and The Cardinals in 2006 and thought they picked the wrong songs.

Emil 10-16-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faith1985 (Post 1075507)
Lucky you ;-)
Which songs did he play?

Set:

Oh My Sweet Carolina
Ashes & Fire
If I Am A Stranger
Dirty Rain
Everybody Knows
Invisible Riverside
The Rescue Blues
My Winding Wheel
Why Do They Leave?
Lucky Now
Please, Do Not Let Me Go
Firecracker
New York, New York (piano version)
Let It Ride
Blue Hotel
Carolina Rain
Two
Two (improvised metal version)
I See Monsters
Jacksonville Skyline
Houses On The Hill
This House Is Not For Sale
Come Pick Me Up

He plays a lot of old stuff right now, which is great. Jason Isbell was the opening act, and he was terrific, too.

faith1985 10-16-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emil (Post 1075559)
Set:

Oh My Sweet Carolina
Ashes & Fire
If I Am A Stranger
Dirty Rain
Everybody Knows
Invisible Riverside
The Rescue Blues
My Winding Wheel
Why Do They Leave?
Lucky Now
Please, Do Not Let Me Go
Firecracker
New York, New York (piano version)
Let It Ride
Blue Hotel
Carolina Rain
Two
Two (improvised metal version)
I See Monsters
Jacksonville Skyline
Houses On The Hill
This House Is Not For Sale
Come Pick Me Up

He plays a lot of old stuff right now, which is great. Jason Isbell was the opening act, and he was terrific, too.

That is very cool, thanks:-) I hope he'll be doing some shows here.

bounce442 10-18-2011 07:47 PM

Jacksonville Skyline! Are you kidding me? I don't follow his sets closely, but I am pretty sure this would comparable to my excitement if I heard BJ play As My Guitar Lies Bleeding... I hope he keeps playing this for when he comes to my neck of the woods again.

On a different note, Ashes and Fire hasn't left my cd player... or mp3 player for that matter. It might be too early to call, but I haven't loved an album like this much early on, in a long time.

Does anyone else hear a Garth Brooks influence?

Captain_jovi 10-18-2011 08:35 PM

http://www.avclub.com/articles/ryan-adams,63532/

I read this phenomenal interview with him. So much of what he says applies to this board sometime. I don't know any of his songs but I'm officially ready and willing to check him out based on this interview and this thread.

faith1985 10-18-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1075673)
http://www.avclub.com/articles/ryan-adams,63532/

I read this phenomenal interview with him. So much of what he says applies to this board sometime. I don't know any of his songs but I'm officially ready and willing to check him out based on this interview and this thread.

Thank you so very much for posting this!
So, we'll hear a lot more from him in te next few years

Quote:

Originally Posted by bounce442 (Post 1075668)
Jacksonville Skyline! Are you kidding me? I don't follow his sets closely, but I am pretty sure this would comparable to my excitement if I heard BJ play As My Guitar Lies Bleeding... I hope he keeps playing this for when he comes to my neck of the woods again.

On a different note, Ashes and Fire hasn't left my cd player... or mp3 player for that matter. It might be too early to call, but I haven't loved an album like this much early on, in a long time.

Does anyone else hear a Garth Brooks influence?

Me too!

Also, for those of you who use facebook, you should totally "like" him. He is posting great stuff there.

bounce442 10-18-2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faith1985 (Post 1075678)
Thank you so very much for posting this!

Also, for those of you who use facebook, you should totally "like" him. He is posting great stuff there.

He does indeed! ... I had long forgotten about the LA's until he posted a video of "feelin". There is always good commentary and often good music.