Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Let's rate: THINFS, the abum (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69729)

rolo_tomachi 10-27-2016 09:50 PM

THINFS Album is a 5 for me. WAN was 3 or 4. The Circle was 6 or 6,5.

Demonbred 10-28-2016 04:13 AM

Gave it a 9. A couple more hard rockers and it wouldve been a 10. Excellent album third best behind Slippery and Jersey for me. A great collection of songs and the first Jovi album I wont skip a song. An album any band or artist would dream of especially at stage of Bon Jovi's career.

Faves:

- Devils In The Temple
- We Don't Run
- Living With The Ghost
- Scars On This Guitar
- Born Again Tomorrow
- Knockout
- God Bless This Mess
- All Hail The King
- I Will Drive You Home
- Real Love

Walleris 10-28-2016 11:25 AM

So far (after 42 votes), 88% of respondents rated it in the 8-10 range. Shockingly lots of 10s!

While the lasting power and legacy of this album remains to be seen, the positive initial feedback is really refreshing.

For those that were around in 2009, was The Circle loved as much initially? What about HAND? I'd assume Crush and Lost Highway were probably disliked due to being huge departures for the band at the time.

Jeeper 10-28-2016 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1212050)
So far (after 42 votes), 88% of respondents rated it in the 8-10 range. Shockingly lots of 10s!

While the lasting power and legacy of this album remains to be seen, the positive initial feedback is really refreshing.

For those that were around in 2009, was The Circle loved as much initially? What about HAND? I'd assume Crush and Lost Highway were probably disliked due to being huge departures for the band at the time.

I joined in 2007 so not sure about HAND. From my recollection The Circle was quite positive. Some people had an issue with Work For The Working Man. Obviously there were certain people who didn't like it but in general I think it was received quite well.

Demonbred 10-28-2016 12:30 PM

Still love The Circle I think its a very strong album. Its my 5th favourite Jovi album behind Slippery, Jersey, THINFS and HAND

Jeeper 10-28-2016 12:48 PM

Probably been done lots before, but it'd be interesting to compile a 12 track album of post 2000 songs and see if that album could compete with the (for me) big 4 of NJ,TD, KTF, SWW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

soundfire624 10-28-2016 12:55 PM

BIG 9 !
I don't need to wait for The touch Of Grey tp come out..
I enjoy everysong..the lyrics are great..The music is so nowadays..
Plus they gonna give us loads of video so...Great job !!

TheOriginalJez 10-28-2016 01:14 PM

I voted 7... after 2 days of listening I want to vote higher but I can't. It's a much stronger album, overall, than anything since These Days. There's only one thing missing from Devil's in the Temple to make it at least equal anything on These Days. And that's my problem...

See, Knockout, Born Again Tomorrow - they're two low points but they're at least partly saved by Phil. Much in the way Richie sort of saved Because We Can. I just wonder if Phil was allowed in Temple, Scars and Mess... I'm not bemoaning Richie's absence as such, but previous Jovi almost every song allowed for a Richie interlude whether the song called for it or not, on THINFS we seem to be avoiding that at all costs. Except on the weaker songs. Temple + a very short Phil solo = pure gold. It's no turd as it is, I ****ing love it but it just took a short stroke to perfect it and that's missing.

This album deserves 10 but poor choices give it a fair 7 I guess. Still, 5 points better than WAN...

semigoodlookin 10-28-2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOriginalJez (Post 1212070)
I voted 7... after 2 days of listening I want to vote higher but I can't. It's a much stronger album, overall, than anything since These Days. There's only one thing missing from Devil's in the Temple to make it at least equal anything on These Days. And that's my problem...

See, Knockout, Born Again Tomorrow - they're two low points but they're at least partly saved by Phil. Much in the way Richie sort of saved Because We Can. I just wonder if Phil was allowed in Temple, Scars and Mess... I'm not bemoaning Richie's absence as such, but previous Jovi almost every song allowed for a Richie interlude whether the song called for it or not, on THINFS we seem to be avoiding that at all costs. Except on the weaker songs. Temple + a very short Phil solo = pure gold. It's no turd as it is, I ****ing love it but it just took a short stroke to perfect it and that's missing.

This album deserves 10 but poor choices give it a fair 7 I guess. Still, 5 points better than WAN...

It's a good point. However, I actually think it is almost commendable that this is not a "guitar" album per se. Jon could have stuck it to Richie by using Phil X (a guitarist with considerable chops) to put out some serious guitar work all over the record.

He didn't, which at least shows that the general direction of the music in recent years is what Jon believes in and not some scheme to push Richie to the side.

This album misses those odd bursts of guitar for me too, but I am not sure they would be there even if Richie was on board.

Jeeper 10-28-2016 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOriginalJez (Post 1212070)

I can live without a solo in Temple, it is similar in vein to Fear. (what a song that is!)

I just wish the aggressive vocals at the end had continued a few more bars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk