Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Jons Voice again........ (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=68753)

efiste2 10-14-2014 07:05 PM

Jons Voice again........

Has Jon himself ever talked publicly about how his voice has, shall we say "changed" to be polite, in interviews etc etc. :?:

bonjovi90 10-14-2014 07:29 PM

In some interview around the time of the release of WAN he stated to a reporter that his voice had "mellowed out" over the years and how he changed his attempt from making the best possible record to making an album that he'd be able to sing live.

Captain_jovi 10-14-2014 08:33 PM

What a bizarre statement considering WAN has more vocal touch ups than any other. To the point where he changed the vocal melody of I'm With You live to be able to sing it. What a head shaker.

Javier 10-14-2014 08:40 PM

He made some statements about the high notes being a bitch to sing and Thank god the audience sings the chorus of Prayer. I also remember him saying something to the effect that "the day I can hit the notes is a good day". I'm paraphrasing of course, I remember those statements and him laughing while wearing a stupid pretentious scarf over a turtleneck....

Lucas_Roli 10-14-2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1182611)
He made some statements about the high notes being a bitch to sing and Thank god the audience sings the chorus of Prayer. I also remember him saying something to the effect that "the day I can hit the notes is a good day". I'm paraphrasing of course, I remember those statements and him laughing while wearing a stupid pretentious scarf over a turtleneck....

This is the interview Javier is talking about, if anyone is interested.

Iceman 10-15-2014 11:13 AM

I remember one video (was it on one of the DVD's?) where they discussed the keys of the older songs and he said, "nothing above G for me now", or something to that effect.

Ice

Dave 1986 10-15-2014 02:11 PM

Back in 2009, Jon was being interviewed on BBC Radio 2 (whilst promoting The Circle) and the subject came up about why certain songs don't get played very often (if ever) and he flat out said it was simply because he can't hit the high notes anymore. And he laughed it off as he was saying it. I remember it because I couldn't believe how blatant he was. I'm all for honesty don't get me wrong, but as a fan, it's not good enough.

He seems to be addressing the (lack of) high notes, by what about the over-all shape of his voice in general? If I was the lead singer of a band like Bon Jovi, or Aerosmith, or Journey or whoever, and my vocals were that shot, I'd be quite concerned.

Captain_jovi 10-15-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1182624)
Back in 2009, Jon was being interviewed on BBC Radio 2 (whilst promoting The Circle) and the subject came up about why certain songs don't get played very often (if ever) and he flat out said it was simply because he can't hit the high notes anymore. And he laughed it off as he was saying it. I remember it because I couldn't believe how blatant he was. I'm all for honesty don't get me wrong, but as a fan, it's not good enough.

He seems to be addressing the (lack of) high notes, by what about the over-all shape of his voice in general? If I was the lead singer of a band like Bon Jovi, or Aerosmith, or Journey or whoever, and my vocals were that shot, I'd be quite concerned.

Well who says he's not? He's not giving interviews flat out saying "Yeah my voice is gone" but I'm sure he's realized the state of his voice by now hence the constant setlist.

Savvi 10-15-2014 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1182625)
Well who says he's not? He's not giving interviews flat out saying "Yeah my voice is gone" but I'm sure he's realized the state of his voice by now hence the constant setlist.

Exactly. And if he did attempt those songs, everyone would be bitching about his voice (even more so than they already are) and telling him to hang up the boots.

I feel for the guy. To have a talent stripped away from you would be hard, especially being the lead singer of such a well known band. It's not like he chose to lose his vocal abilities (albeit smoking doesn't help).

TheseDaysEra 10-15-2014 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1182609)
What a bizarre statement considering WAN has more vocal touch ups than any other. To the point where he changed the vocal melody of I'm With You live to be able to sing it. What a head shaker.

really ? don't think I've seen/heard that