Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   NBJ - Everything Else (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   United Kingdom General Election 2015 Thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69007)

Matrix15 04-22-2015 05:03 PM

United Kingdom General Election 2015 Thread

Don't know how many people care about politics but it's shaping up to be a total mess. Doesn't like there's going to be an outright winner (again!).

Whose planning to vote?

Thomas Anderson 04-23-2015 10:42 PM

I don't bother to watch the debates or even to read manifestos, because they're all full of crap - I just vote for the party which generally aligns most with my views, so it usually tends to be Lib Dems or I may even go Green this time.

What has really annoyed me the past couple of elections is the way that it's become so much about the personalities rather than the parties - we shouldn't be voting for a Prime Minister, but for a party!

mo_rizwan 04-24-2015 01:21 AM

I've never voted, and never will :)

Jim Bon Jovi 04-24-2015 06:02 PM

I got pretty burned out campaigning in the run up to the referendum so I've largely taken a back seat on this. Not that it makes much a difference anyway - this time I'll be voting Labour purely as a protest vote against the nationalists.

You should actually be basing your vote on your local candidates not the party or party leader but it seldom works like that.

Speaking of local candidates, the SNP one for my constituency had google remove photos of her visiting a memorial to the IRA hunger strikers so I'll be disgusted if she's elected, I actually can't wait for someone to come canvassing for them so I can give them it big style.

Bounce7800 04-24-2015 06:07 PM

Sadly our local area is the safest of safe Labour seats so its not gonna change anything. However, regardless of that everyone still should go out and vote. It takes a few minutes of your day and affects your whole life.

ticos_stick 04-26-2015 10:44 PM

I just hope those Tory dirtbags and the spineless Lib Dems get thrown out.

Out of the big parties Labour are the only option I'd go for and they are pretty awful too with that joker Ed Milliband at the helm.

It's all rather hopeless..

crashed 04-27-2015 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bon Jovi (Post 1187105)
I got pretty burned out campaigning in the run up to the referendum so I've largely taken a back seat on this. Not that it makes much a difference anyway

So this is where I get confused - you campaigned against something that could have made a difference to the whole political spectrum in the UK, whether you personally agreed or wanted the outcome or not, yet now are agreeing that what you campaigned for means absolutely nothing because what you do doesn't make a difference.

TwinFan 04-29-2015 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo_rizwan (Post 1187094)
I've never voted, and never will :)

Forgive me if I'm reading this wrong, and I'm honestly not trying to have a go at you, but is that something to be proud of? Everybody reserves their rights to do what they choose, but I've never heard of anybody who doesn't vote and is proud of it. Maybe that's something that differs in the culture over in the UK as opposed to the US.

The North Dakota election in 2014 was full of a bunch of bullshit pieces of legislature that I had no opinion one way or another on, but I still went out to vote on it so my voice was heard. I guess I'm in the camp that it's better to write in a candidate than not vote at all. At least your voice has been put out there that way.

Regardless of the nation, one should certainly not be able to complain about the elected officials if one did not vote.

Jayster 04-29-2015 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bon Jovi (Post 1187105)
I got pretty burned out campaigning in the run up to the referendum so I've largely taken a back seat on this. Not that it makes much a difference anyway - this time I'll be voting Labour purely as a protest vote against the nationalists.

You should actually be basing your vote on your local candidates not the party or party leader but it seldom works like that.

Speaking of local candidates, the SNP one for my constituency had google remove photos of her visiting a memorial to the IRA hunger strikers so I'll be disgusted if she's elected, I actually can't wait for someone to come canvassing for them so I can give them it big style.

I knew there had to be one Labour voter left in Scotland.

Jayster 04-29-2015 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinFan (Post 1187238)
Forgive me if I'm reading this wrong, and I'm honestly not trying to have a go at you, but is that something to be proud of? Everybody reserves their rights to do what they choose, but I've never heard of anybody who doesn't vote and is proud of it. Maybe that's something that differs in the culture over in the UK as opposed to the US.

The North Dakota election in 2014 was full of a bunch of bullshit pieces of legislature that I had no opinion one way or another on, but I still went out to vote on it so my voice was heard. I guess I'm in the camp that it's better to write in a candidate than not vote at all. At least your voice has been put out there that way.

Regardless of the nation, one should certainly not be able to complain about the elected officials if one did not vote.

Turn out at the 2012 US Election was 58.2% - there are millions of American's who don't vote and I'd say plenty are proud about it.

I agree that it's nothing to be proud of, though.

Australia is one of only a handful of countries where it's compulsory... but people get around it by not being registered to vote.

There are so many people completely politically impotent that are forced to vote or they are fined. I used to be in favour of compulsory voting, but not so sure now.