Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bad Name remakes (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=68975)

Becky 03-26-2015 10:54 PM

Bad Name remakes

I have to admit Bad Name is a better song than I have given it credit for being. I always loved the studio version, but I never really liked the live version much because I didn't think the live music lived up to the studio music. The guitar always seemed whiny and annoying to me live.

But after hearing Jax do a completely different version of it on Idol last night and Blake Lewis do a completely different version of it on Idol several years ago, I realized that it's a better song than I thought--only a good song can be reworked as drastically as these two did it and still sound good. Their versions might not be your cup of tea, but they were entertaining and certainly enjoyed by some people.

Jax:

Blake:

To be honest I actually LOVED the TLFR version of Bad Name when I saw it live at the Borgata too. I honestly have liked all the live remakes of Bad Name better than the standard live version. Night one as better than night 2 though. It was night 2 that made the DVD.

TLFR:

bonjovi90 03-27-2015 12:39 AM

I always loved the enthusiasm of singing along to the song when standing in an ocean of 70.000 people in Munich - I think the live version was good most of the time, I actually like some of them better than the studio recording.

But I agree with you on that TLFR version. I recently watched a few songs from that DVD and this Bad Name performance is just fantastic in my eyes (might also be due to the fact that 80% of the show stink though).

jesyjames 03-27-2015 06:01 AM

I completely concur that the live performances of Bad Name are typically very lackluster, go-through-the-motions renditions. And, the TLFR version of Bad Name is really the only song I purposely go back to listen to off that album...

That said, are there any great live versions of Bad Name out there? I've seen some that don't suck, but none that are really awesome(TLFR renditions aside).

bonjovi90 03-27-2015 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesyjames (Post 1186335)
That said, are there any great live versions of Bad Name out there? I've seen some that don't suck, but none that are really awesome(TLFR renditions aside).

This one immediately comes to my mind - wonderful raw vocals!

Javier 03-27-2015 06:21 AM

This one is one of my favorites. IMO as far as post 2000 renditions is the best....

IML88 03-27-2015 11:53 AM

The quality of this song means its difficult to make a bad cover of it. Its so melodic and well crafted.

Its the kind of song that lends itself to improvisation. It gets stifled when performed as if going through the motions.

nikos greece 03-27-2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IML88 (Post 1186338)
The quality of this song means its difficult to make a bad cover of it. Its so melodic and well crafted.

Its the kind of song that lends itself to improvisation. It gets stifled when performed as if going through the motions.

SO TRUE...when a song is well written most of the times it can be flexible and be covered in many ways..

Javier 03-27-2015 05:17 PM

:lol: :lol: I've always loved this one. In a funny sort of way....

Old Joysey 03-28-2015 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IML88 (Post 1186338)

I concur. :D