Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Did John Shanks ruin Bon Jovi? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69811)

Denmad 12-20-2016 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alice (Post 1216472)
I dont like to see Shanks to play guitars with the band, or to see him on band videos, we have Phil X.

Bon Jovi music is mostly composed and recorded by Shanks, not Phil. If you want to see the real thing, you need to watch both on stage.

Shanks is a band member longer than Alec John Such at this moment. He composed and played on Bon Jovi albums since HAND. Even his first live performance with the band was around that time. His position in the band keeps growin. I don't think he will withdraw after the first 2017 world tour as Bon Jovi. But you'll never know...

jazzsta 12-20-2016 11:57 PM

"Shanks has now more BJ membership duration than Alec".. Although semi accurate, since Shanks has not had a role as clear, it is a painful revelation, now that I think of it.

I agree that Shanks' presence & influence is as much a JBJ decision.

But yes. Probably a bad factor to the whole output, in my opinion.

This guy desperately wants to be The Edge.. Put this together with JBJs attempts to outlavigne Avril Lavigne, and you get a totally inexplosive mix of boring soulless compromise.

Alphavictim 12-20-2016 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonJovi100 (Post 1216471)
I tjhink that he made 3 albums which sound good in their own style:
HAND
LH
THINFSale

2 albums are too bit of different production and doesn't sound like a album. They sound like some different songs with differend production put in one cd.

With Shanks they relased some of my favourite BJ songs like Dirty Little Secret, Any Other Day, Nothing, Thick AT, BATommorow ecc so no. He not killed them.

Any Other Day was not produced by Shanks.

jazzsta 12-21-2016 12:02 AM

To that end, it is good that Richie's departure shook things up a bit, however we do need another production approach. Let Shanks be in the band and do his forgetable guitar work there, but at least put somebody else in the production room, bring some fresh ears there, allow another persons imagination to help shape the next new BJ sound!! :-)

Becky 12-21-2016 01:04 AM

For the question to apply, Bon Jovi would have to be ruined, which they are not. So, no.

They are better than they have been in years.

Captain_jovi 12-21-2016 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknation (Post 1216469)
Of course! Shanks saw the opportunity to replace Richie as long as he didn't outshine Jon, and he took it. Phil's status in the band speaks for itself. And I also agree about Jon's voice being gone.

How can people really think like this? You think he took his time to oust Richie because he saw the opportunity? Is Jon really that much the devil that this is your theory?

Eveline 12-21-2016 07:44 AM

I don't know what's the biggest factor contributing to the current situation of the band but the decline is steady, that's for sure. They are fairly good now but they used to be OUT OF THIS WORLD so I can't say if 'good' can still be seen as a compliment.

Bleeding Purist 12-21-2016 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1216481)
How can people really think like this? You think he took his time to oust Richie because he saw the opportunity? Is Jon really that much the devil that this is your theory?

There's never a shortage of creativity on this board when you look at the history. "Stink-eye" Jon has evolved to "Demonic" Jon, executing an insidious plan to destroy the light in Richie with John Shanks as his minion.

Walleris 12-21-2016 08:28 AM

Not at all.

He has a strong resume as a producer and does his job well (e.g. his albums for other artists sound great). His influence to Bon Jovi sound is what Jon wants it to be, but I guess for some fans who are frustrated with declining quality it's easier to put the blame on the 'outsider' than their beloved 'quarterback' of the band.

Bleeding Purist 12-21-2016 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1216485)
Not at all.

He has a strong resume as a producer and does his job well (e.g. his albums for other artists sound great). His influence to Bon Jovi sound is what Jon wants it to be, but I guess for some fans who are frustrated with declining quality it's easier to put the blame on the 'outsider' than their beloved 'quarterback' of the band.

Precisely. The leader calling the shots is the one to look at.