Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   NBJ - Everything Else (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Into the wild.... (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=68475)

DevilsSon 04-05-2014 08:28 PM

Into the wild....

...no no, this has nothing to do with the Eddie Vedder record or the movie it's from. Unless...

...I haven't been in much direct contact with people who are still regulars here, but some might still know. Last Monday I have quit my (rather cozy) job to do something else for the foreseeable future. I have no idea what that something else is...other than travelling from continent to continent, learning Spanish, improving my cooking skills, spending time on South-East Asian beaches, skiing down mountains I had never heard before and maybe starting a blog! Of all things.

Yes, I am a little scared as I'll be doing this on my own and I'll be pretty much burning all my savings....but I do hope it's going to be the best year of my life.

I always liked to travel and live in new places....but it's always been sort of sound and safe. Now this is taking a proper plunge. First destination is Singapore where I'll be staying with my best uni friend. From there I'll be exploring all of South East Asia piece by piece. Once I'm done I am heading over to India/ Nepal and will be hiking across the Himalayas all the way to the Eastern Coast. Nairobi in Kenya is the next destination. Here I will be doing some actual work helping out a few mobile start-ups get off the ground. I might come back to Europe after that or head out to California for a month before moving to either Santiago de Chile or Buenos Aires. And that should bring me to April 2015.

Right now, I'm still enjoying the last couple of days in London... and spending as much time as I can in Camden's awesome pubs...and I can't help but think that I will miss this place (where I spent a significant part of my semi-adult life). The gigs, the venues, the food and the people from all over this ****in' world make this city so super special. There were times where I hated it and times where I loved it to pieces, but hell, this is the greatest city in the world, and everyone should spend at least 6 full months of their lives here.

Having said that, am super excited for what the next few months will bring. And just before I'll have a lot less time to post here, I am wondering - has anyone else done something like this? Do you have tips or suggestions? And should you see me somewhere on the road - maybe offer me your couch? :D Cheers in advance!

Becky 04-05-2014 09:42 PM

Sounds like an amazing plan! I hope you have a great adventure and safety along the way. Good luck.

Jim Bon Jovi 04-06-2014 01:31 PM

Living the dream man.

My Middle Eastern jaunt wasn't quite as hardcore as I was out there working but what I will say in the way of advice:

As for advice - don't lure yourself into the sense that the local laws and customs don't apply to you and don't end up on Banged Up Abroad. Apart from that have a cracking time.

asok80 04-06-2014 03:40 PM

I'm sure you'll have a terrific time! Good look on your travels

VanJovi 04-08-2014 11:04 AM

What an amazing adventure Florin! Wishing you all the best and remember...be safe! :)

faith1985 04-08-2014 12:55 PM

Great to hear your trip is finally happening!!!
I am looking forward to seeing pictures on facebook (so that I can get even more jealous;)).
Enjoy!

Kathleen 04-08-2014 05:53 PM

Wow Florin - off you go. I get the "into the wild", this sounds like an incredible adventure. Have a blast - and if you can, keep us updated periodically so that we know you are still "out there" somewhere. :D

And of course, I hope you find what you are looking for.

rocknation 04-08-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1175364)
And just before I'll have a lot less time to post here, I am wondering - has anyone else done something like this? Do you have tips or suggestions?

If by "done something like this," you mean drop all your pretensions about living the life that's expected of you, yielding to your passions, and living the life you want to live, all I can say is, "No wonder you're a Bon Jovi fan -- that's exactly what Jon, Richie, Dave, and Tico did!"

The only logistical advice I can give is, DON'T TAKE YOURSELF OFFLINE -- keep a cell phone AND a tablet or laptop with you at all times. That's where you'll find all the information you'll need to keep yourself going, especially financially. And since this isn't a goodbye, I'll just add "Have fun, keep an open heart and mind, do us Bon Jovi fans proud, and don't forget to write -- I mean, text!"

ticos_stick 04-12-2014 12:03 AM

I thought this was a post about the film. :bang:

Travel truly broadens the mind and gives you experiences you'll always treasure (even the bad ones). I hope to do something on the scale you're doing it within the next few years.

Good luck. Make sure you don't end up in a van out in the wild eating poisonous berries. ;)

DevilsSon 07-31-2014 04:36 PM

Right - I somehow omitted all the replies in this thread, guess it was at some point when I was just figuring out how to leave my flat, cancel all my bills, take care of all my kids (just kiddin') or something like that. Anyhow - I've basically been 'on the road' for the last 3 months or so...and it's easily been the best time of my life. And when I'm not posting here, I started a little blog to keep me occupied - documenting whatever places I visit or whatever else is going on in my mind.

Not sure anyone actually cares, but it's got a suggestive title. It was either that or Destination Anywhere - but well, I chose the better album :D

http://www.StrangerTown.com