Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Alec John Such Rejioned Bon Jovi In 2001!! What's The Story (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=43976)

richshaw 01-16-2008 03:48 PM

Alec John Such Rejioned Bon Jovi In 2001!! What's The Story

hey, i totally missed this happening, but i was flickin through some jovi videos on you-tube, and i think it was a gig at giants stadim, circa 2001 (one wild night tour) and i saw alec on bass!!!
whats the story?
was it just the one gig?
i didnt think he was on good terms with jon?
he seemed to be enjoying himself, could anyone fill me in?
thanks, rich.

Tictoc 01-16-2008 03:59 PM

It was just the last few songs of that concert. If Alec came back I'd miss huge McDonald.

Iceman 01-16-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tictoc (Post 798127)
It was just the last few songs of that concert. If Alec came back I'd miss huge McDonald.

One song, Wanted.

Ice

schlochty 01-16-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

If Alec came back I'd miss huge McDonald.

I wouldnt.

Dawn 01-16-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

I wouldnt... Huge is a good musician but behaves like a cardboard cut out on stage not adding much to a stage performance..

Dawn

eddie73 01-16-2008 08:30 PM

BRING BACK ALEC, shit hot bass player and has some stage precense about him as well, those were the days.

superjovi 01-17-2008 02:48 PM

yeah stop bashing Alec. he was cooler than Hugh will ever be! (maybe not as good, but...)

Kev 01-17-2008 03:03 PM

What everyone seems to forget, is that Alec actually played TWO gigs arounnd this time...

Bon Jovi
July 24th, 2001
Tweeter Center, CAmden,NJ, USA (ampitheater)

Jon Bon Jovi - vocals, guitars
Richie Sambora - guitars, vocals
Dave Bryan - keyboards, vocals
Tico Torres - drums, percussion
Hugh McDonald - bass, vocals
Alec John Such - bass, vocals on Wanted Dead or Alive

Disc One
1.) One Wild Night
2.) Raise Your Hands
3.) You Give Love a Bad Name
4.) Born to Be My Baby
5.) Livin' on a Prayer
6.) Bed of Roses
7.) Stranger in this Town
8.) Keep the Faith
9.) It's My Life
10.) Just Older
11.) Drum solo
12.) Wild in the Streets

Disc Two
1.) Blaze of Glory
2.) Lay Your Hands on Me
3.) I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
4.) Bad Medicine
5.) Shout
6.) Someday I'll Be Saturday Night
7.) I'll Be There for You
8.) Wanted Dead or Alive with Alec John Such on bass guitar
9.) Tequila
10.) Twist & Shout

Tictoc 01-17-2008 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn (Post 798194)
I wouldnt... Huge is a good musician but behaves like a cardboard cut out on stage not adding much to a stage performance..

Dawn

Hugh never made mistakes that made the band look bad and I'm sure if he did he wouldn't bad mouth them in the press.

schlochty 01-17-2008 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tictoc (Post 798389)
Hugh never made mistakes that made the band look bad and I'm sure if he did he wouldn't bad mouth them in the press.

You are possibly right. But then Alec never stood in one and the same spot for the whole show looking like some bold robot (allthough being bold and not moving around and looking boring have nothing to do with each other)

Kathleen 01-17-2008 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev (Post 798372)
What everyone seems to forget, is that Alec actually played TWO gigs arounnd this time...

And I didn't even know about that until recently. I was at the Giants show that he played at but it never occurred to me to go to the Camden show (not the nicest place on the planet). And at that time in 2001 I wasn't reading Bon Jovi messageboards trying to get additional information. It wasn't until after the 2001 OLWN Giants shows that I found this board (and lurked for quite awhile) :D

634-5789 01-17-2008 08:48 PM

Alex was so cool! I loved to see him live! Berlin 93!!!!
I don't mind if he made some mistakes... I would take him back by now.
If you want, you can keep hugh too. The stage is full of useless people... (bobby etc...)

hackster73 01-17-2008 09:56 PM

Yeah I agree at least alec looked like a rock star. Hugh looks like your uncle or something.

jon-flp 01-18-2008 01:26 PM

haha....

I think that it was because jon thought that he was ugly. So, he kicked his ass!!!
just kidding....:eek:

Thierry 01-18-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev (Post 798372)

Bon Jovi
July 24th, 2001
Tweeter Center, CAmden,NJ, USA (ampitheater)

Jon Bon Jovi - vocals, guitars
Richie Sambora - guitars, vocals
Dave Bryan - keyboards, vocals
Tico Torres - drums, percussion
Hugh McDonald - bass, vocals
Alec John Such - bass, vocals on Wanted Dead or Alive

Disc One
1.) One Wild Night
2.) Raise Your Hands
3.) You Give Love a Bad Name
4.) Born to Be My Baby
5.) Livin' on a Prayer
6.) Bed of Roses
7.) Stranger in this Town
8.) Keep the Faith
9.) It's My Life
10.) Just Older
11.) Drum solo
12.) Wild in the Streets

Disc Two
1.) Blaze of Glory
2.) Lay Your Hands on Me
3.) I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
4.) Bad Medicine
5.) Shout
6.) Someday I'll Be Saturday Night
7.) I'll Be There for You
8.) Wanted Dead or Alive with Alec John Such on bass guitar
9.) Tequila
10.) Twist & Shout

This show has a great version of I'll Be There For You and Wild In The Streets. It's a great show.

crashed 01-18-2008 04:45 PM

Great, and without breaking any rules, where the hell do I get it?? PM please.

Kathleen 01-18-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashed (Post 798555)
Great, and without breaking any rules, where the hell do I get it?? PM please.

It's posted on dime (that's information - not a link lol)

bon jover 01-25-2008 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn (Post 798194)

Dawn

Exactly. The guy behaves boring, looks boring, IS boring.
He performs like he has an office job.

And besides that, bring back the fireworks during the gigs!!

Supersonic 01-25-2008 12:13 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by bon jover (Post 800353)
Exactly. The guy behaves boring, looks boring, IS boring.
He performs like he has an office job.

But yet does everything like he's supposed to do. Besides that, if Hugh would all of a sudden start to act like the rockstar you all want him to be, many would accuse him of being fake.

It's just that many of you can't accept it that Hugh was there all the time, and Alec was there merely for the show. You despise it when Jon does things for show like ripping his T-shirt apart yet you want a bass player that acts like a rock star.

Make up your mind, you bunch of hypocrits.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

bon jover 01-25-2008 01:09 PM

There are also other bass-players besides Alec and Hugh. It can't be so hard to find one who plays great and has an 'Alec attitude'.

Kathleen 01-25-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bon jover (Post 800358)
There are also other bass-players besides Alec and Hugh. It can't be so hard to find one who plays great and has an 'Alec attitude'.

That's not gonna happen. As Seb said, Hugh was there from the beginning and this band is quite loyal to their members.

I have defended Hugh forever. I don't care what he looks like - I don't care how he acts on stage. He's a damn fine bass player and I'd rather have him than Alec with his attitude. It is supposed to be about the music - right?

And as an aside - did any of you listen to the radio intervew that Alec did recently? There was a link posted here briefly a week or two ago. He was bashing the band politically? I don't think that there is a lot in common anymore.

crashed 01-25-2008 01:37 PM

And aside from that, Hugh's just a hell of a nice guy. He's always happy to have a chat, take a picture whatever every time I've met him. Some of my mates even joined him for breakfast in London one time, so I don't really get the Hugh bashing at all...

The man can play bass on the songs we wanna' hear without ****ing them up!

Jeez, there's been enough criticism about Jon screwing up things - so what would you all be saying if they had a bass player who couldn't play?

Esther 01-25-2008 10:14 PM

I admit I don't get the bashing of Hugh either. I was watching VH1 Classic the other night and they were talking with the "Who" all the clips from thier live performance the bass player stood around just like Hugh. He barely moved around at all, and he isn't the only guitar player that I have seen that doesn't move around alot. JMO!

schlochty 01-25-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esajovi (Post 800588)
I admit I don't get the bashing of Hugh either. I was watching VH1 Classic the other night and they were talking with the "Who" all the clips from thier live performance the bass player stood around just like Hugh. He barely moved around at all, and he isn't the only guitar player that I have seen that doesn't move around alot. JMO!

If they were older clips, his name was John Entwistle and he's a ****ing legend! Unfortunately he died back in 2002 the rock'n'roll way. Off topic of course ;)

Ferret 01-26-2008 07:33 AM

And as far as I know John Paul Jones, probably one of the greatest bassists ever, didn't exactly leap about the stage.
________
Honda cb400f

Esther 01-27-2008 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schlochty (Post 800631)
If they were older clips, his name was John Entwistle and he's a ****ing legend! Unfortunately he died back in 2002 the rock'n'roll way. Off topic of course ;)

Yes, it was him. No argument on how good he is, I just noticed he didn't really move around.

(Don't)Lie_to_me 01-27-2008 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schlochty (Post 800631)

He made a melody with the bass, never heard bass playing like it.

Bass is underrated, and any band would be grateful for his skills. BJ don't need him to live it up on-stage.

Captain Walrus 01-27-2008 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferret (Post 800750)
And as far as I know John Paul Jones, probably one of the greatest bassists ever, didn't exactly leap about the stage.

Bassists are generally renowned for not moving much ... I suppose in terms of movement, they are comparing Hugh to Alec rather than any other bassist

I guess both Hugh and Alec have pros and cons really. Hugh seems to be more professional and make less mistakes (from what people say). Alec seems to look and act the part more, move around more, and contribute those ridiculously high vocals (which may either be a good thing or bad depending on your view)