Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   An Evening With Jon Bon Jovi - San Diego - October 2014 (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=68656)

bonjovi90 10-10-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevrox (Post 1182543)
Jon sounds great!

He sounds decent for nowadays standards, but great is something different...

golittleperson 10-10-2014 07:43 PM

Tried to quote but I seem to be the only one having a problem with the site, must be my side - if I hit quote or quick reply it goes to the home page?

That aside - the video a few posts up of RS is much better than the first one that was from London (I believe). He was dropping chords, forgetting words and just a mess. I didn't know rather to laugh or cry. This has weak sound quality and the biggest problem I hear is absolutely no harmony in this band. Richie seems to think he's free forming, crowds are having fun but for those of us with only videos to hear this last tour comes across as sloppy. You can catch locals for $10 for atmosphere and sloppy.

What I hear from Jon is better than towards the end of the big tour. Couple of thoughts though, he's admitted it took a toll. Your lead guitarist fails to show on short notice, your drummer faces physical illness, the press and after the fact we know he was on that stage with planter fasciitis. That hurts. I'm more inclined to cut him some slack.

SuperBrad 10-10-2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1182542)
Indeed. Plus things like that are always easy to say behind a screen, naked, dribbling, with penis in hand.

Now, Supersonic may be the best nude dribbling penis holding singer in the world, but why is it even important to the discussion is what I am thinking. Do we now assume Jon was bad because someone on a forum can sing it too, or does that means Supersonic is an outstanding singer, or does one guy's opinion when singing in his bedroom mean nothing?

On the wider point, I think Jon sounds pretty bad too, so I agree with him actually, although I didn't practise it myself.

Haaaaaaa! Thats freakin funny :)

ticos_stick 10-10-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golittleperson (Post 1182547)
This has weak sound quality and the biggest problem I hear is absolutely no harmony in this band. Richie seems to think he's free forming, crowds are having fun but for those of us with only videos to hear this last tour comes across as sloppy. You can catch locals for $10 for atmosphere and sloppy.

I enjoyed the Richie shows but I do agree that it was pretty sloppy and a bit self indulgent at times. In a live setting the booze, atmosphere, lights & sound etc can paper over a lot of the cracks. Youtube videos show you the raw sober truth of what's happening, for better or worse.

ezearis 10-11-2014 09:06 AM

I'd love a setlist like that one. Jon should just go and make an acoustic solo tour. You Had Me From Hello is a song I hope to hear someday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickolai (Post 1182515)
And compare Jon's vocal skills to this fuckin joker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qtOXoh-Q1M

That was painful to hear.

jovifan93 10-11-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1182553)
I enjoyed the Richie shows but I do agree that it was pretty sloppy and a bit self indulgent at times. In a live setting the booze, atmosphere, lights & sound etc can paper over a lot of the cracks. Youtube videos show you the raw sober truth of what's happening, for better or worse.

Funny you chose to use the word "sober". Pun intended? ;-)

Rdkopper 10-11-2014 12:57 PM

Here are some points that I want to make...

Jon has been sounding much better lately but he's also not challenging himself either. He's got a comfortable middle tone that still works and he's really maximized it. My guess to most of that max is 'rest'. It's obvious through his faces and breathing techniques that he struggles but if you close your eyes, it actually sounds pretty decent.

It's time for Jon to reinvent himself and become a solo artist for the next five years. The band Bon Jovi needs a good 5 years off right now starting at this point.

He'll never do another DA but if you look at certain songs like Queen Of NO, his voice is so deep but at the same time it actually sounds pretty good. One of my favorite performances from this past tour and probably the past 5 years is Jon's version of 'It's Only Make Believe'. He sounds amazing. Listen for yourself.

With the right songs, catches, hooks, and production Jon could still give us something to get excited about.

I would like to see Jon do more of these acoustic type shows of his own music then the KOS cover shows.

It's obvious that Jon and Richie matured in different directions. If you watch interviews of them in the 80's and 90's and compare them to now, Jon is a totally different guy where Richie is still still the same.

I don't think Jon and Richie grew apart musically but they just want to go in different directions. Richie wants to Rock and Roll with guitars and Jon wants to be safe with pop and politics because that's all he knows now.

Supersonic 10-11-2014 03:42 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1182542)
Indeed. Plus things like that are always easy to say behind a screen, naked, dribbling, with penis in hand.

Now, Supersonic may be the best nude dribbling penis holding singer in the world, but why is it even important to the discussion is what I am thinking. Do we now assume Jon was bad because someone on a forum can sing it too, or does that means Supersonic is an outstanding singer, or does one guy's opinion when singing in his bedroom mean nothing?

On the wider point, I think Jon sounds pretty bad too, so I agree with him actually, although I didn't practise it myself.

Although I am indeed the best nude dribbling penis holding singer in the world, I was referring to myself because I am a rather average singer, and considered Jon one of the best. Yet here I am, in my master bedroom with 15 bitches around me, capable of doing a better job than Jon.

Now I'm not a singer at all, yet I'd like to think Jon is. Him really needing to stretch and pull those weird faces to reach a rather safe note is laughable and shows how bad he's gotten over the last 5 years. He's not lost some of his range, he's lost all of his range. But by all means, if people consider that sounding great, I must be sounding fantastic myself. And here I was thinking I wasn't that good. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the support. I must now go back to dribbling in the nude.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

nickolai 10-11-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1182571)
Aloha !

Although I am indeed the best nude dribbling penis holding singer in the world, I was referring to myself because I am a rather average singer, and considered Jon one of the best. Yet here I am, in my master bedroom with 15 bitches around me, capable of doing a better job than Jon.

Now I'm not a singer at all, yet I'd like to think Jon is. Him really needing to stretch and pull those weird faces to reach a rather safe note is laughable and shows how bad he's gotten over the last 5 years. He's not lost some of his range, he's lost all of his range. But by all means, if people consider that sounding great, I must be sounding fantastic myself. And here I was thinking I wasn't that good. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the support. I must now go back to dribbling in the nude.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Nah, ur not that great

liljovi93 10-11-2014 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickolai (Post 1182572)

Haha that is quite funny.

I thought you was going to break into a bit of Oasis when you started singing 'half the world away' :p