Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Did Bon Jovi rip off Die Toten Hosen? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=46939)

DevilsSon 11-22-2008 10:31 PM

Did Bon Jovi rip off Die Toten Hosen?

Well...You Want To Make A Memory is very similar to this:

very very similar. Die Toten Hosen is a great German band. In my opinion the best one there is. Started as a punk band but moved more and more to rock as years went by. And this song is really beautiful.

DevilsSon 11-22-2008 10:47 PM

Here a translation which I attempted while listening to it. It's far worse than the original. But you get an idea.

It's midnight and I can't sleep
Because there's thousand thoughts I am sending you
And I miss you more and more

You lie next to me
I can't feel you
and I can't ignore her
the fear of losing you

to believe that you are fine
and that you don't think of me
it just hurts...
it's a rotten feeling...it torments me

do you ever think back
at the beginning
when it was fine to just be in love
hoping to be just what the other needed

when did that day come?
the first doubts whether our road will go on forever?

WHAT CAN YOU DO?
when the heart burns
when the flames eat away your soul

what can you do?
when the heart burns
when ashes are all that's left of our love

what can you do?

where does that hate come from?
that makes us fight for every piece of nothing

with razor-sharp words
we stab each other
and cut our love into pieces
...we can't change it

WHAT CAN YOU DO?
when the heart burns
when the flames eat away your soul

what can you do?
when the heart burns
when ashes are all that's left of our love

You can do nothing
You can do nothing
You can do nothing
You can do nothing

Myguitar 11-22-2008 10:49 PM

Prob not but it is similar. There are many similar songs out there and I doubt BJ know DTH that well. Few people in the US know those guys.

P.S. Really can't get into the emotion when singing in German. :)

DevilsSon 11-22-2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myguitar (Post 890427)
Prob not but it is similar. There are many similar songs out there and I doubt BJ know DTH that well. Few people in the US know those guys.

I know they are not famous outside Germany, Austria, Switzerland and South America but if you are an American band that comes to Europe as often as Bon Jovi do, there's no way you will not come across their music. Steven Tyler for example is a huge Toten Hosen fan. And if you only hear this song once, it may inspire you to write something very similar...Make A Memory. Could be. could be just a coincidence.

Quote:

P.S. Really can't get into the emotion when singing in German. :)
Hehe...keep on hearing that. But German is my 2nd mother tongue. I can't remember when I've learnt it...must be when I was 4 or 5 so it's pretty much as emotional to me as any other language. Actually, as opposed to English, it's a language that has "cojones" :D. Not many non-roman languages have that.

ugly_queen_from_mars 11-23-2008 02:45 AM

the way the song builds up is kinda similar but a rip off no.
toten hosen are an interesting band with history (maybe older than bj), i'm sure jon knows them well.
(nice song i'll browse my mp3 lists now :) )

Jim Bon Jovi 11-23-2008 03:55 AM

im going to look into their cd's ive heard a couple of their tunes when ive been in germany and holland and have really dug all of them.

DevilsSon 11-23-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugly_queen_from_mars (Post 890453)
the way the song builds up is kinda similar but a rip off no.
toten hosen are an interesting band with history (maybe older than bj), i'm sure jon knows them well.
(nice song http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8I95f0...eature=related
i'll browse my mp3 lists now :) )

Oh yes, they started in 1983 and sold more than 20 million records. That's huge for a band that sings exclusively in German. They've often been accused of selling out and writing too many ballads, moving away from punk rock. And they actually wrote a song about how and why they did it. It's called Helden und Diebe, Heroes and Thieves. Which sort of starts thanking the fans, and how they had never thought they could have such a huge following. Then they explain how the "viva la revolucion" spirit has changed throughout the years. They are comfortable where they are, and if the fans want to believe in something they shouldn't believe in them, but in themselves. Very cool song. Too bad not many of you speak German cause I'd bet a lot of you would love this band.

liljovi93 11-23-2008 01:16 PM

The opening is like it but the song isn't really.
It's really hard to compare though.

ugly_queen_from_mars 11-23-2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 890488)
Oh yes, they started in 1983 and sold more than 20 million records. That's huge for a band that sings exclusively in German. They've often been accused of selling out and writing too many ballads, moving away from punk rock. And they actually wrote a song about how and why they did it. It's called Helden und Diebe, Heroes and Thieves. Which sort of starts thanking the fans, and how they had never thought they could have such a huge following. Then they explain how the "viva la revolucion" spirit has changed throughout the years. They are comfortable where they are, and if the fans want to believe in something they shouldn't believe in them, but in themselves. Very cool song. Too bad not many of you speak German cause I'd bet a lot of you would love this band.

i don't like punk so i prefer their ballads. selling out is gooood :p

slippery89 11-23-2008 09:18 PM

Nay, but a bit similiar.