Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What do you think of the Destination Anywhere era of 1997-1998? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69553)

Gregsynthbootlegs 06-26-2016 03:25 AM

What do you think of the Destination Anywhere era of 1997-1998?

I personally dig the album - and I liked the live performances I've heard. Jon still sounded great and clearly enjoyed performing during this era.

His band was tight as well.

What are your thoughts?

bonjovi90 06-26-2016 03:37 PM

A few songs I generally skip but there is some great songwriting and some tunes are really intense. I love listening to that album in the autumn/winter time and on long car drives (especially in the night). It has a certain fitting mood.
I also discovered that you can really "get down" after a show with that. On the drive back home from the Munich concert in 2011 I was still quite hyped and really chilled out by listening to it twice.

It's Just Me might actually be my favourite song from Jon solo wise. I'm also always liked Staring At Your Window, the mood of Little City, the desperation of Cold Hard Heart and the anger of August 7, 4:15 (though it's a carbon copy of Rockin' In The Free World).

Fredrik 06-26-2016 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregsynthbootlegs (Post 1201978)
I personally dig the album - and I liked the live performances I've heard. Jon still sounded great and clearly enjoyed performing during this era.

His band was tight as well.

What are your thoughts?

Love it, simply put.

Kathleen 06-26-2016 09:56 PM

I didn't "discover" this album until 2002 or 2003. Once I did I fell in love with it. I really like the whole album and its atmosphere.

bjcrazycpa 06-26-2016 10:11 PM

Absolutely adore it to this day. I rank it above the Bon Jovi records.

Faceman 06-27-2016 09:44 AM

Awesome solo record. Always enjoy listening to it from start to finish.
Like Dominik and Kathleen already said it has a very special, very intense atmosphere. Songs like Midnight In Chelsea, Staring At Your Window, It's Just Me and the title track Destination Anywhere are true gems.

The live performances were fun as well. Jon really was into performing those songs live. An aspect that we miss with most of the new material nowadays.
And the fact that he played some songs for the upcoming album live (Just Older, Hush, Life's Too Short) made them even more special.

steel_horse75 06-27-2016 09:50 AM

Half of its good half of its a bit too bland for me. But Im not a fan of solo albums in general.

When good its really good though.

Lucas_Roli 06-27-2016 09:47 PM

I love the era and I love the DA album. It doesn't contain those big hit songs like the band did on previous albums, but it has very pleasent songs that I really really enjoy. I'm not very sure with the timeline of the songs but I guess that besides the DA album we can also count in songs like Sad Song Night, Gimme Some, Hush(the live performance from 98 ), Talk To Jesus, Good Ain't Good Enough,Life's to Short For Days Like These, in that era, all of these are songs I really love.

I enjoy listening to almost everything from DA, my favorite song from the album being Staring At Your Window. This song has song has something very special for me, something I can't exactly put my finger on, I just really enjoy listening to this track when it's dark outside and also when I take random car drives where I just stare in the blank and meditate.

Becky 06-28-2016 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa (Post 1202004)
Absolutely adore it to this day. I rank it above the Bon Jovi records.

Same here. I adore this album. It's brilliant, beyond brilliant... totally underrated by most fans. If Jon did every album with the bravery, intelligence, and sheer talent that he did Destination with, I think I'd died and gone to heaven. I also think he'd be far more recognized critically than he is.

The radio shows he did to promote the album were excellent. Some of them are among my favorite recordings.

BonJovi100 06-28-2016 10:20 AM

I think that after little depressing "These Days" it was time for Jon to reset his faith, to clear what he want to do and find again who he is and who do he want to be. For me it's time when he tried to find inspirations and motivation for rest of his life. It was the same thing like he did in 1991. He recharged his battery again. At this time he made songs by using all his fears and hopes and even little angry which he hide inside at that time.
And he made it with in very poetic way so it's the reason why we have so great album with fantastic atmosphere.
It's very good time for fans but people usualy don't like that little depressing periods on their lives.In life we have ups and downs. TDays/DA representing "downs" in BJovi and "Crush" is defenitely representing "ups" in Jons life.