Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New Richie Sideshow announced in Melbourne! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=59480)

Alphavictim 02-28-2014 11:28 PM

Okay, then what about

Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
Ritchie Blackmore
Mathias Jabs (Scorpions)
Brad Gills (Nightranger)
Neal Schon (Journey)
Angus Young (AC/DC)

sambos apprentice 03-01-2014 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1165388)
. Richie has always put the craft of the song first.

isn't this alarming then if you consider his recent output?

semigoodlookin 03-01-2014 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sambos apprentice (Post 1165452)
isn't this alarming then if you consider his recent output?

Yes. I am not defending him, I am not impressed with anything he has done for a while, although in this live tour he is improving (not enough for my taste though).

sambos apprentice 03-01-2014 01:34 AM

the guy is my idol-those of you who have been kind enough to download my music ( www.facebook.com/thetoiofficial ) can see, hear and FEEL how crucial he is and will always be as a point of reference for guitar, vocals and songwriting in our band.

Saying this, the guy is past caring how good his chops are and despite what he said recently about always wanting to learn, it's clear he can't be arsed and is giving half assed performances. Perhaps that sadly IS his level but we have come to expect more from him although he's been on the wane since 96 and especially downhill since 2003.

Captain_jovi 03-01-2014 04:00 AM

Quote:

Richie has always put the craft of the song first.

Pre 2000 I'd agree with you. But the crap he wrote on his own (Take me on, Willing to try) made me shocked he wrote lyrics that would be right at home on post 2000 Bon Jovi albums.

I'm not gonna change who I am
But I ain't gonna give up the fight
I don't care who's wrong or right
When the push comes to shove
And you tell me you've had enough
You're thinking of giving up on love

I don't see why he's glorified as a musical hero when his footprint in recent Jovi albums is still what it is. He made the point that he tries to steer the band in a more bluesy rock direction but how bad were the lyrics/song styles before that we ended up with them the way they are.

JackieBlue 03-01-2014 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1165168)
I agree, he has improved a lot over the weeks, but Samboīs Apprentice didnīt say otherwise. Despite that improvement he is nowhere near where he should be as a guitarist. His licks have always been "Samboraesque" he just repeats them, but yeah he has varied it up a bit, surely the influence of another guitarist coming to the fore. The point about bends was right too, he is killing a lot of them. He is getting better though, and I would be interested to see where that improvement would take him through more gigging.

I understand some people donīt play guitar or donīt even care, but why say it is "unreal" playing if it isnīt? I would say very few guitarists in history have been "unreal" so while some are over-reacting negatively, there is certainly a lot of towel slapping going on the other way too.

Slash is pretty sloppy live so is hardly a good example of someone who has improved with age. Vai has improved technically (Sambo didnīt mention creativity), but then him and Satriani were always on a different level to Richie anyway.

Sambora is my all-time favorite, but he has NEVER played stuff "in a league of its own," again something that has only been achieved by a select few. So in terms of saying the critique of his playing is rubbish, it just isnīt, and there are a bunch of guitarists better than Richie right now. I totally reserve the right to change that opinion because as I said he is improving and he has always had something most of the other guitarists havenīt, the ability to bring the whole package.

I can't argue with anything you say here (and that's sayjng a lot because my daddy used to say I'd argue with a fence post :)) . But I would like to respond to a couple of points you made.

Why say it's unreal? Because from the standpoint of someone who plays only well enough to accompany myself and then only on pretty easy folksy type stuff, Richie's playing IS unreal or at the very least seems unreal. Maybe because he does bring the whole package. The term 'jack of all trades' comes to mind. Richie may not be a master of any of the things he does, if by 'master' one means unsurpassed technical skill; but the level of artistry he is capable of just astounds me. To be as good as he is (or has been, if you prefer) at so many aspects is another reason I would say it's unreal. His vocal harmonies, the bluesey turns he makes with a string or his voice, while again perhaps not technically excellent, are just uniquely special. For me, I think it's the musician's soul that I see in him that causes him to stand head and shoulders above other musicians as far as I'm concerned. And to repeat, I'm talking about those cases where he's clearly involved in what he's doing, not just going through the motions.

As I typed this my brain was playing mental videos of Richie's finer moments and the two that jumped to the forefront were from the early years and both were vocal moments. But when he sang the verse on Drift Away ( sorry, not sure which show) and Blood on Blood (Santiago '90 maybe) I got chills. The depth of emotion is just beyond comprehension. Unreal, if you will. I know you guys were talking guitar, but as I said it's the combination of better than average skill at almost everything - lead vocals, harmonies, lead guitar, accompanying, songwriting, - coupled with the emotion and, idk, pure enjoyment of music that makes him a standout for me.

The second comment (much shorter, which I'm sure you will appreciate) is that when you talk about how much he's improved since Valentine's Day, you do realize that we're still in February for a couple more hours, at least where I am. That's just two weeks ago. Pretty significant improvement for such a short time.

I'm looking forward to much more from Mr. Bluesman! :)

JackieBlue 03-01-2014 05:09 AM

Quote:

...Richie has always put the craft of the song first.

Ding!

Quote:

Richie is about the whole package.

Ding! Ding! Ding!! :) :) :)

JackieBlue 03-01-2014 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1165476)
Pre 2000 I'd agree with you. But the crap he wrote on his own (Take me on, Willing to try) made me shocked he wrote lyrics that would be right at home on post 2000 Bon Jovi albums.

I'm not gonna change who I am
But I ain't gonna give up the fight
I don't care who's wrong or right
When the push comes to shove
And you tell me you've had enough
You're thinking of giving up on love

I don't see why he's glorified as a musical hero when his footprint in recent Jovi albums is still what it is. He made the point that he tries to steer the band in a more bluesy rock direction but how bad were the lyrics/song styles before that we ended up with them the way they are.

One more and I'll stop spamming -at least for tonight.:)

I just think this proves that like beauty it's all in the eye of the beholder. I LIKE 'Willing to Try'. It's actually one of my favorite songs. ( But then, I liked MMMM-Bop! :roll:)

What's wrong with the lyrics? They may not be the poetic answer to War and Peace, but why do you think they're bad? That's not meant to be argumentative. I'm really curious. What constitutes a "great" lyric? And on the same subject why does it have to be heavy metal to be rock? Pop is just as much a part of the rock genre, IMO, as hard rock is, isn't it? Or am I missing something?

Seriously, just curious...

Captain_jovi 03-01-2014 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1165513)
One more and I'll stop spamming -at least for tonight.:)

I just think this proves that like beauty it's all in the eye of the beholder. I LIKE 'Willing to Try'. It's actually one of my favorite songs. ( But then, I liked MMMM-Bop! :roll:)

What's wrong with the lyrics? They may not be the poetic answer to War and Peace, but why do you think they're bad? That's not meant to be argumentative. I'm really curious. What constitutes a "great" lyric? And on the same subject why does it have to be heavy metal to be rock? Pop is just as much a part of the rock genre, IMO, as hard rock is, isn't it? Or am I missing something?

Seriously, just curious...

I'm not saying those are bad lyrics, that's not really what I'm getting at. I love a good pop song and I'm more saying people are casting stones at Jon for being the big reason the band has become poppy and it's Richie being held back from truly bringing the band to a rocking place. But those lyrics are just as generic as most things from the post 2000 Bon Jovi output.

Pop isn't necessarily part of the rock genre but the band was rock/pop for years and it turned the other way around. It's important to remember Richie was a big part of songs that just relied on cliches and easy rhymes just as Jon is.

Javier 03-01-2014 08:43 AM

Just for the record and out of topic, mmm-bop has some very decent lyrics (aside from the chorus) and is a very good pop song! That's it, carry on now....