Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Jon Bon Jovi and KOS charity show July 30th at Count Basie (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=68614)

Rdkopper 08-13-2014 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1181160)
Fair enough, Blaze is by far the highest peak Jon ever had as a singer, and probably as a songwriter on his own (don't know how much was co-written on Blaze and am too lazy to look it up right now ;-)) too.

Totally agree!!! '90 & '91 are my favorite times. Not only just on Blaze but his work with Aldo Nova on Blood On The Bricks (Write and Producer) too. I dig his performances with Southside Johnny on Workin Too Hard and backing vocals on Souls Of Fire.

Vocally:
- Blaze Album
- Levon
- SSJ
- Count Basie Charity Shows
- New Years Eve Japan
- Hammersmith was even in early 1990

I need more material from this period. If nothing else exists, I want Hammersmith and the first two Count Basie shows in soundboard.

- I'm totally in the minority on this one but I also love Jon's voice during his vocal struggle period in '87. That rasp gives me chills on certain performances.

nickolai 08-13-2014 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1181098)
That's basically where I draw the line too. 1997-2000, it wasn't an overnight change but a progression (And it's still progressing).

Not to start another vocal discussion but I think the vocal change, changed the writing which in turn, changed the artist.... In combination with other small factors as well such as age etc. but the big one is vocal change.

If you listen back to Jon's performances from 1997, you'll think they are brilliant because you're comparing it to today. And in fact, they were brilliant but If you do a true comparison, from 1997 to anything prior, you could tell that there was something different going on there. The Eeeeeee's started to emerge more often. Even In Real Life, I've noticed it. It's subtle but it's there.

It wasn't an overnight change but I think something happened during the TDs tour that made Jon change vocally. I'm not sure if it was physical or maybe a vocal expert told him to cool down for a while but there was a reason for the sudden deeper tone. I not talking specifically about the DA album, although that could be a reason but I'm more so talking about live performances. Darker vocal on covers like Not Fade Away. Every Word is probably the closest to a Bon Jovi type song on the album and I feel that Jon just misses it live vocally.

I know this might be a bad comparison but when he provided the vocals for Bang A Drum on Chris Deluxe's album, I knew at that point something was gone for good. Yes, it was supposed to be sung deeper to match Chris' vocal and not be compared to the original but I still heard something in that voice that I never heard before.

It really became apparent to me a few years later on Thank You For Loving Me. If he sang that in the 80's or 90's he would have killed it. That song fell flat because Jon couldn't sing it with that passion his voice once carried. I partially blame the producer but Crush was supposed to be a back to roots type album and TYFLM could have been the next I'll Be There For You, Always, BOR, but Jon missed it because of his vocals and I don't think he's tried another one since. Some say AALY but that doesn't compare.

Now, Jon did have some moments live where that old school voice and style emerged but it was short lived and still not the same.

Once 2005 came about and Jon was able to pull off Who Says which was not only easy vocally but Shanks proved that you could make an album using short-cuts, that was the icing on the cake.

Rdkopper, as amazing as Wembley 1995 was - I do think that Jon was weak vocally in parts. On the DVD the songs seem to be conveniently chosen that are strong vocally. But certainly in other songs he sounded "tired"

Captain Walrus 08-15-2014 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSantaFe (Post 1181115)
I agree with all you say. This does remind me of this performance from 2009 that blows all the 'Every Word's from the 90s out of the water. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMhLfyOuLyQ

Bloody hell, that is a fantastic performance! It's crazy that just five years ago he was sounding that good ... what has happened since 2011 for him to just lose it all again like he has?

Captain Walrus 08-15-2014 11:53 PM

Watching some of the Blaze songs now - genuinely, if that was what a JBJ solo gig was like nowadays, I think most of us would be quite happy with the band taking a bit of a break!

Bounce7800 08-16-2014 12:02 PM

I'd really love a proper JBJ solo show, not a KOS cover-fest, but DA & Blaze songs with Bon Jovi songs and a smattering of covers.

Would have loved to have done the DA show in London in 97, curses to Jon for doing it the day before my GCSEs.

bjmjpl 08-22-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1181221)
I'd really love a proper JBJ solo show, not a KOS cover-fest, but DA & Blaze songs with Bon Jovi songs and a smattering of covers.

Would have loved to have done the DA show in London in 97, curses to Jon for doing it the day before my GCSEs.

oh man - the starland show was so great - i didnt realize that there were videos! what a great show

i would rate the richie show as more enjoyable to me (first one i didnt get to see both like super cool kathleen :) ) than jbj but the jbj show was very very good

i love the music they write so seeing richie play and actually have practiced was wonderful

jbj starland blows it all away...i remember seeing kenny aranoff there and thinking...wow...he really went out for this....

and then sneaking around before the show and seeing them typing or at least scrolling through the band a drum lyrics for the prompter and thinking...wow...he REALLY went out for this....

great historic night :)

miss them

Old Joysey 12-24-2014 02:32 PM

Jon Bon Jovi presents check to Red Bank's Parker Center

http://www.app.com/story/entertainme...nter/20824027/

rocknation 12-28-2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Joysey (Post 1184180)
Jon Bon Jovi presents check to Red Bank's Parker Center
http://www.app.com/story/entertainme...nter/20824027/

LOL -- Are you psychic?

To help promote the benefit in July, I found a promotional video on Parker's web site that was shot by the local community college (which should give you a clue as to what a tight budget they're on). Then I came across a video of Jon at the 2011 Parker benefit and thought it would work great with the promotional video -- public service announcement accomplished!

Old Joysey 12-28-2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknation (Post 1184275)
LOL -- Are you psychic?

Sorta... Madam Marie speaks to me when I sleep! ;)

It would help if people listened to his speech instead of screaming hysterically...

Old Joysey 02-08-2015 02:33 PM

New upload, high quality:
Peace, Love and Understanding
http://youtu.be/HpCpvFXHYIU