Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Richie on current leg of the tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55338)

Mysterytrain 04-03-2013 03:02 PM

Yes, I've gotten the same vibe about where his heart seems to be re: music: He's doing a contest for 'Every Road', put up a couple of vids on his YouTube account of the duets with the violin player; he's still pushing 'Aftermath' in the midst of touring 'WAN'. Isn't it true that he only co-wrote a few of the songs on 'WAN'?

Also, I've noticed his language about the Bon Jovi album/tour is often impersonal; he uses terms like 'machine' or 'monster tour'---almost like 'here we go again' or like it's something that's an obligation that he has little control over. He's said he wants to be like The Rolling Stones and play until he dies...but in what way? With Bon Jovi? Solo? I do remember a recent interview where he said he wants to do more solo work more frequently. Luckily, his career in Bon Jovi has given him the financial stability to do that, if he chooses.

RonJovi 04-03-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysterytrain (Post 1119236)
Yes, I've gotten the same vibe about where his heart seems to be re: music: He's doing a contest for 'Every Road', put up a couple of vids on his YouTube account of the duets with the violin player; he's still pushing 'Aftermath' in the midst of touring 'WAN'. Isn't it true that he only co-wrote a few of the songs on 'WAN'?

Also, I've noticed his language about the Bon Jovi album/tour is often impersonal; he uses terms like 'machine' or 'monster tour'---almost like 'here we go again' or like it's something that's an obligation that he has little control over. He's said he wants to be like The Rolling Stones and play until he dies...but in what way? With Bon Jovi? Solo? I do remember a recent interview where he said he wants to do more solo work more frequently. Luckily, his career in Bon Jovi has given him the financial stability to do that, if he chooses.

I've gotten that impression from interviews too but it's hard to tell with Richie because he does talk a lot of nonsense sometimes.

Not sure he would tour if he was losing his own money though.

Robd788 04-03-2013 03:10 PM

I think Richie is enough of a professional not to leave in the middle of a tour when he knows the bulk of his solo audience have shelled out loads to see Bon Jovi this tour.

If he was going to leave the band he would do it after the tour has finished. Maybe announce it before the end of the tour, but he would still finish the tour.

samboraisgodUK 04-03-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1119224)
Time to replace him.....full time

You're an idiot.

danfan 04-03-2013 03:30 PM

I can see Richie having had enough of the "Jon Bon Jovi Machine". He doesn't co-write nearly as much as he used to. The songs have no solos in them. Bobby does half of them live.

Of course, I hope he understands, if he goes on his own, he won't find many people at his shows unless he's playing clubs. But if that makes him happy, so be it.

It's sad as no one can replace Richie's background "Wanted", but truth be told, there are far better guitar players out there. I would never have said that 15 years ago, but Richie hasn't impressed me at all in the live setting since about 1996.

danfan 04-03-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1119240)
You're an idiot.

No he's not. Richie has some issues that he obviously keeps putting in front of his professional career. If he can't get his crap together, ditch him. What makes Richie better than any one of us. If we started jerking off at work, we'd get canned too.

samboraisgodUK 04-03-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1119245)
No he's not. Richie has some issues that he obviously keeps putting in front of his professional career. If he can't get his crap together, ditch him. What makes Richie better than any one of us. If we started jerking off at work, we'd get canned too.

That's all as maybe, but it's not Bon Jovi without Richie. He is irreplaceable in this band. As someone else said earlier, without Richie it's Jon Bon Jovi & Friends.

RonJovi 04-03-2013 03:36 PM

It's all purely speculation because I still think this is a family emergency or something but...

If this is the end of Richie Sambora in Bon Jovi - what a shit way to go. This band has given us 30 years of amazing music and pleasure and Richie has been integral to that. If that is the case, personally, I'd rather that they called it a day but even if they were to carry on with a new member, I'd rather Richie got a proper send off.

I'll be majorly pissed off if this is the case.

Beaky 04-03-2013 03:38 PM

Anyone subscribing to the whole 'get rid of him' bollocks is a million miles away from me when it comes to the relationship with this band... that, or a troll. It's bad enough when an album doesn't have any Richie on it, but live as well? Do one. If you think that's the way forward, you've never actually got what this band is about, any more than it seems Jon has.

If you f*ck about at work, you get fired, fine.

A) Substance abuse is not f*cking about... so, seeing as you want to play 'real world' for a minute, you fire someone because they come to you and say they need to go into rehab, you might as well hand them a pile of cash before you close the door. Addiction is a disease, whether anyone likes it/believes it or not. You'd be sued to within an inch of your life if you fired someone over that. A 'mutual agreement' on the parting of ways, fine. But as we've all said...

B) We have no idea what this is all about...

danfan 04-03-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaky (Post 1119248)
Anyone subscribing to the whole 'get rid of him' bollocks is a million miles away from me when it comes to the relationship with this band... that, or a troll. It's bad enough when an album doesn't have any Richie on it, but live as well? Do one. If you think that's the way forward, you've never actually got what this band is about, any more than it seems Jon has.

If you f*ck about at work, you get fired, fine.

A) Substance abuse is not f*cking about... so, seeing as you want to play 'real world' for a minute, you fire someone because they come to you and say they need to go into rehab, you might as well hand them a pile of cash before you close the door. Addiction is a disease, whether anyone likes it/believes it or not. You'd be sued to within an inch of your life if you fired someone over that. A 'mutual agreement' on the parting of ways, fine. But as we've all said...

B) We have no idea what this is all about...

We all know what Bon Jovi is about, and without Richie, it won't be Bon Jovi. However, the fact remains, if it is substance abuse, (I don't buy the whole disease crap), then you're putting that above and beyond all else. You lose your job.

If substance abuse is a disease, how come some can be cured while others can't?

NicoRourke 04-03-2013 03:43 PM

I think we speculate way too much - but in the other hand why wouldn't we ;)

Must be something really serious for him to leave so abruptly.

I wish him / them the best, and hope that he'll return soon.

RonJovi 04-03-2013 03:43 PM

Yeah, to me, it would be Jon Bon Jovi and Friends. Richie is the only other member who writes the songs, him and Jon are a double act. While Jon is clearly the 'senior partner', this band isn't Bon Jovi for me without Richie Sambora.

I'd still buy the albums and go to the shows but it'd be a bit hollow without Richie.

Beaky 04-03-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1119250)
We all know what Bon Jovi is about, and without Richie, it won't be Bon Jovi. However, the fact remains, if it is substance abuse, (I don't buy the whole disease crap), then you're putting that above and beyond all else. You lose your job.

If substance abuse is a disease, how come some can be cured while others can't?

This isn't a debate mate, it's a fact! I can't argue with you over whether it's a disease or not... it is. My point is, you can't just sack someone from their job for the situation Richie was in.

This might help you...

In reality, drug addiction is a complex disease, and quitting takes more than good intentions or a strong will. In fact, because drugs change the brain in ways that foster compulsive drug abuse, quitting is difficult, even for those who are ready to do so. Through scientific advances, we know more about how drugs work in the brain than ever, and we also know that drug addiction can be successfully treated to help people stop abusing drugs and lead productive lives.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publication...buse-addiction

I can argue the fact that anyone who says they should get shot of Richie, doesn't have any hope/give a toss for this band going forward or never got what they were about in the first place.

Also sad that this seems to be bringing all the Richie-haters out of the woodwork, with their glee at AOTL's poor numbers and people who haven't even seen him live talking about how he struggled.

Still... I would be really surprised if it were drug-related.

danfan 04-03-2013 03:54 PM

Sorry, I don't care what the internet says, I don't buy it. It's a choice to start drinking or shooting up. No disease forced him to start in the first place. It was a personal decision. What it's done to his brain from that point is his own fault.

AIDS is a disease. Well, a virus actually. You can't just wake up one morning, decide to go to counseling, and get rid of it. You can do that with substance abuse. Plenty of people have.

Gabriel Shoes 04-03-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1119253)
Yeah, to me, it would be Jon Bon Jovi and Friends. Richie is the only other member who writes the songs, him and Jon are a double act. While Jon is clearly the 'senior partner', this band isn't Bon Jovi for me without Richie Sambora.

I'd still buy the albums and go to the shows but it'd be a bit hollow without Richie.

What a weird way to protest.

RonJovi 04-03-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaky (Post 1119255)
Also sad that this seems to be bringing all the Richie-haters out of the woodwork, with their glee at AOTL's poor numbers and people who haven't even seen him live talking about how he struggled.

I'm not a Richie hater and take no glee in the fact that AOTL tanked because I think it's a very good album and his second best solo effort.

Fact is it did tank.

No one said he struggled performance wise either. From what I hear, people who attended the shows enjoyed them immensely and so did Richie.

Fact is though, that he cancelled 4 (IIRC) shows which calls into question the viability of a career post Bon Jovi unless he is willing to lose his own money doing it.

If you can see glee at poor sales or Richie-hating on my part, feel free to quote where I've done either.

RonJovi 04-03-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel Shoes (Post 1119257)
What a weird way to protest.

If Richie leaves, I'll likely still enjoy Jon's/Bon Jovi's music. It won't be as good as with Richie but why would I protest or what gives you the impression I'd want to?

CKatz 04-03-2013 04:00 PM

We don't know yet if Richie's old demons have come back to haunt him. "Personal issues" is a very broad term..it could mean anything. So at this point people are just assuming or jumping to conclusions based on his past. That's not fair.
I'll wait for a more detailed announcement.

Beaky 04-03-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1119256)
Sorry, I don't care what the internet says, I don't buy it. It's a choice to start drinking or shooting up. No disease forced him to start in the first place. It was a personal decision. What it's done to his brain from that point is his own fault.

AIDS is a disease. Well, a virus actually. You can't just wake up one morning, decide to go to counseling, and get rid of it. You can do that with substance abuse. Plenty of people have.

Let's not make this about something else; you brought the 'real world' scenario into this and I am telling you with 100% assurance that in the real world, substance abuse is seen as a disease and an employer would have many hoops to jump through to dismiss someone on the grounds suggested. That's a fact.

Your comments on AIDs are admirable and perfectly reflect how times have changed and thirty years ago, how someone might have thought differently and taken a similar attitude to the one you have now about addiction.
Perhaps in thirty years time your comments on substance abuse will also be seen as archaic and people will be in disbelief that someone could ever have thought like that. Just sayin'.

Gabriel Shoes 04-03-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1119259)
If Richie leaves, I'll likely still enjoy Jon's/Bon Jovi's music. It won't be as good as with Richie but why would I protest or what gives you the impression I'd want to?

You're right, you're totally fine with Richie leaving the band. Oh, and there's always the BSWJBJ board to go, as it seems a lot more appropriate for a person with your oppinions.

Thierry 04-03-2013 04:04 PM

Does that mean that Phil X will be joining Bon Jovi anytime soon? As I haven't seen any announcement yet.

I'd be thrilled to see Bon Jovi with Phil X during the Summer if Richie can't get his shit together.

Beaky 04-03-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1119258)
I'm not a Richie hater and take no glee in the fact that AOTL tanked because I think it's a very good album and his second best solo effort.

Fact is it did tank.

No one said he struggled performance wise either. From what I hear, people who attended the shows enjoyed them immensely and so did Richie.

Fact is though, that he cancelled 4 (IIRC) shows which calls into question the viability of a career post Bon Jovi unless he is willing to lose his own money doing it.

If you can see glee at poor sales or Richie-hating on my part, feel free to quote where I've done either.

If you can see me quoting/naming you when I wrote the above, please do let me know...

The fact that you responded is interesting but you weren't even on my radar, other than the fact I'd enjoyed reading your contribution to this thread.

PLENTY of people on here bashed the living p*ss out of Richie during his solo shows...

RonJovi 04-03-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaky (Post 1119264)
If you can see me quoting/naming you when I wrote the above, please do let me know...

The fact that you responded is interesting but you weren't even on my radar, other than the fact I'd enjoyed reading your contribution to this thread.

PLENTY of people on here bashed the living p*ss out of Richie during his solo shows...

Fair enough...maybe me being defensive. :-)

CKatz 04-03-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1119258)

Fact is it did tank.

His European shows sold out quickly. He could focus his solo career on Europe. North America is not the center of the universe. Just because his solo shows in America didn't work out as planned that doesn't mean he won't be able to tour in the future.

Thierry 04-03-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaky (Post 1119264)

Because the song choices and the backing band were actually crap? Does that mean we should suck up and say it was awesome where it wasn't that awesome to begin with? Wouldn't that be just a lie?

Thierry 04-03-2013 04:10 PM

Phil X, Phil X, Phil X bring Phil X back

Is he performing with Bon Jovi tonight. He is an awesome guitar player and a good singer. A perfect replacement I'd think :).

SexxAtraxxion 04-03-2013 04:10 PM

The shows should've been cancelled temporally. Jon is ripping off the fans.

If The Edge couldn't play, do you guys think U2 would continue the shows? No.

Beaky 04-03-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1119266)
Fair enough...maybe me being defensive. :-)

No problem chief... I know it's private and I know it's personal but in this digital age of immediacy, would be nice if they just told everyone he's in good health, at least.

DevilsSon 04-03-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1119256)

Most of the times, I think you are a perfectly normal guy posting on this forum, usually even having something to say.

Every now and then I think: 'God, you're such a moron and I am so happy people like you are nowhere near the circle of people I keep close'.

Just saying.

As about Richie - it's all speculation but it's quite crazy to assume he left the band or anything. FFS, it's just been one show so far. There is no official explanation yet so it's really pre-mature to think he might have quit. I think they are far beyond that point. Should Richie leave for good, make it public, I can see how Jon will actually pull the plug on Bon Jovi the band. They might finish the tour, but I can't see how it can continue afterwards. And maybe, it's actually the best for everyone.

RonJovi 04-03-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion (Post 1119270)
The shows should've been cancelled temporally. Jon is ripping off the fans.

If he was purely about the cash, why did they donate 100k to charity?

Haha, just saw your location...nice. :-)

Thierry 04-03-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1119272)
And maybe, it's actually the best for everyone.

Yup I can finally start to save some money then.

DevilsSon 04-03-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion (Post 1119270)

Of course they would continue. In fact, I don't think the Edge was EVER able to play, yet they have been touring for over 30 years now.

Thierry 04-03-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1119275)
Of course they would continue. In fact, I don't think the Edge could EVER play, yet they have been touring for over 30 years now.

Pada boom! Owned!

Rdkopper 04-03-2013 04:20 PM

First off and most important, I hope everything is ok in the Sambora camp. These guys are getting older, they are human, and they do have real problem like everyone else.

I just hope people could be mature and unselfish about this. Whatever issue Richie is dealing with, put yourself in his situation and apply it to your everyday career. If you had a personal issue to address, would you want others at your job to respect your decision? Or bash you behind your back?

I just hope this doesn't turn into a Jon pissing match. The guy always does his best and is caught between a rock and a hard place once again. No Richie does not = a JBJ and Friends show. There are 4 other members in Bon Jovi and Jon will get a professional replacement to perform Bon Jovi songs.

90% of the people will have the right attitude about the situation and will still find a ways to go and enjoy themselves. For the remaining 10%, there is always Stub-Hub. If you put your tickets up for face value or maybe just under, you should have no problems selling them.

I'm going to both New Meadowlands Stadium shows in July with a bunch of friends and I'll be sure as shit to have a good time regardless.

On a side note, I'm curious to see this Bon Jovi show with Jon on lead. I find these situations interesting because it kicks these guys in the ass and forces them to get off auto-pilot. You probably get a better show to some degree.

Beaky 04-03-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry (Post 1119268)
Because the song choices and the backing band were actually crap? Does that mean we should suck up and say it was awesome where it wasn't that awesome to begin with? Wouldn't that be just a lie?

Read the thread mate, it was about people revelling in his failure... stop looking for a fight.

RonJovi 04-03-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel Shoes (Post 1119262)
You're right, you're totally fine with Richie leaving the band. Oh, and there's always the BSWJBJ board to go, as it seems a lot more appropriate for a person with your oppinions.

Have I missed something?

Where have I said I'm totally fine with Richie leaving the band? (which, just to be clear, I don't believe he has)

What opinions are you talking about?

idbl_fanatic 04-03-2013 04:25 PM

This kind of pisses me off, I have been to EVERY tour that they have done, this would be the first that my 10 yr old daughter is VERY excited to go to, and now Richie won't be there. I'm not even sure what the ban will sound like without him.

Thierry 04-03-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaky (Post 1119278)
Read the thread mate, it was about people revelling in his failure... stop looking for a fight.

I'm not looking for a fight, I'm just being realistic. 0X

bjcrazycpa 04-03-2013 04:26 PM

I know he's been touring and recording with his own band The Drills. But, he would be the obvious choice. Not sure if they can get someone for tonight's show on such short notice but we'll see.

danfan 04-03-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1119272)

Every now and then I think: 'God, you're such a moron and I am so happy people like you are nowhere near the circle of people I keep close'.

Why? Because I don't think substance abuse is a disease?

I'm not saying I don't have empathy for people with abuse problems. I just feel as though calling it a disease is an excuse. There has never been scientific evidence that points to anyone being forced to pick up a bottle of alcohol or needle of heroin. Now, of course once they start, quitting is a different story. Is that a disease? I don't know. Guess it depends on your opinion.