Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Why wasn't I Will Drive You Home played live? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69746)

Walleris 10-31-2016 09:21 AM

Why wasn't I Will Drive You Home played live?

I mean, during the album showcase gigs.

I thought it was Jon's best ballad in years and a real dark horse at the end of an album. Yet, it was one of the two songs (from the leaked Deluxe version) ommited from the setlist.

I really don't get why - it's super easy vocally, the instrumental parts are easy as well. It's not like those shows were long. I get that there is a drum loop, but other pop-rock bands (U2, Coldplay, etc.) have used loops in live performances. The backup vocal outro could also be playbacked, I would've been OK with that. Or, to make it even better, they could've easily done an organic live version with live drums and live backing vocals. Either way, it's much better than not playing it at all...

Did Jon address it in between songs or in any way? Or at least does anyone here have a decent explanation as to what could've been the reason?

The worst part is, the fact that it wasn't played in the 4 shows means that it won't get played ever :(

steel_horse75 10-31-2016 11:28 AM

Cos although its a good song it dont fit the album

Kukoc7 10-31-2016 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1212713)
Cos although its a good song it dont fit the album

And even though I personally like the ending, I can't imagine them doing that type of ending live.

symbeline 10-31-2016 04:25 PM

Because it's clearly a song for the diehards who appreciate that style (exactly how many casual fans bought DA? or the singles from Crush and Bounce?) and it's on an ultra deluxe edition for diehards...

I love the song but it would kill the atmosphere on a show. I even doubt they'll do Real Love, it's the type of song Jon loves but knows fans hate. It's basically their 2016 Open All Night (the Bounce one). Their shows need desperately energy. It fits perfectly in a RT thing so all hope is not lost ;)

But yeah, one of the best, easily top5

Kukoc7 10-31-2016 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by symbeline (Post 1212748)
Because it's clearly a song for the diehards who appreciate that style (exactly how many casual fans bought DA? or the singles from Crush and Bounce?) and it's on an ultra deluxe edition for diehards...

I love the song but it would kill the atmosphere on a show. I even doubt they'll do Real Love, it's the type of song Jon loves but knows fans hate. It's basically their 2016 Open All Night (the Bounce one). Their shows need desperately energy. It fits perfectly in a RT thing so all hope is not lost ;)

Very well put.
And yes Top 5 for me as well.

Walleris 10-31-2016 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by symbeline (Post 1212748)

You're listing arguments why it should not be played on tour. And for the most part I agree. However, these were the shows for die-hards, not casuals. Hence, it should've been played.

That being said, I'm positively surprised to see so many fans of this song. When I first heard it, I thought it'd be my guilty pleasure and most people here would hate it because of loops, ending and general 'cheesiness'. Glad to be wrong :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kukoc7 (Post 1212740)
And even though I personally like the ending, I can't imagine them doing that type of ending live.

Easily. Either use playback or have the band (David, Phil, Everett) sing it live to give it a different feel. Either way works, I don't see an obstacle here.

Captain_jovi 10-31-2016 06:11 PM

Agreed, the ending is zero obstacle to pull off. You can use vocal filters and effects or just do it with nothing. We'll never know why it didn't get played.

Kukoc7 10-31-2016 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1212774)
Agreed, the ending is zero obstacle to pull off. You can use vocal filters and effects or just do it with nothing. We'll never know why it didn't get played.

I realize that it's not that they can't pull it off live due to equipment/technology obstacles. I've seen Bon Iver live so I'm aware of the fact it can be accomplished.
It's that they would refrain from doing so because of the sound being so contrary to what fans are used to at their concerts.

Captain_jovi 10-31-2016 06:40 PM

Hmm I guess. I don't see it as that different. They've always employed heavy vocal harmony and if they didn't want to use that vocoder effect due to the reason you said they would just do it naturally. I think they chose the same setlist for the 4 shows to unify it and had stories behind those 15 songs specifically. There's no sense changing a setlist if you're not getting people going to more than 1 show also.

Kukoc7 10-31-2016 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1212783)
Hmm I guess. I don't see it as that different. They've always employed heavy vocal harmony and if they didn't want to use that vocoder effect due to the reason you said they would just do it naturally. I think they chose the same setlist for the 4 shows to unify it and had stories behind those 15 songs specifically. There's no sense changing a setlist if you're not getting people going to more than 1 show also.

Fair point. I mean personally I would be elated to witness it live yet as we have become accustomed to, other than the four recent performances, they've rarely played any bonus tracks live in concert.