Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   This is why Bon Jovi will continue to make albums and tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=68717)

semigoodlookin 09-17-2014 02:42 PM

This is why Bon Jovi will continue to make albums and tour

You are all probably aware of the U2 and Apple mess. The band gave away their newest album free via iTunes and it has caused a shitstorm, with the consumers and music industry up in arms. One of the goals behind that strategy was that the release could drvie interest in U2's back catalog as well as giving the new album plenty of free publicity (which it is getting for better or for worse).

However, according to the NME, sales figures (presumably UK based) for U2's back catalog over the last week have been dismal. In fact, ****ing 60 have been sold through bricks and mortar locations, while 6,047 have shifted online.

U2 are a big band, in the same bracket as Bon Jovi in terms of appeal, album sales, longevity etc and are probably bigger than the Jovi. With that in mind, we can safely assume that Bon Jovi's back catalog sales are equally shit, which means that Jon has no steady money stream coming from royalties.

He is a wealthy dude of course, but at his level there is always that want for more, especially if a football team is his ultimate goal. So a new album and tour will come.

Ahhh, I just realized I wrote all that and could have just said, back catalog sales are shit, Bon Jovi will record and tour again.

Rdkopper 09-17-2014 02:59 PM

You lost me in the second half of this. Why does Bon Jovi need to do a tour and album? Because their back catalog is "shit" and no royalty money is coming in?

Awesome logic! I will sleep better tonight. :cool:

I know you just wanted to start a topic on U2 but needed to make it Jovi related to keep it in the general section. Please just say "yes"

Captain_jovi 09-17-2014 03:11 PM

Disagree. If the back catalogue isn't selling (which I don't believe is true) and the new albums aren't selling (which IS true) then there's no money coming in from albums period. They'd have to tour to make large sums of money and the album is slowly becoming something Jon does to give him a reason to tour but it seems more like an commercial.

semigoodlookin 09-17-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1181895)
Disagree. If the back catalogue isn't selling (which I don't believe is true) and the new albums aren't selling (which IS true) then there's no money coming in from albums period. They'd have to tour to make large sums of money and the album is slowly becoming something Jon does to give him a reason to tour but it seems more like an commercial.

No, I don't think any albums are selling, new or old. The part in bold was my point, better put by you it seems.

Rdkopper 09-17-2014 03:18 PM

This has been an ongoing industry issue for years for all veteran artists. This is much bigger than Bon Jovi and there are much worse albums out there.

Bty, Bon Jovi has a solid back catalog so this makes no sense anyway. You don't sell 140M albums if they are shit.

semigoodlookin 09-17-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1181894)
You lost me in the second half of this. Why does Bon Jovi need to do a tour and album? Because their back catalog is "shit" and no royalty money is coming in?

Awesome logic! I will sleep better tonight. :cool:

I know you just wanted to start a topic on U2 but needed to make it Jovi related to keep it in the general section. Please just say "yes"

I have sat here trying to understand why you think I am on a Bon Jovi board, but want to post on U2, so made it Jovi related, but can't work it out.

Bon Jovi's back catalog is not shit, pre-2000 everything was great. It probably sells small numbers though, and I am not sure why you would argue that when you say on other threads that no albums sell anymore. Because of that they will need to do more cycles. I used U2 because there are some actual back catalog sales figures from a band in a similar situation to Bon Jovi.

Captain_jovi 09-17-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1181897)
This has been an ongoing industry issue for years for all veteran artists. This is much bigger than Bon Jovi and there are much worse albums out there.

Bty, Bon Jovi has a solid back catalog so this makes no sense anyway. You don't sell 140M albums if they are shit.

No but the biggest biggest chunk of that 140M was sold when it wasn't back catalogue, it was the newest release. Compare how much Crossroad sold the year it was released versus what's its sold the last ten years. Ditto Crush, ditto any album.

rocknation 09-17-2014 08:59 PM

Giving away an entire new album free in hopes that other people will buy it is dumb (especially in the Internet age). Giving away an entire new album free in hopes that people will buy your older albums is even dumber.

Maybe U2 thought it would work because Beyonce released an online album with NO promotion. It sold a quick three million copies, but the key word there is "sold!"

I think Bon Jovi is doing okay back catalog-wise. I certainly think they're doing better than U2 in terms of bringing in fresh "generations" of new fans. Just yesterday, I read a message from someone who mentioned she hadn't been born when the first BJ album came out. I'm willing to bet she owns at least some of Bon Jovi's back catlog!

Panda 09-17-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknation (Post 1181911)
I think Bon Jovi is doing okay back catalog-wise. I certainly think they're doing better than U2 in terms of bringing in fresh "generations" of new fans. Just yesterday, I read a message from someone who mentioned she hadn't been born when the first BJ album came out. I'm willing to bet she owns at least some of Bon Jovi's back catlog!

Ah, not true.

I know loads of people my age who love U2, but barely know Bon Jovi for Livin' on a Prayer. When I saw U2 live, I was surrounded by people my age. Granted, it was floor with no seats. But I was surprised to see the amount of energy and youth I was surrounded with. Go to a Bon Jovi show, and I see 40 year old soccer moms dragging their husbands along. U2 is doing a much, much better job with the younger generation than Bon Jovi has since the year 2000.

Supersonic 09-17-2014 10:14 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda (Post 1181912)
Ah, not true.

I know loads of people my age who love U2, but barely know Bon Jovi for Livin' on a Prayer. When I saw U2 live, I was surrounded by people my age. Granted, it was floor with no seats. But I was surprised to see the amount of energy and youth I was surrounded with. Go to a Bon Jovi show, and I see 40 year old soccer moms dragging their husbands along. U2 is doing a much, much better job with the younger generation than Bon Jovi has since the year 2000.

Pffft when I was seeing these shows in Canada I was dragging a 16 year old adolescent with me. So annoying! I'd much rather fap to them hot 40 year old soccer moms.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan