Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   It's Hard Letting You Go (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=51236)

Wrath Mania 06-27-2010 11:11 PM

It's Hard Letting You Go

Now granted, they undoubtedly rehearsed it, but this again shows the strange phenomenon of how certain songs Jon remembers the lyrics no problem whereas others he can't remember for the life of him. This is regardless of the time too, in fact it's usually the newer songs like Brokenpromiseland that he sucks on lyrically. Now yeah, I know he was that teleprompter there to cheat, but unless he's taking some really squinty looks through his eyes he don't seem to be using it much on Letting You Go.

Which leads me to my point: Do you think certain songs Jon remembers- and performs better- because they hold a higher or more personal place for him than others? Why did he perfectly remember I Believe last tour or Let It Rock this tour, but had to constantly take looks at his cheat sheet for Brokenpromiseland? If it's because certain songs that are personal for him he remembers better, that also leads me to ask: what is Its Hard Letting You Go about for Jon?

Captain_jovi 06-27-2010 11:21 PM

I love that way of looking at it. He may say it was 16 years since they last did it but it was done once or twice on the Crush tour, and solo by Jon at a fundraiser in 02/03 (Can someone confirm the date? It may have actually been a little later than that), and rehearsed last tour. I firmly believe this is one of those songs that Jon is proud of. I think you got it absolutely right, that's why he knew the words so well.

Goldsausage 06-27-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1001293)
I love that way of looking at it.

Same here, I was expecting yet another Jovi-Bash-Fest but was pleasently surprised.

But to answer the question of the original post, no idea.

luceknight 06-28-2010 12:27 AM

Actually I wish I could know what the entire TD album means to Jon...
and Richie, of course...he wrote the songs too...

its such a melancholic album, the lyrics can hurt you...seriously...and the way Jon sings, his voice, full of passion. The melody doesnt help either...its my ****ing favourite album!

It's hard letting you go, well...I gotta tell you that is one of my least favs of the album, but the lyrics really touch me. Just like My Guitar...

For me, one of the bests, if not the best album in lyrics content.

And looks like they're finding it again ^^ I dont know if...for fans requests or what
but they seem to enjoy a lot performing TD songs. I think this album has a deep meaning for them.

Matrix15 06-28-2010 12:46 AM

Oooh, Can't believe I saw it!!! It was brilliant!

Jons voice really has started recovering...

liljovi93 06-28-2010 12:58 AM

Yeah, I totally agree with everything. I've noticed he isn't looking at the lyrics sheet or the prompter on most of the rare songs. You could be right about all of them points.
Maybe Jon has realised that he had a real passion for some songs back then and actually loves performing them again?

After most of the rare songs they've done, Jon turns around to the band and nods as if to say 'I enjoyed that.'

severo17 06-28-2010 01:04 AM

I actually think that Jon loves the These Days album, but he's just kinda lazy to perform the songs because of the high vocals or just because the album has lot of "dark" content.

Wrath Mania 06-28-2010 01:05 AM

I remember Seb one time speculating that the TD album must have held a lot of personal meaning and vulnerabilities for Jon, because in the WWWB doc Jon mentioned how he hates showing that side of him to the audience. I think that is also good speculation to throw in.

Dawn 06-28-2010 01:07 AM

I think if it has a personal connection with the song then it is easier to remember... who knows he could sing it to dot on a monthly basis...

Could you imagine being able to live with that voice , lucky Dot, its like having a human juke box.. Jon sing this one ...... :D

Dawn

mrleaf 06-28-2010 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn (Post 1001327)
I think if it has a personal connection with the song then it is easier to remember... who knows he could sing it to dot on a monthly basis...

Could you imagine being able to live with that voice , lucky Dot, its like having a human juke box.. Jon sing this one ...... :D

Dawn

Or it could also be "Jon come on youve been singing ...... each time your in the shower how about something different for a change"