Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Would you be OK with Shanks joining the band? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69226)

Walleris 08-30-2015 11:45 AM

Would you be OK with Shanks joining the band?

It may sound crazy, but:
  • He plays all of guitars in Burning Bridges and does a good job in my book
  • He is a better guitar player than Bobby
  • He co-wrote 5 of 11 songs in BB
  • He produced their last 5 studio albums (and 5 out of 12)
  • He already plays with Jon in some non-KOS solo performances

Now I know that's not going to happen, cause he has lots of commitments to produce for other artists, etc., and he probably doesn't want to, but if we can't have Richie, I personally would love if Shanks became a member of the band, given how much he contributed to today's Bon Jovi, for better or worse. Hell, he has more impact on how Bon Jovi sounds that anyone not named Jon Bon Jovi. I love Phil X, but I think I'd rather have Shanks, because it would retain authenticity of the same people performing songs that recorded them: Jon, David, Tico, Hugh, and John; plus obviously have Bobby as a back-up vocalist with guitar in his hands.

What do you guys think of this imaginary scenario?

rolo_tomachi 08-30-2015 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1193560)
It may sound crazy, but:
  • He plays all of guitars in Burning Bridges and does a good job in my book
  • He is a better guitar player than Bobby
  • He co-wrote 5 of 11 songs in BB
  • He produced their last 5 studio albums (and 5 out of 12)
  • He already plays with Jon in some non-KOS solo performances

Now I know that's not going to happen, cause he has lots commitments to produce for other artists, etc., and he probably doesn't want to, but if we can't have Richie, I personally would love if Shanks became a member of the band, given how much he contributed to today's Bon Jovi, for better or worse. Hell, he has more impact on how Bon Jovi sounds that anyone not named Jon Bon Jovi. I love Phil X, but I think I'd rather have Shanks, because it would retain authenticity of the same people performing songs that recorded them: Jon, David, Tico, Hugh, and John; plus obviously have Bobby as a back-up vocalist with guitar in his hands.

What do you guys think of this imaginary scenario?

No way. One thing is to patch Richie in the studio, ok, I can accept Shanks work here, but no touring, friend.

That said, we need drastic changes in the shows. If they are to go as shows 2013, that do not have my money.

crashed 08-30-2015 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1193562)
No way. One thing is to patch Richie in the studio, ok, I can accept Shanks work here, but no touring, friend.

That said, we need drastic changes in the shows. If they are to go as shows 2013, that do not have my money.

Did you go to any shows in 2013 Rolo?

KSantaFe 08-30-2015 01:18 PM

I'd be happy as long as he doesn't become an official member. I think that would be a great injustice to Hugh - 20 years and he still isn't recognised properly in my books.

If he were to tour and record etc. with the rest of the band then that'd be fine by me.

Walleris 08-30-2015 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSantaFe (Post 1193565)
I'd be happy as long as he doesn't become an official member. I think that would be a great injustice to Hugh - 20 years and he still isn't recognised properly in my books.

If he were to tour and record etc. with the rest of the band then that'd be fine by me.

I agree. But what if both them became official members?

Alphavictim 08-30-2015 03:13 PM

Dude makes a ton of money producing and writing records for other artists. Why would he want to join Bon Jovi as a touring musician?

Javier 08-30-2015 03:34 PM

No. He did a great job on Burning Bridges and does a good job when playing acoustic shows with JBJ but leave him as a producer. The authenticity angle you mentioned is why I would prefer if Phil recorded guitar leads on the next album. It probably won't happen since Jon says the record is "just about done, I just need to go back in a tweak it". I just hope part of the "tweaking" is adding some guitars by Phil.....

Becky 08-30-2015 03:39 PM

I don't think anyone will ever be joining as an official member. I also don't think John Shanks has any desire to be a touring artist because he makes quite a living as a songwriter and producer for other artists.

Edit: My vote was Don't Care.

Walleris 08-30-2015 03:45 PM

Guys, let me repeat:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1193560)
Now I know that's not going to happen, cause he has lots of commitments to produce for other artists, etc., and he probably doesn't want to...

Clearly, I'm not asking whether you think that's likely to happen. What I'm interested in is the degree of fans' acceptance, hence the thread's title.

Nige 08-30-2015 03:56 PM

Prior to BB I would have been totally against it.
Post BB I'd be ok with it, but I think Phil fits the bands image a lot better.

Rdkopper 08-30-2015 04:13 PM

I'm surprised John would want to stay with Jon. It's not like they are churning out hit albums and songs. It seems like a lot of people give Shanks a lot blame for the more recent production style on Jovi albums. If I was Shanks, I just don't see the value of sticking around.

I know, money, but as a song-writer / producer he could probably cash in bigger by writing a song for Kelly Clarkson that could actually get some radio air-play.

Now that I look at his credentials, he does have other credits between albums but filling in for Richie would obviously take that away. I don't think any of these albums have been major hits either. I probably should have looked at this list before writing the above. With the exception of Miley Cyrus, Jon might be the second most relevant artist that Shanks has worked with in the past 10 years.

2005: Have a Nice Day by Bon Jovi
2005: Wildflower by Sheryl Crow
2005: I Am Me by Ashlee Simpson
2005: Somebody's Miracle by Liz Phair
2005: Greatest Hits: The Road Less Traveled by Melissa Etheridge (greatest hits)
2005: The Collection by Alanis Morissette (greatest hits)
2005: Pieces of a Dream by Anastacia
2005: The Real Thing by Bo Bice
2006: Fortuneteller's Melody by SHeDAISY
2006: Stand Still, Look Pretty by The Wreckers
2006: Beautiful World by Take That
2007: Taking Chances by Céline Dion
2007: Unbreakable by Backstreet Boys
2007: Greatest Hits by Sara Evans
2007: Lost Highway by Bon Jovi
2007: E˛ by Eros Ramazzotti
2008: Do You Know by Jessica Simpson
2008: The Circus by Take That
2009: Mr. Lucky by Chris Isaak
2009: The Time Of Our Lives by Miley Cyrus
2009: The Circle by Bon Jovi
2009: To Love Again by Alesha Dixon
2010: Fearless Love, by Melissa Etheridge
2010: Can't Be Tamed by Miley Cyrus
2010: Gravity by Westlife
2010: Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove
2011: Untitled second studio album by Diana Vickers
2012: A Different Kind of Truth by Van Halen
2012: Josh Doyle by Josh Doyle
2012: Child of The Universe by Delta Goodrem
2013: What About Now by Bon Jovi
2013: In Spite of Everything by Jeff Campbell
2015: Burning Bridges by Bon Jovi

Becky 08-30-2015 04:42 PM

Fortuneteller's Melody by SHeDAISY is a great CD. It wasn't a big hit, but it did have some songs that charted. Just about anything by Melissa Etheridge is good, but I have no idea if she had any chart success. The Wreckers did pretty well, but they couldn't get along and broke up so they're basically a one-hit-wonder.

rolo_tomachi 08-30-2015 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1193579)
I'm surprised John would want to stay with Jon. It's not like they are churning out hit albums and songs. It seems like a lot of people give Shanks a lot blame for the more recent production style on Jovi albums. If I was Shanks, I just don't see the value of sticking around.

I know, money, but as a song-writer / producer he could probably cash in bigger by writing a song for Kelly Clarkson that could actually get some radio air-play.

Now that I look at his credentials, he does have other credits between albums but filling in for Richie would obviously take that away. I don't think any of these albums have been major hits either. I probably should have looked at this list before writing the above. With the exception of Miley Cyrus, Jon might be the second most relevant artist that Shanks has worked with in the past 10 years.

2005: Have a Nice Day by Bon Jovi
2005: Wildflower by Sheryl Crow
2005: I Am Me by Ashlee Simpson
2005: Somebody's Miracle by Liz Phair
2005: Greatest Hits: The Road Less Traveled by Melissa Etheridge (greatest hits)
2005: The Collection by Alanis Morissette (greatest hits)
2005: Pieces of a Dream by Anastacia
2005: The Real Thing by Bo Bice
2006: Fortuneteller's Melody by SHeDAISY
2006: Stand Still, Look Pretty by The Wreckers
2006: Beautiful World by Take That
2007: Taking Chances by Céline Dion
2007: Unbreakable by Backstreet Boys
2007: Greatest Hits by Sara Evans
2007: Lost Highway by Bon Jovi
2007: E˛ by Eros Ramazzotti
2008: Do You Know by Jessica Simpson
2008: The Circus by Take That
2009: Mr. Lucky by Chris Isaak
2009: The Time Of Our Lives by Miley Cyrus
2009: The Circle by Bon Jovi
2009: To Love Again by Alesha Dixon
2010: Fearless Love, by Melissa Etheridge
2010: Can't Be Tamed by Miley Cyrus
2010: Gravity by Westlife
2010: Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove
2011: Untitled second studio album by Diana Vickers
2012: A Different Kind of Truth by Van Halen
2012: Josh Doyle by Josh Doyle
2012: Child of The Universe by Delta Goodrem
2013: What About Now by Bon Jovi
2013: In Spite of Everything by Jeff Campbell
2015: Burning Bridges by Bon Jovi

This is the problem, John Shanks is about pop, not rock. We need a rock producer.

Brendan O'brien would be my choice.

Rdkopper 08-30-2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1193589)
This is the problem, John Shanks is about pop, not rock. We need a rock producer.

True! Is Brendan Obie's son?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 08-30-2015 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1193590)
True! Is Brendan Obie's son?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

NO.

Brendan O'brien
http://www.sonyinsider.com/wp-conten...010/02/bob.jpg

Brendan O'Brien (born June 23, 1960 in Atlanta, Georgia) is a record producer, mixer, engineer, and musician. He has worked with such artists as Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Bruce Springsteen, Mastodon, AC/DC, Incubus, Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Train, Audioslave, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Kansas, Ernie Dale, Velvet Revolver, The Black Crowes, Aerosmith, Soundgarden, The Offspring, Korn, The Fray, Gaslight Anthem, The Killers, and My Chemical Romance.

To date, fourteen of the albums O'Brien has produced have reached #1 in the U.S. on the Billboard Hot 200 Charts.

Bounce7800 08-30-2015 06:46 PM

Quote:

When will people except that Bon Jovi haven't been a rock band for many years? They are what they are and that's where Jon wants to be.

As for the original question, Shanks in the studio & Phil X on tour why change it? Shanks may be able to create a play some passable to decent solos in the studio but on tour you need those and the classics and Phil is the man for that whilst we are sans Richie.

Walleris 08-30-2015 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1193592)
As for the original question, Shanks in the studio & Phil X on tour why change it? Shanks may be able to create a play some passable to decent solos in the studio but on tour you need those and the classics and Phil is the man for that whilst we are sans Richie.

Well, like I said, the authenticity is important sometimes.

A few years back I saw Roger Waters The Wall show. It was very nice overall, absolutely flawless both musically and visually. However, despite not being a Pink Floyd die-hard or anything, I remember how I couldn't get fully into Comfortably Numb, because it was one guy singing the chorus, another one playing the epic solo; and none of them were David Gilmour.

That's where this idea came to me. Richie can't be replaced, but Shanks is the closest thing that Jon chose as his partner. I imagine some recent songs are as much John's as they're Jon's. Obviously, for Wanted Dead Or Alive, it makes no difference who plays Richie's parts. But the new stuff? I'd take Shanks over Phil, despite the later being technically amazing.

Now if Phil was in studio with Jon making Bon Jovi records, it would be a completely different story. I'd love that, but that's not the case.

rolo_tomachi 08-30-2015 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1193592)
When will people except that Bon Jovi haven't been a rock band for many years? They are what they are and that's where Jon wants to be.

So they need a producer as Brendan... because Jon is very lost. Just another producer would be able to save them from this "nightmare pop", that would be Bob Ezrin, a producer who seeks authenticity and not the fresh and cool sound, but Ezrin is very old.

If Jon wants to kill your brand of a diabetes overdose, so be it.

rocknation 08-30-2015 08:04 PM

After bassist/producer Bob Rock's tenure with Metallica -- no way.

Alphavictim 08-30-2015 09:02 PM

I've never been a huge fan of Brendan O'Brien, and his style is rather 90s alternative. If BJ didn't use him back then, why would they now? Bob Rock is more along the band's lines, and they're obviously not going back to him either.

Also, John Shanks writes a lot of stuff. Brendan O'Brien doesn't.

rolo_tomachi 08-30-2015 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1193603)
I've never been a huge fan of Brendan O'Brien, and his style is rather 90s alternative. If BJ didn't use him back then, why would they now? Bob Rock is more along the band's lines, and they're obviously not going back to him either.

Also, John Shanks writes a lot of stuff. Brendan O'Brien doesn't.

No. Brendan is well suited to bands/artists with their working.

AC/DC
Pearl Jam
Bruce Springsteen

ezearis 08-30-2015 10:02 PM

As an official member: no.

As he being on tour. I could like it, specially if they removed Bobby and added Phil.

The guy pretty much is the new Sambora anyway when it comes to records. He has more voice that any other member that isn't JBJ.

GabrielC 08-30-2015 10:16 PM

Quote:

Van Halen is not Rock enough for you, rolo?

Becky 08-30-2015 10:20 PM

It doesn't matter who Jon got to produce the next album, Rolo's not going to like it no matter what.

Javier 08-30-2015 10:37 PM

If Bon Jovi were to change producers my top 2 choices would be Rob Cavallo or Butch Walker. I could honestly see either of those working really well and pushing Jon into someplace the bands hasn't been creatively. Get the band a bit uncomfortable and out of their element for just a bit and wonders could happen. But back on topic, yes, Phil should be working on the albums. Not in writing or anything but, playing the songs definitely....

rolo_tomachi 08-30-2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabrielC (Post 1193606)
Van Halen is not Rock enough for you, rolo?

A shame that Shanks does not use the same tricks of Van Halen with the new music of Bon Jovi, and instead uses sounds of Miley Cyrus, Ashlee Simpson, Take That and Back Street Boys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1193607)
It doesn't matter who Jon got to produce the next album, Rolo's not going to like it no matter what.

Sure, why will it be? took 10 years with John Shanks, and looks set to stay on board for a long time, It seems for life, and that pisses me off.

Alphavictim 08-30-2015 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1193604)
No. Brendan is well suited to bands/artists with their working.

AC/DC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrFvNphZ5BQ

Pearl Jam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd7huaytsRI

Bruce Springsteen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtrOYsNCPmg

Which one of these sound like BJ?

rolo_tomachi 08-30-2015 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1193611)
Which one of these sound like BJ?

These sound like themselves, and you can hear all the instruments without adding samples and effects to the mix. ;)

Becky 08-30-2015 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1193610)
Sure, why will it be? took 10 years with John Shanks, and looks set to stay on board for a long time, It seems for life, and that pisses me off.

Why does it piss you off? And if it does piss you off, and you already know you won't like the next album, why are you still following Bon Jovi? There are at least 10,000 other bands you could be listening to that won't piss you off.

rolo_tomachi 08-30-2015 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1193614)
Why does it piss you off? And if it does piss you off, and you already know you won't like the next album, why are you still following Bon Jovi? There are at least 10,000 other bands you could be listening to that won't piss you off.

Because I'm a fan of Bon Jovi, and always give a chance to the new music, but there are things I do not like in the last years. One, is the musical direction and Two, the production of albums.

Alphavictim 08-30-2015 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1193613)
These sound like themselves, and you can hear all the instruments without adding samples and effects to the mix. ;)

If you hear samples, it's because Jon wanted them. Luke Ebbin (you know, the guy who produced Richie's last solo album) specifically said he was hired because he was good at pimping up arrangements that way. It's not the producer who determines the sound his client demands.

Bounce7800 08-30-2015 11:34 PM

Quote:

A shame that Shanks does not use the same tricks of Van Halen with the new music of Bon Jovi, and instead uses sounds of Miley Cyrus, Ashlee Simpson, Take That and Back Street Boys.

Well I think that shows you that it's not that shanks is unable it's that Jon wants it that way.

Walleris 08-30-2015 11:38 PM

Quote:

So that means he has to be replaced by another producer who would make similar tricks by Jon's request, correct?

Your logic is only matched by your English.

Captain_jovi 08-30-2015 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1193617)
If you hear samples, it's because Jon wanted them. Luke Ebbin (you know, the guy who produced Richie's last solo album) specifically said he was hired because he was good at pimping up arrangements that way. It's not the producer who determines the sound his client demands.

A million high fives for this. The band sounds like the band sounds because THATS HOW JON WANTS IT TO SOUND.

rolo_tomachi 08-31-2015 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1193617)

Yeah, so I've also said that .... I'm a fan of Bon Jovi, and always give a chance to the new music, but there are things I do not like in the last years. One, is the musical direction (Jon Bon Jovi wants so) and Two, the production of albums (Shanks and similars producers as Luke Ebbin).

Also, I don't like Luke Ebbin work. Aftermath could have been a better album in other hands.

To deny that is absurd.... and keep doing the same with some new sounds is boring.

angelsambo 08-31-2015 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1193609)
If Bon Jovi were to change producers my top 2 choices would be Rob Cavallo or Butch Walker....

Kevin Shirley is also great and would be my first choice

ezearis 08-31-2015 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1193609)
If Bon Jovi were to change producers my top 2 choices would be Rob Cavallo or Butch Walker.

I think Mutt Lange and Howard Benson could be, at least, interesting for a rock record. I liked the songs that Dann Huff produced on Lost Highway, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1193627)
Kevin Shirley is also great and would be my first choice

He is great, indeed. Revelation by Journey is a great album.

ezearis 08-31-2015 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1193607)

He'll like it but he'll wonder why Beautiful Day wasn't on it.

Adam D 08-31-2015 04:05 AM

If my memory serves, Kevin Shirley produced Mr. Big Time and Howard Benson produced What Have You Got. Shanks must have been busy at that time.

Captain_jovi 08-31-2015 04:31 AM

Close!

Mister Big Time
Engineer – Obie O'Brien
Mixed By – Kevin Shirley
Producer – Aldo Nova, Jon Bon Jovi, Stephen Lironi

I was very surprised Stephen Lironi co-produced it. Great raw sound though.