Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Bon Jovi B-Sides

General BJ Discussion

Old 07-31-2015, 09:48 PM
Jovi Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
I wish fans like you would realize that fans like us are in the minority when it comes to people that go to concerts.
No shit Sherlock. That's not the point. I've been to a lot of concerts and followed this band for a long time, though I don't post here much. Don't condescend to me.

Let's be honest, casual fans only want to hear Wanted, Bad Name, Livin' On A Prayer, the ballads and It's My Life. Everything else is filler to the casual fan, even singles from new albums. Like Sebastiaan said, then why not include a little bit of everything in that 'filler'? It's how they present it, example, where they place it in the set list. Take 'Fear' from Keep The Faith album. I personally love that song, but most people in the crowd wouldn't know it. So place it between a few more well known songs and whatever vibe was 'killed', they gain right back, while in the mean time pleasing the die hards. They could do that a few times in the set list, and everyone is happy.

It can be done, but only when they finally get away from the safe set lists.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:44 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco View Post
No shit Sherlock. That's not the point. I've been to a lot of concerts and followed this band for a long time, though I don't post here much. Don't condescend to me.

Let's be honest, casual fans only want to hear Wanted, Bad Name, Livin' On A Prayer, the ballads and It's My Life. Everything else is filler to the casual fan, even singles from new albums. Like Sebastiaan said, then why not include a little bit of everything in that 'filler'? It's how they present it, example, where they place it in the set list. Take 'Fear' from Keep The Faith album. I personally love that song, but most people in the crowd wouldn't know it. So place it between a few more well known songs and whatever vibe was 'killed', they gain right back, while in the mean time pleasing the die hards. They could do that a few times in the set list, and everyone is happy.

It can be done, but only when they finally get away from the safe set lists.
In the end, it comes down to having the balls to play it and laziness. Jon, most of the times, doesn't have the balls and/or is lazy. He's stated many times that he doesn't like to rehearse.

Remember back in TC Tour when they closed with Love's the Only Rule and it worked perfectly even though nobody besides us knew the song ? That's because Jon worked his ass off to sell that song to the audience.

If you go to a Paul McCartney concert, you'll get 10 songs that, if you're not a Beatles or Paul's diehard fan, you'll have no idea what's being played. Still, he plays it along with the hits and everybody's happy.

The majority of the audience doesn't know songs like Wild is The Wind and Undivided the same way they don't know Whole Lot of Leaving and Captain Crash. Yet, they get played every night. So, as recently, I think it more about laziness.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige

I personally don't get the love for DLS - for me it's nice to hear but I'm glad it was a bonus track.

Totally agree about them having some great b-sides though; especially the Bounce one which in many cases are better than the tracks that made the album. I absolutely love Postcards From The Wastelands, We Can Dance and Another Reason To Believe.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:57 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix15 View Post
Out of bounds anyone?!
Don't rate it at all....it deserved it's place on the boxset IMO.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Jovi Fan

Just checked the BMI songs database again.

There are so many unknown titles of Bon Jovi songs or written by Jon and Billy Falcon. Some of them are in the ASCAP database as well. Some not.

By the way, Billy Falcon co-authored a song called "I'm your man".

I guess some of these are WAN outtakes.

Closing Time
http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?...erytype=WorkID

Hard to Make a Living

Hurt You Like That

Life Is Too Short

Little Faith

Live Forever

Recording Studio

Road To Regret

Saving Grace

Lovin' You's The Last Thing (written by Child and Falcon for Bon Jovi?)

Last edited by newikov; 08-03-2015 at 11:38 AM..
Old 08-03-2015, 01:11 PM
Born to be my Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvi View Post
Stay would've been massive IMO. Especially as a follow up after It's My Life. Having said that I do like TYFLM.

Their mistakes go as far as the 80s...

Backdoor to Heaven

THIS!! I still haven't figured it out why Backdoor To Heaven didn't make it on New Jersey. That song is filled with so much passion, it's one of the best vocal performances that Jon ever did IMO and Richie's backing vocals blend in perfectly, not to mention that high pitched guitar from beggining and after the last chorus..man oh man.. that guitar is screaming with passion and manages to give me an eargasm every freaking time.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Posting everyday

On a sidenote: Did anyone ever compile a list of all the B-sides / Outtakes that we've gotten hold of from Bon Jovi during their career?
A friend asked me about such a list and I never made one. Before I sit down and try to figure it out I was hoping someone might have something like this
Old 08-03-2015, 01:59 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_Roli View Post
THIS!! I still haven't figured it out why Backdoor To Heaven didn't make it on New Jersey. That song is filled with so much passion, it's one of the best vocal performances that Jon ever did IMO and Richie's backing vocals blend in perfectly, not to mention that high pitched guitar from beggining and after the last chorus..man oh man.. that guitar is screaming with passion and manages to give me an eargasm every freaking time.
Hmmm... probably because a double entendre song like this one would have earned them a "parental advisory" sticker on the sleeve (did it exist back then?), tv/radio ban and the alienation of their youngest fanbase.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:22 PM
Born to be my Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Joysey View Post
Hmmm... probably because a double entendre song like this one would have earned them a "parental advisory" sticker on the sleeve (did it exist back then?), tv/radio ban and the alienation of their youngest fanbase.
LOL, I never thought of it that way until now. So that high pitched guitar is supposed to be a girls scream when she's letting someone through her backdoor?
I hope i won't get reported for this.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_Roli View Post
LOL, I never thought of it that way until now. So that high pitched guitar is supposed to be a girls scream when she's letting someone through her backdoor?
I hope i won't get reported for this.
I'm glad it's not just me who just assumed the song was a long ode to bumming!
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*