Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

New Richie Sideshow announced in Melbourne!

Tour Discussion

Old 03-02-2014, 01:04 AM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlookin View Post
I like how Aftermath is slowly becoming a guitar driven album to some. Richie even thought it was, which to me tells me everything. He is not in the zone in a recording aspect for guitar playing, it has been drastically bad on Bon Jovi albums and Jon shouldered the blame. However, Aftermath highlights Richieīs poor guitar work more than anything Bon Jovi has done recently, simply because he was touting it has having extended solos and jamming, which lets be honest it has neither of. By the way, the end of Seven Years is not an extended solo in the slightest.

Perhaps he is getting back into the guitar player way of thinking, this mini tour of his has certainly had a ton of guitar, extended solos, and jamming, even if it has been sloppy. The reason the guitars were poor on recent Bon Jovi records was because Richie was not bringing his game. Why would Jon not include something special that had been laid down by Richie in the studio. Yeah, bin the phenomenal solo because Fast Cars is just perfect on its own.

If Jon was outright stopping him flourishing in the studio, why is Aftermath so bland from a guitarists point of view? Stranger had some magical guitar parts, and so did Undiscovered Soul in its own way, but there is nothing special on Aftermath. We were treated to the same licks endlessly though, or at least the same rehashed ideas, even on the gold standard Seven Years Gone By.

For what itīs worth, I like Aftermath, didnīt love it, but would trade over WAN easily.

Perhaps Richieīs creative process was hampered in the songwriting and not guitar. Perhaps he wanted to go deeper than some of the songs he wrote on, but followed Jonīs vision and wrote what he had to so to speak. Maybe he got tired of that, but certainly not is guitar input.
To be fair, Burn the candle down, Learning how to fly with a broken wing and Seven years gone have two decent length solos of the shredding variety each which is almost unheard of for a Bon Jovi track. One of the those songs alone has more guitar work on it than the entire WAN and Circle albums combined.
And live, these tracks definitely have the jamming feel that Richie eluded to.
Even Sugar daddy has some fun guitar stuff on it, so there's 4 decent guitar tracks of Aftermath.

Whereas look at something like ''Happy Now' of The Circle - there's that brief instant where you think there's going to be this huge guitar solo ripping in, and before you even know it, it's over. I almost laughed out loud first time I heard that. Same with the ''GEET-TAR!!1!'' in Born to follow, the first version - before all the fans called the band out on how shit the guitar 'solo' was.

So yeah, I believe of course Richie is in some way told what part he is to play/add to Jon's vision of a particular song. Especially with regards to last few albums and especially WAN - i can only think one song with any memorable guitar in it (I'm With you) and one other with some good work (Army of One).

This is studio work I'm talking about, his live stuff is another discussion - yes, he can be sloppy/unimaginative sometimes, but there have been flashes of brilliance. He's just not consistent anymore.

Andi
That you are all you really need
JBJ - I believe

"Sambora's face is a mask of joyous disbelief, as if previously unaware of his ability to play the instrument at all. Reaching the last fistful of notes, he does a fair impression of a man who is actually ejaculating into his jet black flares."
. . . Ben Mitchell, Q Magazine

Old 03-04-2014, 03:37 PM
Price of posting

Purple Rain (Multi-cam mix HD) Magic!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Livin' on a Post

Who's that on vocals guys?

Edit: ok nevermind, I saw his name in Rolo's post - Corey Glover, from Living Colours.

Last edited by NicoRourke; 03-04-2014 at 08:36 PM..
Old 03-05-2014, 05:35 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
Purple Rain (Multi-cam mix HD) Magic!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-ev6KGDPx0
That was awesome. Thanks for posting. Cool to see Corey Glover again. Living Colour....I remember them...good band from 'back in the day'.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill23 View Post
That was awesome. Thanks for posting. Cool to see Corey Glover again. Living Colour....I remember them...good band from 'back in the day'.
Why is it Orianthi so much louder in the mix than Richie?!? That is odd...
Old 03-05-2014, 07:54 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
Why is it Orianthi so much louder in the mix than Richie?!? That is odd...
It's not that odd, considering the audio source is probably taped on Orianthi's side.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry View Post
It's not that odd, considering the audio source is probably taped on Orianthi's side.
What do you mean specifically? Do you think Orianthi's monitors are on one side of the stage and Richie's on the other? Surely that would be a little odd?
Old 03-06-2014, 08:35 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
What do you mean specifically? Do you think Orianthi's monitors are on one side of the stage and Richie's on the other? Surely that would be a little odd?
Thierry can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he meant her guitar is panned a bit more to either side in the mix. Don't know if that's common with pros, but when I mix two guitar bands, I pan one a little bit left and the other a little bit right.
But to answer your question above, her monitor mix is for sure different than Richie's.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:53 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampinen View Post
Thierry can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he meant her guitar is panned a bit more to either side in the mix. Don't know if that's common with pros, but when I mix two guitar bands, I pan one a little bit left and the other a little bit right.
But to answer your question above, her monitor mix is for sure different than Richie's.
Yep that's what I meant, thanks Lampmaestro!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Blaze of Posting

Purple Rain with Mr. Glover is not on YouTube or anywhere anymore...anyone care to re-upload?Pretty please?