Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Bon Jovi at Live in MetLife Stadium back in '13 is actually quite good !

General BJ Discussion

Old 09-20-2014, 06:54 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

just compared the two versions of Always. Man, did they REALLY think no one would notice ? shame on you Jon. I've been saying this for a long time: he should consider playing another half step down, at least on certain songs. I don't wanna go into that old discussion again but you can't really fight age, it doesn't matter if you're to blame for all the things you've done in the past that have harmed your voice - it is what it is and you might as well find ways around it, not cover it up.

Lisbon 2008; Lisbon 2011

Old 09-20-2014, 04:44 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwehehehe View Post
These Days MetLife 2013 (audience recording):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mSoHzIfqww

While Jon sounded decent in the recording, his voice in the live stream is too high (2008-10 level) . With that level, he should be moving around the stage instead of just standing in front of the mic stand.
Wow, definitely doctored. His voice is shite in the audience recording but suddenly tone perfect in the officially released one. I feel actually that my intelligence has been insulted by this. Not that I have a lot to begin with - but why's he trying to blag it?
Old 09-20-2014, 04:59 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseDaysEra View Post
just compared the two versions of Always. Man, did they REALLY think no one would notice ? shame on you Jon. I've been saying this for a long time: he should consider playing another half step down, at least on certain songs. .
Well, for one, you didn't seem to notice when listening to the show, saying his vocals were top notch...

And many people have pointed out over and over again that you can't just keep going steps down time after time. Put a song in another key and it sounds different, with In These Arms being a good example of it. And that's one of the songs that isn't build around a riff or lick.

Tuning a song down for Jon won't help much anyway, he suffers with any note nowadays. It's not just the higher notes, it's pretty much every note. His voice is shot.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 09-20-2014, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

Forgive my lack of musical knowledge but I'm sure someone previously had posted snippets of studio songs that had been downtuned half a step/a key whatever, and they sounded slower and quite similar to the live versions, looking like they record that way and then bump it back up in the studio?

Would anyone be able to post some the songs down another step in this case to hear how bad this would sound like? Is that possible?
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Old 09-20-2014, 05:49 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce7800 View Post
Forgive my lack of musical knowledge but I'm sure someone previously had posted snippets of studio songs that had been downtuned half a step/a key whatever, and they sounded slower and quite similar to the live versions, looking like they record that way and then bump it back up in the studio?

Would anyone be able to post some the songs down another step in this case to hear how bad this would sound like? Is that possible?
Yeah, that was me. I can post you examples, but it's not the same, really. For example, if you tune a song in the key of C it'd go to a B. However, a B chord doesn't sound the same as a C chord tuned half a step down.

Therefore, tuning a song a full step down won't give the same effect as actually tuning instruments a full step down. Chords have a certain feel, warmth or cold feeling over them. Playing on a guitar tuned a full step down can be done, but for me personally, it gets borderline unplayable if you want to play songs like These Days and just strum away. Guitar strings give a certain sound under a certain tension. Tuning down means loosening up the tension. If you don't have enough tension, you can't play. So instead of just tuning down, you change the chords and start, in case of These Days, in Bb as opposed to C. These Days usually goes C-D-Em, meaning this would become Bb-C-Dm. It's a different world.

Songs build around a riff however like Bad Medicine, Born To Be My Baby, Bad Name, have riffs played in certain positions of the neck. Bad Name, for example, has a riff or lick played on the 1st and 3rd fret of the neck. Considering how you're not tuning down a full step, you just go down a full step. But going from the first fret a full step down would mean -0, which doesn't exist. You'd have to completely redo a riff on different strings, which makes the riff and lick lose it's touch.

A good example of this is In These Arms. The original version is in E. It sounds heavy, because overall, an E chord is the lowest sounding chord on a guitar. They play it in D nowadays, meaning a full step down. However, a D chord sounds higher, meaning poppier (For the lack of a better word) and not as heavy, hence In These Arms no longer sounding like the rocker it used to be.

I apologize if this isn't very clear, I rarely explain anything guitar related in English so maybe if things aren't clear Iceman could help you out.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 09-20-2014, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

Sounds fair enough albeit way over my head! One day I'll have the time to dig my guitar out and start learning so I know what the hell is going on!
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Old 09-20-2014, 07:15 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
I apologize if this isn't very clear, I rarely explain anything guitar related in English so maybe if things aren't clear Iceman could help you out.
Concerning the language I understood what you're saying, so that shouldn't be the problem.
Concerning the content...well, I'm a guitarist, so I already knew what you meant before you wrote it down
And by the way: I agree with you!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Undiscovered Posts

great song, love jovi.