Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

2014: 30th anniversary reissue campaign - what happened?

General BJ Discussion

Old 05-13-2016, 09:10 PM
Livin' on a Post

Default 2014: 30th anniversary reissue campaign - what happened?

Search didnt give me anything....so as we all know back in 2014:

"Bon Jovi are working on an extensive 30th anniversary reissue campaign programme which launches this July when their 1988 album New Jersey is re-released across two different physical formats, including a 2CD+DVD ‘super deluxe’ set."

&

"More 30th anniversary commemorative titles, including newly-compiled collections of studio and live recordings, will also be released this year. Until then, these deluxe editions of New Jersey are out on 1 July 2014."

I guess New Jersey didnt sell enough -> Jon didnt see potential -> all the other releases were shelved. Had they done NJ right, there could've been more interest from the buyers...but it was LAME...no new stuff, no diggin the vaults for live concerts...

My question is: was there ever any statement from the band / record comapny / Obie / anyone on what happened?

Old 05-13-2016, 09:24 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuli View Post
Search didnt give me anything....so as we all know back in 2014:

"Bon Jovi are working on an extensive 30th anniversary reissue campaign programme which launches this July when their 1988 album New Jersey is re-released across two different physical formats, including a 2CD+DVD ‘super deluxe’ set."

&

"More 30th anniversary commemorative titles, including newly-compiled collections of studio and live recordings, will also be released this year. Until then, these deluxe editions of New Jersey are out on 1 July 2014."

I guess New Jersey didnt sell enough -> Jon didnt see potential -> all the other releases were shelved. Had they done NJ right, there could've been more interest from the buyers...but it was LAME...no new stuff, no diggin the vaults for live concerts...

My question is: was there ever any statement from the band / record comapny / Obie / anyone on what happened?
Nothing official was ever said but low sales are the obvious culprit. I don't knock them for putting out the stuff we already had, it's not like we should have had it in the first place. They cleaned it up really nicely. It's possible the vaults are just a little emptier when you consider the box set and the stuff that's leaked.

I WILL say they dropped the ball promoting it, especially since it happened without Richie's involvement.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:33 PM
The Distance

I still think that they have a ton of stuff in those vaults (or now on Jon's computer)... We haven't had many unreleased tracks since HAND... And I still think they have a bunch of stuff from the 80's... I would so love to get those Slippery Demos in better quality... Then we have titles from Sex Sells that we've never heard.

I think collectively, there is enough material for another 4 disc box set at the very least..
Old 05-13-2016, 11:53 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
I still think that they have a ton of stuff in those vaults (or now on Jon's computer)... We haven't had many unreleased tracks since HAND... And I still think they have a bunch of stuff from the 80's... I would so love to get those Slippery Demos in better quality... Then we have titles from Sex Sells that we've never heard.

I think collectively, there is enough material for another 4 disc box set at the very least..
I agree. It sucks that the first one they did was NJ, an album where everything on it was in the diehards hands already. If future editions were banking on that one to succeed, it's a tall order. The content is what the die hards have, it wasn't promoted enough to appeal to the casuals and the fans who just know a few hits have no need for it.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:29 AM
Born to be my Baby

I think that they still have a lot of stuff in the vault. You have the whole Sex Sells album that wasn't released, we know that there are a lot more NJ demos but they probably never made it that far and they don't have the recordings anymore, we also have the SWW outtakes, KTF also had a few tracks we never heard like Skin Deep and All Wound Up + Diamond Ring which I guess is a different take than on TD and NJ. And there are also some outtakes from The Circle and from WAN.

Plus you never know how many outtakes there are that were never mentioned anywhere, I mean who the hell knew about Blind Love and SNGMSM?

Anyway I consider that Jon doesn't really give a crap about die hard fans, the guy has so much money that he could easily pay Obbie or someone else to collect these demoes and remaster them and make another AXP program or something similar.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:40 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_Roli View Post
I think that they still have a lot of stuff in the vault. You have the whole Sex Sells album that wasn't released, we know that there are a lot more NJ demos but they probably never made it that far and they don't have the recordings anymore, we also have the SWW outtakes, KTF also had a few tracks we never heard like Skin Deep and All Wound Up + Diamond Ring which I guess is a different take than on TD and NJ. And there are also some outtakes from The Circle and from WAN.

Plus you never know how many outtakes there are that were never mentioned anywhere, I mean who the hell knew about Blind Love and SNGMSM?

Anyway I consider that Jon doesn't really give a crap about die hard fans, the guy has so much money that he could easily pay Obbie or someone else to collect these demoes and remaster them and make another AXP program or something similar.
You can't really say that Jon and / or Obie don't give a crap. Jon doesn't release his music, his record company does. I truly believe they had every intention to release more music but the lack of the NJ sales ruined that. Captain Jovi is right in terms off, that release wasn't promoted right nor did it really cater to anyone. IMO a few more never heard titles or additional footage from Access could have really sparked more interest with that project. In addition, with Richie leaving, there was no good way to promote it.

TBH we really don't know if there are a lot more NJ demos left. In America, Rosie, & maybe That's What You Get For Falling In Love (if it even made it out of the notebook). Cadillac Man & We All Sleep Alone were play at Hammersmith but really aren't technically from "New Jersey". We don't really know if Fighter For Love was demoed either.

There are still a handful of titles left from Sex Sells that I'd love to hear... Sex Sells, Someday You'll Ride Wild Horses, Life's Too Short, Even Bad Times Are Good Times, Even In Your Imagination, Good Ain't Good Enough, Forbidden Love, All In The Name Of Love (DA)

Crying and Mona Lisa from Bounce

We should collectively compile a list of know titles. There are a few out there but they are all a little dated.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:05 AM
Livin' on a Post

What's strange is that they rather "hide" the original dates for demos and live tracks....The box set should've had precise info on when the tracks were recorded. Okay there are interviews & speculations but I'd prefer straight facts.

During the 80s & 90s they did include at least place & year for live tracks but it really bugs me those 2010 re-masters dont have precise info on the dates....I guess they might have mixed several versions together + done maybe editing and/or re-recording (bass tracks, anyone?) but still they could've had included some info...

...which got me thinking....should do a comparison on Cincinnati '87 bootleg tracks against official releases and check if the bass tracks are identical....

BTW they really did mix those "sons of beaches" demos..some of Bryan's tasty hammond in the beginning of Homebound Train is barely audible on the official release...so on some of those tracks I prefer raw bootleg versions. "House Of Fire" was a real surprise....I guess they were really chasing for hit songs at that time...
Old 05-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuli View Post
What's strange is that they rather "hide" the original dates for demos and live tracks....The box set should've had precise info on when the tracks were recorded. Okay there are interviews & speculations but I'd prefer straight facts.
That's what bonjovi.com posted in 2005:

BOX SET SONG HISTORIES
(Friday, March 18, 2005)

Below is a breakdown of the when and where the songs from the 100,000,000 BON JOVI FANS CAN'T BE WRONG... box set originated. This is not scripture - it took some work culling this info from the archives (even on the box set DVD vs. the box set booklet you might find contradictions -- the truth is, 20 years of tapes unearthed with less than stellar labelling!):

DISC ONE:
1) WHY AREN'T YOU DEAD? (Unreleased demo circa 1994.) Recorded in NJ.
2) THE RADIO SAVED MY LIFE TONIGHT (Unreleased demo circa 1992.) Recorded in Vancouver and New Jersey. Vocals were, indeed, done while JBJ had a head cold.
3) TAKING IT BACK (Unreleased demo circa 1992.) Recorded in New Jersey.
4) SOMEDAY I'LL BE SATURDAY NIGHT (Unreleased demo of song that continued to be worked on until the version most are familiar with appeared on the 1994 Cross Road album.) Written in the islands, this was recorded in New Jersey in 1994.
5) MISS FOURTH OF JULY (Unreleased demo circa 1992.) Recorded up in Vancouver and back in New Jersey.
6) OPEN ALL NIGHT (Unreleased demo circa 1994.) Recorded in New Jersey.
7) THESE ARMS ARE OPEN ALL NIGHT (Unreleased demo circa 1998 recorded with the Big Dogs in New Jersey.)
I GET A RUSH (Unreleased demo circa 1996.) Recorded in New Jersey.
9) SOMEDAY JUST MIGHT BE TONIGHT (Unreleased demo circa 1996.) Recorded in New Jersey.
10) THIEF OF HEARTS (Final Studio Track from 2003.) Recorded at Sanctuary Sound II in New Jersey for intended inclusion in This Left Feels Right cd.
11) LAST MAN STANDING (Final Studio Track from 2003.) Recorded at Sanctuary Sound II in New Jersey for inteded inclusion in This Left Feels Right cd. (Band has recorded a much different version of this song for planned inclusion in forthcoming studio album.)
12) I JUST WANT TO BE YOUR MAN (Unreleased demo from 1994.) Recorded in New Jersey.

DISC TWO:
1) GARAGELAND (Unreleased demo from 1999.) Recorded in New Jersey.
2) STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN (Remixed for the box set; original demo released as a b-side from the 1992 Keep The Faith album.) Recorded in Vancouver and New Jersey.
3) MAYBE SOMEDAY (Unreleased demo from 1999.) Recorded in New Jersey.
4) LAST CAHNCE TRAIN (Unreleased demo from circa 1998.) Recorded in Los Angeles with Aerosmith's Joe Perry on guitar.
5) THE FIRE INSIDE (Unreleased demo circa 1994.) Recorded in New Jersey.
6) EVERY BEAT OF MY HEART (Unreleased demo circa 1992.) Recorded in New Jersey.
7) RICH MAN LIVING IN A POOR MAN'S HOUSE (Unreleased demo from 1998.) Recorded in New Jersey and Los Angeles with Dave Stewart.
THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY (Unreleased demo from 1999.) Recorded in New Jersey.
9) YOU CAN SLEEP WHILE I DREAM (Unreleased demo circa 1999.) Recorded in New Jersey.
10) OUTLAWS OF LOVE (Unreleased demo from 1992.) Recorded in New Jersey.
11) GOOD GUYS DON'T ALWAYS WEAR WHITE (movie soundtrack song from 'The Cowboy Way' in 1994.) Recorded in Los Angeles; video shot in NYC.
12) WE RULE THE NIGHT (Unreleased demo from 1985.) Recorded in New Jersey and Philly.

DISC THREE:
1) EDGE OF A BROKEN HEART (the sorely-missed Slippery When Wet song not included on the 1986 breakthru album.) Recorded up in Vancouver.
2) SYMPATHY (Unreleased demo from 1992.) Recorded in New Jersey.
3) ONLY IN MY DREAMS (Unreleased demo from 1994.) Recorded in New Jersey. A version with Jon on vocals was captured but the one with Tico's vocals was included on the box set.
4) SHUT UP AND KISS ME (Unreleased demo from 1997.) Recorded in New Jersey with the Big Dogs.
5) CRAZY LOVE (Unreleased demo from 1998.) Recorded in Los Angeles and New Jersey.
6) LONELY AT THE TOP (Previously released b-side from the 1995 These Days project.) Recorded in New Jersey however, remixed for inclusion in the box set and cello parts were added by Garo Yellin for a more meloncholy feel.
7) ORDINARY PEOPLE (Previously released b-side from 2000's CRUSH album.) Recorded in New Jersey.
FLESH AND BONE (Unreleased demo from 1994.) Recorded in New Jersey.
9) SATELLITE (Unreleased demo from 1999.) Recorded in New Jersey.
10) IF I CAN'T HAVE YOUR LOVE (Richie solo demo circa 1991.) Recorded in Vancouver featuring David Bryan on keyboards.
11) REAL LIFE (Movie soundtrack from 1999's EDTV.) Recorded in New York City (at Avatar Studios, which had originally been the Power Station where Jon Bon Jovi had started his music career as a gofer) and New Jersey. It was remixed for inclusion in the box set.
12) MEMPHIS LIVES IN ME (Original composition for the musical 'MEMPHIS' co-written by David Bryan, written in 2003.) This studio recording was done in New Jersey specifically for inclusion in the box set.
13) TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING
(Unreleased demo from 1999 prior to CRUSH album.) Recorded in New Jersey.

DISC FOUR:
1) LOVE AIN'T NOTHING BUT A FOUR LETTER WORD (Unreleased studio recording from 1992.) This was recorded up in Vancouver and New Jersey, and is much more fleshed out than the original demo version.
2) LOVE AIN'T NOTHING BUT A FOUR LETTER WORD (Original demo from 1992.) This is the first version fo the song as written by Jon Bon Jovi and recorded in New Jersey, prior to taking it further and fleshing it out.
3) RIVER RUNS DRY (Unreleased demo from 1996.) Recorded in New Jersey.
4) ALWAYS (Original demo from 1994.) Recorded in the UK.
5) KIDNAP AN ANGEL (Unreleased demo from 1999.) Recorded in New Jersey.
6) BREATHE (B-Side internationally and Target CD.)- released in 2003; written and recorded 2001/2002 in New Jersey.
7) OUT OF BOUNDS (Unreleased demo from 1986.) Recorded in New Jersey.
LETTER TO A FRIEND (Unreleased demo from 1994.) Recorded in New Jersey.
9) TEMPTATION (Int'l b-side from CRUSH album in 2000.) Recorded in New Jersey.
10) GOTTA HAVE A REASON (Unreleased demo written on spec for a movie sountrack in 1993.) Recorded in New Jersey and Singapore (as documented in the video footage on the box set dvd.)
11) ALL I WANNA DO IS YOU (Unreleased demo from 1997.) Recorded in New Jersey.
12) BILLY (unreleased demo from 1992.) Recorded in New Jersey.
13) NOBODY'S HERO (Unreleased demo from 1994.) Recorded in New Jersey.
14) *Hidden Bonus Track: LIVIN' ON A PRAYER (Original demo of Livin' On A Prayer from 1986... definitely written and recorded in New Jersey!)

Last edited by Faceman; 05-14-2016 at 11:41 AM..
Old 05-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Price of posting

The great mistake of release New Jersey Deluxe Edition, was that in 2010 launch all albums special edition.

Many fans have repeated the same albums because of special editions with extra content. When there was not much piracy, this worked, but today, it is a grave error.

These things only bought by fans, not casual, and you are tired of having the fourth time an edition of New Jersey. It would have been a better choice to make a new box set or a double album with 30 new songs for its 30th anniversary. A lot of Fans had wanted to buy that box set, you could have included two DVDs, Access all Areas and Evening with BJ.

I think the Box set will be delayed until 2024. shame. The songs live special editions of 2010 was also poor.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:56 AM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
That's what bonjovi.com posted in 2005:

BOX SET SONG HISTORIES
(Friday, March 18, 2005)

Below is a breakdown of the when and where the songs f....
THANK YOU! Didnt know this existed! So this comes from an official source, right?

EDIT: bonjovi.com is official of course but I was wondering who did provide the list?