Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Name any other band that plays songs fans don't want.

General BJ Discussion

Old 04-29-2005, 06:45 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic
Default Name any other band that plays songs fans don't want.

Aloha !

I was thinking about this when checking setlists for other bands and realised that none of those bands I looked at play songs fans don't want. When it comes to Bon Jovi they're sort off missing the interaction with what fans would like. Every setlist Bon Jovi has on a any night contains one or two songs fans absolutely don't want to hear when visiting a concert. I'm thinking about playing Mystery Train, Say It Isn't So, Misunderstood, Capt. Crash, those sort of songs.

Please don't come up with "I like Mystery Train, or I like Misunderstood" because it's obvious that almost everyone fan thinks that those songs are the worst songs Bon Jovi has made since 2000. I'm saying almost everyone, as I like Mystery Train. Please don't let this topic become an "I like Mystery Train too!" thing.

But what's the use in playing songs no one wants? I really can't think of any band playing songs the crowd doesn't like except for Bon Jovi.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Old 04-29-2005, 07:18 PM
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen
I was watching the setlist show up last night for Bruce's first rehersal in Asbury Park and all the die hard Bruce fans sounded just like us. "Oh - he'll probably pay the same old sh!t just as he always does" many of them said.

Bruce Springsteen it seems.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Posting Always

Stupid question.
All bands will play their 'hits' and there are always going to be fans that don't neccessarily like those songs, so it's always gonna happen.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Dry County

There are 3000+ users on JT. That's only 10% of the crowd in a stadium. So speaking of everybody and nobody is speaking for 90%+ you don't even know. They play those songs because they like it. Misunderstood was a single so that one has to be promoted. Mystery Train is a nice song but wasn't played that often. Bon Jovi has to make a setlist for an entire crowd, not just the so called die hard fans over here, backstage, bj.com etc.. Still beats most other artists who play the same set every night and change one or 2 songs. BJ sets are above average diverse.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
There are 3000+ users on JT. That's only 10% of the crowd in a stadium. So speaking of everybody and nobody is speaking for 90%+ you don't even know. They play those songs because they like it. Misunderstood was a single so that one has to be promoted. Mystery Train is a nice song but wasn't played that often. Bon Jovi has to make a setlist for an entire crowd, not just the so called die hard fans over here, backstage, bj.com etc.. Still beats most other artists who play the same set every night and change one or 2 songs. BJ sets are above average diverse.
Yes, that's true. For example Sonata Arctica plays the same set every ****!ng night. Maybe changing song or two every now and then.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:01 PM
Jovi FANatic

U2 fans were having a fit when the saw the first setlists on the new tour because the band left off the "hit" songs and pulled out some catalog songs. Every successful long time band has this problem. Hard core fans want deep album cuts that they never saw live, rocker fans don't want any song played that doesn't have at least a two minute guitar solo, ballad and love song fans want all of those songs played and casual fans want the "hits', the singles that they know.
i'm sure there are nights when JBJ and the guys would like to come out and play just their favorites but it probably wouldn't make for a good flowing show and they are there to entertain other people not themselves . It's a guessing game I think, trying to pull from the catalog. I think you have to take the new material and pull what fits best from your catalog, the songs that flow best and go for it. I think Bj does it better than most they do change up some and JBJ has been known to add or change something right on stage either because he saw a request or because he was just in the mood.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:25 PM
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Aloha !

Quote:
Those 10% of the crowd in a stadium is just as diverse as the rest of the crowd. The only exception is that we follow the band much more. But when it comes to taste the taste of a fan is not that different than the one of someone who just visits a concert. Fans most of the time love the music more then none fans, so your story doesn't exactly hold up.

All About Lovin' You was a single as well. Misunderstood was a single that bombed about everywhere, playing it live won't change that. You're picking 2 songs but you know very well that it's not an excuse to play songs no one likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoviForever
Stupid question.
All bands will play their 'hits' and there are always going to be fans that don't neccessarily like those songs, so it's always gonna happen.
Stupid answer, you didn't get my question at all. When I take setlists from the bands I've visited over the past 3 years there isn't one artist among them that plays songs the fans don't want. Bon Jovi does, and I don't understand why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsong
U2 fans were having a fit when the saw the first setlists on the new tour because the band left off the "hit" songs and pulled out some catalog songs. Every successful long time band has this problem. Hard core fans want deep album cuts that they never saw live, rocker fans don't want any song played that doesn't have at least a two minute guitar solo, ballad and love song fans want all of those songs played and casual fans want the "hits', the singles that they know.
i'm sure there are nights when JBJ and the guys would like to come out and play just their favorites but it probably wouldn't make for a good flowing show and they are there to entertain other people not themselves . It's a guessing game I think, trying to pull from the catalog. I think you have to take the new material and pull what fits best from your catalog, the songs that flow best and go for it. I think Bj does it better than most they do change up some and JBJ has been known to add or change something right on stage either because he saw a request or because he was just in the mood.
This is not meant as a discussion of wanting the album cuts, the rarities. That's not what I mean. I could go on and on about them not playing those rarities, but it's not what I mean right now. I just don't understand why they play the songs that are considered the worst songs from their catalogue.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 04-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Dry County

I know 90% didn't know Edge Of A Broken Heart before the boxset but die hard fans would love to hear this song well. The not mainstream crowd is far more picky. They see more shows. Mainstream crowd go to a show because BJ is in town. They don't really care that the setlist has 5 different songs than the night before. Any song will do.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:53 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen
I was watching the setlist show up last night for Bruce's first rehersal in Asbury Park and all the die hard Bruce fans sounded just like us. "Oh - he'll probably pay the same old sh!t just as he always does" many of them said.

Bruce Springsteen it seems.
Yup - Bruce plays pretty much what he damn well pleases. He can also get surly and not do an encore if the audience doesn't seem appreciative enough. The last big tour he played Rosalita every single night of the tour - everywhere. Halfway through the tour people were saying - enough already - play something else. But no - he played it every night right through to the last show.
Dave Matthews will play some of his old, more popular stuff and sometimes the crowd will actually groan - but he does it too.

Kathleen

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:50 PM
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Aloha !

Quote:
I know 90% didn't know Edge Of A Broken Heart before the boxset but die hard fans would love to hear this song well. The not mainstream crowd is far more picky. They see more shows. Mainstream crowd go to a show because BJ is in town. They don't really care that the setlist has 5 different songs than the night before. Any song will do.
And again, this has got nothing to do with what I'm asking, nor was I trying to get a discussion going about the differences between the setlists.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan