Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

New Tunings This Tour

Tour Discussion

Old 11-20-2016, 03:41 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default New Tunings This Tour

So some songs have been confusing me and I need to go through the new songs one by one BUT Roller Coaster was recorded half a step down and for the live performances everything was tuned a full step below that. People have been talking about the band tuning down more than the traditional half a step and I can confirm they are officially in this era.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:32 PM
These Days

When they played the old songs (Medicine, Who Says, IML, Runaway) they still did in the same key as they normally do it (half step down). Labor Of Love was played in original key, for example. I'm pretty sure the tuning in decided on a song-by-song basis. I advocated for lower key before the 2015 tour, but they still kept it the same, so I don't expect it to change now, but we'll see.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:04 AM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
When they played the old songs (Medicine, Who Says, IML, Runaway) they still did in the same key as they normally do it (half step down). Labor Of Love was played in original key, for example. I'm pretty sure the tuning in decided on a song-by-song basis. I advocated for lower key before the 2015 tour, but they still kept it the same, so I don't expect it to change now, but we'll see.
Thanks for checking it out! Good point. This is pretty much the first time they've tuned that low so let's see. It would be the most opportune time.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:10 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
So some songs have been confusing me and I need to go through the new songs one by one BUT Roller Coaster was recorded half a step down and for the live performances everything was tuned a full step below that. People have been talking about the band tuning down more than the traditional half a step and I can confirm they are officially in this era.
Are you sure about that? The studio version of Rollercoaster is in Eb and the live version in D.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:44 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Are you sure about that? The studio version of Rollercoaster is in Eb and the live version in D.
Yup, that's what I'm saying. The live version is played even lower than the already half step down album version. I just double checked and the chord shapes would have to be on guitars tuned down below half a step to match up.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:13 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Yup, that's what I'm saying. The live version is played even lower than the already half step down album version. I just double checked and the chord shapes would have to be on guitars tuned down below half a step to match up.
I don't know how you get to this assumption, but it's wrong. I just ran the album version through some audio software and transposed it one half step down, and then it's in the same key as the live version. I also tried one full step, but that's too low. So it's the usual half step down.

You might be confused by the actual tuning of the guitars or use of a capo, if you go by visual reference, but musically it's being played one half step down from the studio version, as always/since the 90s (?)...
Old 11-27-2016, 10:27 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovifan93 View Post
I don't know how you get to this assumption, but it's wrong. I just ran the album version through some audio software and transposed it one half step down, and then it's in the same key as the live version. I also tried one full step, but that's too low. So it's the usual half step down.

You might be confused by the actual tuning of the guitars or use of a capo, if you go by visual reference, but musically it's being played one half step down from the studio version, as always/since the 90s (?)...
I don't think we're arguing the same points. If it's recorded in half a step down, which it was, and then it's dropped another half step for live, it's now a full step under standard tuning. That's the point I'm making. The guitars for this track live are a full step lower. Which isn't as big a drop considering half a step down is usual for the band, but a full step is not something that's regular.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:20 AM
Dry County

Quote:
I don't think we're arguing the same points. If it's recorded in half a step down, which it was, and then it's dropped another half step for live, it's now a full step under standard tuning. That's the point I'm making. The guitars for this track live are a full step lower. Which isn't as big a drop considering half a step down is usual for the band, but a full step is not something that's regular.
Hmm ok, but who's to say how it was recorded? I mean, do we have proof that they really downtuned the guitars for the recording or did they just play it in that key (someone mentioned Eb)? You know that not all songs are played in E, right?

Unless they switch guitars for this song when playing it live, it would be impossible to do this one song "a full step" down and the other songs the usual half step, unless they used a capo or something...

My point was just that, as usual, it is played a half step down live compared to the studio version, regardless of the key the song is written/recorded in.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:27 AM
These Days

Quote:
Hmm ok, but who's to say how it was recorded? I mean, do we have proof that they really downtuned the guitars for the recording or did they just play it in that key (someone mentioned Eb)? You know that not all songs are played in E, right?

Unless they switch guitars for this song when playing it live, it would be impossible to do this one song "a full step" down and the other songs the usual half step, unless they used a capo or something...

My point was just that, as usual, it is played a half step down live compared to the studio version, regardless of the key the song is written/recorded in.
Agreed. To me the only tuning discussion that makes sense is the relative "studio vs. live" key comparison. Nobody knows the little tweaks and tricks they did in a studio. No matter how any song was recorded, that is the 'original/standard key' for that particular song.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:10 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:

The first notes a dead giveaway, it's an E. You can hear the low E string. If it was tuned to standard, you wouldn't have an Eb, it'd be half a step too high. Of course not all songs are played in E, hahaha. They have gone back and forth with recording in half a step down and standard.

I'm not for sure for sure about the other songs on the album. Absolutely this is played a half step down from the album version. Here look at this video: at 0:10 you can see Phil play an A chord then back to the original E the song started in. If your guitar is tuned a full step below standard that's exactly what those chords will sound like.

I'm not arguing what the song is recorded in, though it stands to reason, I just can't shake that this song is a full step below standard live.

EDIT: Just watched the Barrymore feed. I was over zealous when I said new tunings this tour. Both Born Again Tomorrow and Roller Coaster are tuned a full step down. Switching guitars isn't an issue, really. It's just Phil and John, Hugh's 5 string doesn't change but Phil has his black guitar for those two songs. Can anyone confirm what I'm saying so I don't look like I'm going crazy?

Last edited by Captain_jovi; 11-28-2016 at 02:21 PM..