Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Born to riff: The 17 greatest New Jersey guitarists

General BJ Discussion

Old 02-18-2016, 10:19 PM
Something for the Posts

Default Born to riff: The 17 greatest New Jersey guitarists

Asbury Park Press:
There are a multitude of guitarists from the Garden State...Some...have remained Jersey legends while...others...have impacted the world...Then there are greats like Matt O’Ree, whose reputations are just now getting out...

Yep, it seems like there's a great Jersey guitarist for every mile marker of the Garden State Parkway...(H)ere is our list of the Top 17...

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Old 02-18-2016, 11:29 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknation View Post
Asbury Park Press:
There are a multitude of guitarists from the Garden State...Some...have remained Jersey legends while...others...have impacted the world...Then there are greats like Matt O’Ree, whose reputations are just now getting out...

Yep, it seems like there's a great Jersey guitarist for every mile marker of the Garden State Parkway...(H)ere is our list of the Top 17...
Three Bon Jovi guitarist on the list whooo hoooo! (not that there are many New Jersey guitarists I reckon)

On the other hand, I'm not sure if Richie would be happy to share the spotlight with Bobby. Not throwing shade at all, I'm learning to play guitar and man, I don't see Richie anywhere when looking for info/best of lists etc. Must be frustrating to be on a local best of list, but ignored on almost every other.

These days what's left of me ain't no Prince Charming

We know Jon, we know
Old 02-19-2016, 12:56 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbeline View Post
Three Bon Jovi guitarist on the list whooo hoooo! (not that there are many New Jersey guitarists I reckon)
You made your own point.

I guess I can't really judge since I'm not familiar with many of them, but I'm a bit surprised Zakk Wylde wasn't a bit higher on the list. He has some classics with Ozzy.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:29 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Three? I say 1 1/2...

Matt joined their month long tour and is no more a member than Evert Bradley... It will be somewhat interesting to see who joins this next tour between him and Bobby...
Old 02-19-2016, 08:56 PM
Something for the Posts

Guitarist #5, Marissa Paternoster, is no token female:

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...
Old 02-19-2016, 11:56 PM
These Days

Thanks for posting, rocknation!!

Quote:
... On the other hand, I'm not sure if Richie would be happy to share the spotlight with Bobby. Not throwing shade at all, I'm learning to play guitar and man, I don't see Richie anywhere when looking for info/best of lists etc. Must be frustrating to be on a local best of list, but ignored on almost every other.
Richie's been sharing the spotlight his entire career so I seriously doubt it bothers him that Bobby and Matt are on the list, too. From all accounts they both have fairly respectable reputations along the Jersey Shore.

My guess is that Richie is perfectly okay with coming in second only to Les Paul, regardless of who else is on the list. That's pretty impressive! And he came in ahead of Bruce, too, which probably made Jon happy, since this is the second year in a row that he or someone associated with the band bested Springsteen in a Jersey poll.

I was surprised to learn about the poll from last year since I didn't recall seeing anything about it here. I couldn't find it posted in General Discussion but if I overlooked it, or if it was posted somewhere else, I apologize for the double posting.

http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainme...icle-1.2153910

Quote:
Jon Bon Jovi was crowned as the Garden State's favorite rocker over Bruce Springsteen in a poll of readers on Asbury Park Press' web site.

Bon Jovi received 11,140 votes (50.7 percent) while Springsteen racked up 49.34 percent in the poll.

Springsteen was No. 23 on Rolling Stone Magazine's 100 Greatest Artists of all time, for example, while Bon Jovi didn't crack the list.

And it's not exactly a scientific poll: the results may have been skewed by a tweet by Bon Jovi's brother, Matthew Bongiovi on the last day of voting last Friday.

Matthew Bongiovi ‎@TheMattBongiovi
Only just over hour left to vote. GO GO GO!!! The power of the Bon Jovi Nation http://www.app.com/story/entertainme...23pd_a_8704081
10:45 PM - 13 Mar 2015

"Bon Jovi has some OK pop songs, but Bruce is the greatest songwriter/performer in history," griped one poster on app.com. "There's absolutely no comparison. You can't compare 'Bad Medicine' to 'The River.' ''

I think it's a shame how the press tries to diminish Jon's accomplishments every time something good is said about him. Seems kinda snippy to me that they made the reference to Matt's tweet. One article I saw even went so far as to point out that it was retweeted 61 times! So f'n what? It was a fan poll. It's what fans do!!

The guy just can't catch a break!!
Old 02-20-2016, 09:16 PM
Jovi Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknation View Post
Guitarist #5, Marissa Paternoster, is no token female:

Screaming Females (Live at The Hideout)
I really like her work in covering Because the night with Garbage. Killer stuff.

As for Richie, he has the money and millions upon millions of records sold, huge recognition by public in many different ways. He doesn't need a recognition like this in any way or form. Music is not sports.

Edit: the video of Because the night, skip to 3:41 if you don't like the song. Me - I can just watch 50 year old Shirley Manson for the rest of my days and die happy

Last edited by QUceK1WV8; 02-20-2016 at 09:22 PM..