Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

No Richie on current leg of the tour

Tour Discussion

Old 03-30-2015, 06:27 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
Apparently Slash even persuaded Richie to give back some of the money to Skid Row ages ago...so I doubt he'd have a problem playing on Richie's record despite of the things he's said but I think he's heavily touring at the moment....
That is one of the biggest shitty lies thrown around trying to make Richie seem nice throughout the years. Snake has confirmed at various interviews that no money was ever given back by anyone, Richie or Jon.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:12 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
That is one of the biggest shitty lies thrown around trying to make Richie seem nice throughout the years. Snake has confirmed at various interviews that no money was ever given back by anyone, Richie or Jon.
Yeah - didn't even mean to say that. Apparently (and even according to Snake) - Slash would have asked Richie to do so....whatever happened after is a different story. But, interestingly enough, Richie does get a thank you credit on the inner sleeve of Subhuman Race....

The point was more about Richie and Slash actually having been fairly close during the years...
Old 03-30-2015, 08:17 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlookin View Post
What did Van Halen have to say about Bon Jovi when they supported them? I am genuinely curious.

I remember Jon speaking kindly to them, saying he understood it was hard for them etc. while I think he said once Alex Van Halen asked for advice, or Jon gave the advice anyway without being asked, not sure which.
Alex said it was a massive mistake to go on tour with them. Eddie was stating how Jovi were getting angry at them if they were not staying for the Jovi set. He also said that they had to up their game because of Van Halen, hence they changed the opener to Prayer. Stuff like this, basically implying that they were the bigger band and Jovi were just food on their plate which was absolutely not the case. The only one who I remember saying positive stuff was Sammy...who pointed out that it wasn't the right gig for them, Bon Jovi were just too big and they were not at their best so it made them appear poor.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:07 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
Alex said it was a massive mistake to go on tour with them. Eddie was stating how Jovi were getting angry at them if they were not staying for the Jovi set. He also said that they had to up their game because of Van Halen, hence they changed the opener to Prayer. Stuff like this, basically implying that they were the bigger band and Jovi were just food on their plate which was absolutely not the case. The only one who I remember saying positive stuff was Sammy...who pointed out that it wasn't the right gig for them, Bon Jovi were just too big and they were not at their best so it made them appear poor.
Actually I do recall Eddie being a bit more humble about it. He said how it was the wrong audience for them to play for and he was sad when the fans didn't react to his guitar shredding, to which the narrator concluded "he wasn't the guitar hero to that audience" or something like that. He also said they wouldn't get a positive enthusiastic reaction after ending their set, so they had to change it and end the set with Jump and only that led to decent climax in the end.

So overall it was more about not being a good fit, but it didn't slag Bon Jovi. I'm not questioning what you just wrote, just adding what I recall reading about this. I think it was on Classic Rock magazine a few years ago, but I'm not sure.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:33 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
Actually I do recall Eddie being a bit more humble about it. He said how it was the wrong audience for them to play for and he was sad when the fans didn't react to his guitar shredding, to which the narrator concluded "he wasn't the guitar hero to that audience" or something like that. He also said they wouldn't get a positive enthusiastic reaction after ending their set, so they had to change it and end the set with Jump and only that led to decent climax in the end.

So overall it was more about not being a good fit, but it didn't slag Bon Jovi. I'm not questioning what you just wrote, just adding what I recall reading about this. I think it was on Classic Rock magazine a few years ago, but I'm not sure.
Yeah - I think I read that too but that's all in hindsight. Immediately after the tour, they were certainly not in that reflective mood....
Old 03-31-2015, 12:22 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Sounds like a bunch of big talk from big, bruised egos to me. It can't be easy to be a member of Guns & Roses or Van Halen and be in an opening slot for anyone.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:45 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Sounds like a bunch of big talk from big, bruised egos to me. It can't be easy to be a member of Guns & Roses or Van Halen and be in an opening slot for anyone.
I saw Van Halen opening for Bon Jovi in 1995. Actually, they were announced as "special guest" and played a pretty long set if I recall correctly. But I was 11 and it wasn't only my first time seeing BJ, but my first concert in general. So I was excited and nervous at the same time. Nervous especially when I saw the enthusiastic reaction Van Halen were receiving from the crowd. And not just for "Jump", which I didn't even recognized then. I was relieved when the crowd exploded for BJ, "my" band.

Anyhow, I was quite impressed by Van Halen, which led me to buy their Best Of a couple of years later and then the "Balance" album, which they were touring in 1995.

Glory days.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:22 AM
Dry County

Yup, wasn't my first concert ever, if I recall correctly, but definitely my first stadium concert. We had Ugly Kid Joe opening, then Van Halen for 2 hours and then BJ for 2 1/2 hours. Rain until the break between VH and BJ, which Jon made a comment about, and after the concert, the entire floor was filled with old umbrellas. Great day
Old 04-28-2015, 03:47 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Trouble for Van Halen is in Europe they are simply not big a enough band in Europe and especially the UK. Jump aside I doubt many people - especially - non die hards would be able to name another song. Maybe Why Cant This Be Love at a push.
They just weren't big over this side of the pond.

I dont mind them but when I saw them support Jovi in 95 I wasnt blown away.
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 04-29-2015, 01:39 AM
These Days

Here's Van Halen opening for Bon Jovi: