Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Why so many prefer WDR over THINFS as a single?

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 08-15-2016, 12:20 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

Default Why so many prefer WDR over THINFS as a single?

I get it, WDR has angry lyrics and aggressive delivery. What we've been asking since forever. And THINFS is what I thought (and feared) "God Bless This Mess" would be when it was rumored to be the first single at the same time they announced they were back with the label, a "we've been through hell and back but here we are standing our ground/living our live our way bla bla" in their usual uplifting-universal-message style that I absolutely hate.
But surprisingly THINFS is what Teardrop was to WDR, a bitter, slightly cynical "life's been shit lately but hey, we survived and we are stronger than ever, but it hurts, you learn to live with it, yeah, but it hurts" disguised as an anthemic sing along positive message. It's exactly what I was expecting from the album and the fact that the single, the most commercial and "accessible" song, has this subtle touch underneath the straightforward lyrics gives me such high hopes I can't even believe it.

WDR worked perfectly for BB precisely because it was the heat of the moment and a huge emotional rollercoaster (anger and pride-WDR, despair and disbelief-Teardrop, cynism and a FU-title track) that made fans reconnect with the band. Holding on to anger is not healthy and personally I think it could have alienated fans, even TD had uplifting singles (uplifting enough for the common fan who doesn't analyze lyrics and subtext). WDR is too much in-your-face to work as a single now when all it's been said and done. And frankly the lyrics are the opposite of subtle, like they should be! You are angry, you tell it like it is, no sugarcoating things.
But afterwards you learn to deal and that experience shapes you, but you move on. It's the same message really, both WDR and THINFS, but the latter is the embers after the fire, the sincere but cynical approach. THINFS is very subtle despite the simple lyrics and easy clichés. It is about the band, we all agree, but it can be about as many things as we want and I guess we'd all be partially right and wrong at the same time. It's about fvcking up and being fvcked up. I interpret one of my fav lyrics "This house was built on higher ground" to a FU to anyone who tried to bring it down, break or bury the band, but also as a "we fvcked up but this is bigger than us so we are good again"

Maybe I'm reading too much into things, maybe I'm turning into an optimist (just kidding lol), but I feel THINFS delivers the message better than WDR and somehow feels more vindicative in its deceivingly positive message.

These days what's left of me ain't no Prince Charming

We know Jon, we know

Old 08-15-2016, 01:06 AM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via AIM to Adam D

I agree with this. I prefer House to Run personally.

The chorus in House is too good to ignore.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Slippery When Wet
The Circle
Crush
Have A Nice Day
Lost Highway
What About Now
Bounce
7800 Fahrenheit
Bon Jovi

"Each song played was just another example of how ingenious these guys are at writing choruses that make you feel like there’s a big game tomorrow, that you’re the underdog, and that you’re going to win."
Old 08-15-2016, 02:24 AM
Hardest Part is the Night

I don't quite get it either. WDR is one of the worst songs on Burning Bridges as far as I'm concerned. Way behind THINFS in my opinion.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:38 AM
Jovi Freak

We Don't Run had unusual production styles... which sounded a lot like modern Fall Out Boy. It featured a vocal Jon couldn't even somewhat pull off live. And the chorus was super blatant, and used the same old IML, HAND, Undivided, Complicated... chords.

I personally like House better.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:46 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Send a message via MSN to Kieets

I like THINFS a lot, but WDR tops it for me easily. It's new, fresh and powerful from the start to chorus. The bridge, solo and the ending are awesome too.

I've played it to friends (that are not fans), and they prefer it too.

I get the message from THINFS, and I like the song more for that reason. The hooks are there too I get that.

I think the major reason besides the message that's needed about the band now, is that it's a good allround song. The older audience will like it a lot and the younger audience will accept it. Whereas WDR would be attractive for only the younger crowd, which are hard to attract.. So I guess it would be more of a risk?

Still I'm hoping the second single will be an even stronger one as prayer was to bad name..
Old 08-15-2016, 12:10 PM
Jovi Fan

I never understood the love for We don´t run. For me it´s one of their worst songs ever.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:16 PM
The Distance

For starters THINFS and Teardrop aren't even on the same page... Teardrop is a hidden gem and might be the best post 2010 song imo...

Someone said it best... We Don't Run is fresh and modern. It doesn't sound like a leftover from 2005... In terms of singles, yes it has a Fall Out Boy vibe and probably the reason why it was dropped from this forthcoming album but it's title and lyrical content works with today's audience... I think THINFS comes across formulated and I just don't see people wanting to jam along to it...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2016, 01:39 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieets View Post
Whereas WDR would be attractive for only the younger crowd, which are hard to attract.. So I guess it would be more of a risk?
Though I can't speak for the whole of my age-bracket, I will say that, as part of the younger crowd, I much prefer THINFS to WDR - though I was ecstatic with WDR upon hearing it for the first time. I love the band for their extensive catalogue - and to me, THINFS feels like an extension of that. It feels good on them. I am happy identifying that sound and image with the band. WDR feels jarringly modern to me - like it's trying to be top 40 when the band clearly aren't. I am all for the band trying new things - for one I actually love TLFR. But WDR doesn't sound Bon Jovi to me in terms of the actual music. There is a concerning lack of discernible guitar - the chorus is basically drum n' bass! Having said that, I will continue to listen to WDR and enjoy it - all the while hoping that the new album is a little more vintage Jovi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieets View Post
Still I'm hoping the second single will be an even stronger one as prayer was to bad name..
If we get a similar step up from THINFS to the next single as Bad Name to Prayer, then we are in for one HELL of an album!!
Old 08-15-2016, 01:41 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
FI think THINFS comes across formulated and I just don't see people wanting to jam along to it...
I'd rather jam along to THINFS than WDR. In WDR, I don't hear any guitar to jam along to!!
Old 08-15-2016, 01:57 PM
Price of posting

The only good thing of WDR is have claw, balls, power. THINFS lacks this element.