Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Paul Stanley Visits Girl with Similar Congential Ear Condition

Other Bands

Old 03-12-2015, 10:47 PM
Something for the Posts

Default Paul Stanley Visits Girl with Similar Congential Ear Condition

Quote:
Blabbermouth: KISS frontman Paul Stanley, who was born with Level 3 Microtia and is deaf in his right ear, last week visited a four-year-old Canadian girl who was born without external ears and travelled to Los Angeles to have reconstructive surgery...

In his memoir...Face The Music: A Life Exposed, Stanley talks frankly about his early struggles with...a congenital deformity of the cartilage of the outer ear that can affect normal hearing...(He)...grew up half-deaf and scarred with a deformed right ear...(and) eventually had reconstructive surgery in 1982 to create an ear using a piece of his rib cage.

Stanley (was asked) why he kept his ear a secret for so long. "Oh, it was painful," he said... "You can only reveal...and...deal with things when you're ready to. And my experiences as a child were so debilitating and destructive that the best way for me to deal with my ear was to cover it and to — at least on the surface — ignore what was going on; although when something is invisible to others doesn't mean it's not visible and very much a part of your life...

"I've had an implanted hearing aid for years now...This has been an ongoing adjustment for me as my brain has never processed sound coming in from my right side...In the beginning, it was incredibly taxing and extremely confusing...That said, it has settled in quite a bit and I have to say, it has enhanced my day-to-day activities."
A half deaf rock star? Talk about bad for business -- I wonder how long he kept that secret from his bandmates, never mind the record label. And he's lucky that long hair was in vogue at the time. Being in a rock band must have done wonders for his self-esteem, but not knowing how the public would react to the truth must have been terrifying, too. I can certainly understand why he feels happy for that girl.

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 06-04-2020 at 07:08 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 06:40 PM
Keep the Faith

So what you're saying is anyone with a disability should know their limits? As he's been in a successful rock band for 40 years now,I don't think it's held him back really,do you? It's all in his book if you want to copy and paste that too.
87 Donington
88 Birminham Nec x 3
89 MK Bowl
89 Birmingham Nec x 3
93 Birmingham Nec x 2
93 MK Bowl
95 Sheffield Don Valley
96 Manchester Maine Rd.
2000 Stoke Brittania
2001 MK Bowl
2006 Manchester/MK Bowl x 2
2008 Manchester/Twickenham x 2
2011 Manchester Old Trafford
2013 Villa Park
Old 03-13-2015, 10:21 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj28 View Post
So what you're saying is anyone with a disability should know their limits? As he's been in a successful rock band for 40 years now, I don't think it's held him back really,do you?
The issue is knowing perfectly well that limits would likely be placed UPON you by those WITHOUT disabilities if you dared to be more open. Why do you THINK it's taken the better part of 40 years to for Paul to "recover" from so much "pain"?

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 01-30-2022 at 06:40 PM..