Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Would you marry someone who didn't have a job?

NBJ - Everything Else

Old 03-21-2014, 11:27 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Default Would you marry someone who didn't have a job?

Just something that came up in conversation today. I was curious what other people's thoughts are.

Personally, I wouldn't marry anyone I'd have to support.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:33 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Just something that came up in conversation today. I was curious what other people's thoughts are.

Personally, I wouldn't marry anyone I'd have to support.
Completely depends on the person's circumstances.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:58 AM
These Days

Send a message via MSN to mo_rizwan

I wouldn't marry.....end of story
Old 03-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Blaze of Posting

So is not having a job a permanent, irreversible condition of human existence? Maybe everyone should wear some sort of arm band saying 'unemployed' and they should be all avoided like the pest. Why not put them in labour camps actually???

Honestly Becky, that statement is so wrong at so many levels that I am just not sure how one could take it serious.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:16 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
So is not having a job a permanent, irreversible condition of human existence? Maybe everyone should wear some sort of arm band saying 'unemployed' and they should be all avoided like the pest. Why not put them in labour camps actually???

Honestly Becky, that statement is so wrong at so many levels that I am just not sure how one could take it serious.
Have to say I agree with you here.
24.06.2011 - LCCC, MANCHESTER
25.06.2011 - HYDE PARK, LONDON
16.10.2012 - RICHIE - SHEPHERD'S BUSH, LONDON
0̶8̶.̶0̶6̶.̶2̶0̶1̶3̶ ̶-̶ ̶E̶T̶I̶H̶A̶D̶ ̶S̶T̶A̶D̶I̶U̶M̶,̶ ̶M̶A̶N̶C̶H̶E̶S̶T̶E̶R̶
05.07.2013 - HYDE PARK, LONDON
Old 03-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Crush

Send a message via MSN to Jim Bon Jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_rizwan View Post
I wouldn't marry.....end of story
Correct answer. My brother got married last year and works as a support assistant in the same school I'm currently teaching in. Earlier in the week one of our colleagues mentioned something about being married in front of both of us then gasped, turned to me and said "sorry, I didn't mean to bring up a sore point."

At which point I went "Why would me not being married be a sore point? Me and the girlfriend are planning a massive cruise next year while my brother is planning a pregnancy" My opinion may change down the line but I'm totally against the idea of getting married for being married / society's sake. I'm happy the way things are just now as is my girlfriend so why get married just because our friends are / people expect us to?

As a wedding DJ who sees a lot more weddings and newlyweds than your average couple I'd actually take it a step further and say with new civil laws which give a lot more legal rights to long term partners and cohabiting couples, exactly how would me getting married tangibly change my life in any way except leaving me with a hangover, a lot less money and my girlfriend with a new surname?

But I digress.

As someone else said, it would totally depend on the circumstances.

If someone was a wastrel with no history or prospect of meaningful future employment then chances are they're not the kind of person I'd be interested in dating anyway so the marriage situation would never arise.

If it was someone I'd been seeing for a length of time, had lost their job, was in between jobs or something similar then by all means IF I wanted to get married (see above ) then yeah I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Whilst I don't agree with Becky's blanket statement I can see her point and I don't think she's being portrayed very fairly here. Unless I'm mistaken, she's not saying unemployed folk are worthless / not worthy to marry etc... but the practicalities and long term reality of being married and having to fully support someone would lead to a lot of resentment I'm sure no matter how much money you were earning.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK View Post
Have to say I agree with you here.
mmm...me too. It shouldn't matter, as long as the love is there.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bon Jovi View Post
Whilst I don't agree with Becky's blanket statement I can see her point and I don't think she's being portrayed very fairly here. Unless I'm mistaken, she's not saying unemployed folk are worthless / not worthy to marry etc... but the practicalities and long term reality of being married and having to fully support someone would lead to a lot of resentment I'm sure no matter how much money you were earning.
That is what I'm saying. I can imagine how much I'd resent after a while it if I married an able-bodied person who just refused to get a job and help pay the bills. It would eventually become a point of contention.

My brother is involved with a woman who sits on her ass and does nothing all day long while he supports her. She'll get a job and hold it for about 2 days and then decide she doesn't like it because she's actually having to lift a finger. To me, not working when you are able-bodied and have bills to pay and a kid (her kid, not his) to support is just sorry.

Last edited by Becky; 03-22-2014 at 02:23 PM..
Old 03-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Crush

Send a message via MSN to Jim Bon Jovi

That's what I thought you were getting at Becky.

I've just finished reading the Wolf of Wall Street and even though that guy had enough money tan he could ever burn through, I'm pretty sure he still saw it as HIS money SHE was spending when his wife went on sprees.

I can only imagine the resentment being excaserbated when you don't have limitless funds to piss away on your feckless spouse.

I caught a bit of one of these home buying reality shows a while ago and this womanchild was having strops and tantrums because she couldn't find her perfect home (which off the bat the presenter / expert had told her was being totally unrealistic) and it got to the point where the husband had to step in on national TV and say words to the effect of: This is MY money so I will be deciding what house we buy. At that point I thought - that man has been sitting on an outburst like that for years.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bon Jovi View Post
Correct answer. My brother got married last year and works as a support assistant in the same school I'm currently teaching in. Earlier in the week one of our colleagues mentioned something about being married in front of both of us then gasped, turned to me and said "sorry, I didn't mean to bring up a sore point."

At which point I went "Why would me not being married be a sore point? Me and the girlfriend are planning a massive cruise next year while my brother is planning a pregnancy" My opinion may change down the line but I'm totally against the idea of getting married for being married / society's sake. I'm happy the way things are just now as is my girlfriend so why get married just because our friends are / people expect us to?

As a wedding DJ who sees a lot more weddings and newlyweds than your average couple I'd actually take it a step further and say with new civil laws which give a lot more legal rights to long term partners and cohabiting couples, exactly how would me getting married tangibly change my life in any way except leaving me with a hangover, a lot less money and my girlfriend with a new surname?

But I digress.

As someone else said, it would totally depend on the circumstances.

If someone was a wastrel with no history or prospect of meaningful future employment then chances are they're not the kind of person I'd be interested in dating anyway so the marriage situation would never arise.

If it was someone I'd been seeing for a length of time, had lost their job, was in between jobs or something similar then by all means IF I wanted to get married (see above ) then yeah I wouldn't have a problem with it.

+1

Exchange DJ with playing in a band as a side gig and this reads like something I could write....