Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

The "Screw what other people think" thread

General BJ Discussion

Old 06-10-2017, 01:53 AM
These Days

I neither loves or hate Never Say Goodbye, but except for the first two albums it's probably one of the most dated songs in Bon Jovi's catalogue. The lyrics, the phrasing, the incredibly 80's power ballad feel of it. It just doesn't hold up anywhere as good as IBTFY, Bed of Roses or Always today.
I can get why Jon doesn't feel 100 % comfortable to sing a passionate ballad about losing your virginity in someones backseat.

Last edited by DryCounty; 06-10-2017 at 01:56 AM..

Old 06-10-2017, 03:55 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCounty View Post
I neither loves or hate Never Say Goodbye, but except for the first two albums it's probably one of the most dated songs in Bon Jovi's catalogue. The lyrics, the phrasing, the incredibly 80's power ballad feel of it. It just doesn't hold up anywhere as good as IBTFY, Bed of Roses or Always today.
I can get why Jon doesn't feel 100 % comfortable to sing a passionate ballad about losing your virginity in someones backseat.
Who ever said that Jon's uncomfortable singing the song? Or for that matter, has any issues with the song whatsoever???

There are multiple reason why I would guess Jon doesn't sing it... one is because he can't... two, is because it might be more of a Richie song. Three, it might be a Jon and Richie song that they harmonize together on...

The only thing Jon does say is that he can't rewrite another one because he's past that blah blah blah... He's been saying that since Faith...

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2017, 10:56 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Who ever said that Jon's uncomfortable singing the song? Or for that matter, has any issues with the song whatsoever???

There are multiple reason why I would guess Jon doesn't sing it... one is because he can't... two, is because it might be more of a Richie song. Three, it might be a Jon and Richie song that they harmonize together on...

The only thing Jon does say is that he can't rewrite another one because he's past that blah blah blah... He's been saying that since Faith...
I found myself agreeing with you almost everytime I see your post here. This is exactly what I'm thinking the reasons are. Thanks man

BTW. Have been to four clubs in past 2-3 weeks. All the bands, no matter what genre they were in, played some of Bon Jovi songs. I had no idea BJ would be so popular among bands playing clubs. Or maybe it was my wishful thinking that transferred to their heads and made them play BJ stuff almost immediately I hit the place haha
Old 06-10-2017, 03:42 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Your too stuck on the word 'opinion'... It's one of the greatest rock ballads of all time by your favorite band... and then you trash it... I mean come one... it's just so off the wall and off the charts... that's like someone posting their opinion stating that 'Shit Smells Good'... you could state it but it doesn't mean that I have to accept it...

So don't accept it, but don't trash someone and call yourself a bigger fan and them a troll and an amateur. I love the song, you love the song, she doesn't and none of us are right. No one is asking you to tear down others to make yourself a bigger better fan.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:00 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

It's funny guys, really. If we take into account the longevity , the amount of fan stuff and the number of attended concerts, you are ALL way ahead of me. I should just bow my head to you because I'm the smallest fan of all. O Come All Ye Faithful... It's sad to see fans fighting and boasting of who is bigger, better and more knowledgeable, more into the band, almost closer to heaven. We're one big family, we all wanted to be in the fandom for the very same purpose. Please, stop that unnecessary trash talking. I can be blunt myself sometimes, too but rarely on purpose. On a happier note, I hit some bars and pubs last three weeks in my city and guess what, all those bands played some Bon Jovi stuff! The singer who was singing Prayer yesterday had some good pipes and even did the screams, it was awesome! The band is HUGE among rock lovers and I'm so f**** glad I'm part of it.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:24 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

RD, I like you and enjoy your posts and respect your opinion. I don't want to be at odds with you. Can't you just accept my opinion is different than yours and peacefully move on. We've kind of beaten this to death at this point.

Next statement from me about unpopular (maybe) opinions: I think This House is the band's best and most consistent work since These Days. I love the content.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:07 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
RD, I like you and enjoy your posts and respect your opinion. I don't want to be at odds with you. Can't you just accept my opinion is different than yours and peacefully move on. We've kind of beaten this to death at this point.

Next statement from me about unpopular (maybe) opinions: I think This House is the band's best and most consistent work since These Days. I love the content.
I think a lot of the songs on thinfs are big turds. I prefer bounce and have a nice day over it. And lost highway and the circle are better than those 2. It just beats wan.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:08 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post

Agree Becky... And the feeling is mutual... I was having a bad day yesterday!!

Old 06-11-2017, 02:52 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Lets clear up some facts...

1. Being a fan and being a troll are not relatable. Being a Troll is basically stating something just a get a rise out of people... You can still be a die-hard fan and a Troll at the same time...

2. Becky, I don't think you're a troll but you need to rethink your opinion based on your reasoning's stated above. It's all so wrong... Every piece of it.

3. NSG was never stolen from Hearts Of Stone... Jon might have been influenced by that song but he was just giving props to Bruce for writing such an amazing song... That's why Richie said "news to me"... I always took that song to be just as much as a Richie song as a Jon song... Richie laughed it off but he was somewhat like "WTF - No it wasn't". That's why he called it out twice...

4. In America, NSG was never released as an official single but it got a lot of radio airplay as if it was one and radio had much more freedom during those time. That song is more recognizable by non fans than anything this band has done in the past 15 years... So yea, technically it wasn't a single if we are talking about charted numbers however it follows the same path as IML did when it comes to radio air-play... It was a huge hit that was never an official hit...
3. Oh, my fault. Never knew that was a Bruce song. Thought you had it all mixed up, but then googled and ... whoops But I think you know the video I'm about to post, since it pretty much matches what you wrote. Though I'd disagree about Richie. IMO he actually knows Jon is right and just plays along/laughs it off. He's not going WTF? or anything, as far as I'm concerned:

The other time he stated that he stole it, was this one. And there he actually states it's a Southside song, so that's maybe why thought it was. Or am I totally confused now and it is, after all?

4. What do you mean by "never an official hit" concerning IML? Was that no single in the States?
Old 06-11-2017, 03:30 PM
The Distance

It's My Life was a radio airplay only single... I tunes didn't exist yet and they didn't release it as a CD Single because they wanted to push more album sales...