Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

JBJ Financial Times interview

General BJ Discussion

Old 01-13-2017, 06:32 PM
Born to be my Baby

Default JBJ Financial Times interview

https://www.ft.com/content/a3951c6c-...b-e7eb37a6aa8e

Nothing new in there.. the interview was published today but was took last October...

Inviato dal mio SM-A510F utilizzando Tapatalk

Old 01-14-2017, 10:19 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

Yeah, nothing new to talk about. A solid interview, though.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:30 AM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via MSN to Jayster

Well the fact he says "f#@k you" to Richie in an interview is a new level of anger, isn't it?

Interview also here - http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/en...-35367667.html
June 21st 2008 - Hampden Park, Glasgow
December 10th 2010 - Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne
December 11th 2010 - Etihad Stadium, Melbourne
December 14th 2013 - ANZ Stadium, Sydney
December 15th 2013 - Sydney Entertainment Centre
February 26th 2014 - Enmore Theatre, Sydney - Richie Sambora
Old 01-15-2017, 09:57 AM

well, it's still better than indifference ;]
Old 01-15-2017, 11:25 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayster View Post
Well the fact he says "f#@k you" to Richie in an interview is a new level of anger, isn't it?

Interview also here - http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/en...-35367667.html
Not only he couldn't sing in the shower after Richie left, he couldn't sing during the shows since about after July 2013.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:45 PM
These Days

The reason there's nothing new is because it's not a new interview. The writer states, "Our meeting takes place on the eve of Trump’s surprise victory." That would have been November 6 at the latest, and I question even that... unless Jon figured out some way to overcome the laws of physics and managed to be on two different continents at the same time. On “the eve of Trump’s surprise victory” Jon was in Philadelphia, stumping to get last minute votes for Hillary. The day before that he was in Charlotte, and the day before that he was in Tampa, doing the same thing.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.billb...ndroid-verizon

Quote:
Bruce Springsteen is set to appear at the final rally supporting Hillary Clinton Monday night (Nov. 7) in Philadelphia. Springsteen will join fellow New Jerseyan and Clinton supporter Jon Bon Jovi at an election night eve event held at Independence Mall alongside President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama, as well as former President Bill Clinton and daughter Chelsea.

Like the Kate Mossman article a while back, this one seems “off” to me, too. It has the same fanfic-ish commentary. Just guessing from the similar descriptions of the setting, I agree with Dave88. It seems to be from the same series of interviews that Jon did in London last October (apparently at the Savoy, according to this writer).

Quote:
“We sit facing each other in daintily upholstered chairs, by a table with a bottle of artesian water shipped from Fiji. At 54, Bon Jovi has retained his famous good looks. Perfect teeth, strong jawline, fit physique, blue jeans, big watch, hair a buoyant ashy thatch. From time to time, in order to emphasise a point, he leans forward to tap me lightly on the knee, an endearing act of tactility. The man formerly known as John Bongiovi has Sicilian roots on his father’s side.”

I did notice a couple of things in the way these writers presented their take on the interviews. I love the way the writers (and Jon, if the quotes are accurate) now blame Richie for Jon’s vocal issues. Wonder when they’re going to find a way to blame him for the NFL fiasco?

But I guess that’s not really news either, since as far as some fans are concerned, Richie is already the scapegoat for the all the lackluster albums released since HAND, for the phoned-in performances and, more recently, for the lack of creativity in Jon’s writing. I gotta say, for people who think Richie was nothing more than a hired gun in Jon’s band, they sure seem to give him a lot of credit for everything they think was wrong with it.

The other thing that caught my attention is that, according to this comment from the Belfast article, Jon has apparently faced some down-home truths of his own:

Quote:
And while Jon’s previously become too obsessed with the group's work, the singer insists he has taken a step back in recent years.

“Back in my earlier days I would have termed myself (a workaholic) that but not for the last decade,” he insisted. “When you get to a certain age you realise that there’s more to life than wanting to be the lead singer of a rock band."

The last decade?? If that’s a true statement, Jon doesn’t seem to have a real grip on his addictions, either. I guess it’s a good thing that “workaholism” is so much more socially acceptable.

"When you get to a certain age you realise that there’s more to life than wanting to be the lead singer of a rock band." Hmmm... Gee, now where have I heard that before? Seems like Jon may have learned more from Richie’s departure than just how to write meaningful songs again.

All that aside, I don’t know who is responsible for the content and the timing of these reports. It doesn’t matter if it’s Jon’s PR people or the writers and the media they represent. Either way, Jon needs to do something, musically or philanthropically, or get himself another award… something. He needs to find another way to promote the new album and tour. These October promos, and Richie’s coattails, are wearing thin.

JMO.

Last edited by JackieBlue; 01-16-2017 at 12:58 AM..
Old 01-15-2017, 07:35 PM

^

*claps* Oh, so well said, thank you Jackie!
Old 01-15-2017, 10:50 PM
Livin' on a Post

Maybe you guys should go to 5.29 on this YouTube video of Jon from his FB live session, and except what he says here, just saying
Old 01-15-2017, 11:21 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
I did notice a couple of things in the way these writers presented their take on the interviews. I love the way the writers (and Jon, if the quotes are accurate) now blame Richie for Jon’s vocal issues. Wonder when they’re going to find a way to blame him for the NFL fiasco?
JackieBlue, I don't think you can definitively translate “I couldn’t sing in the shower!” and “I’m not exaggerating. I couldn’t f*cking sing...” to Jon straight up blaming Richie for his vocal issues. It was, as the writer put it, the "long period of musical inactivity after the tour ended..." that Jon attributes to his vocal shortcomings. Jon himself has identified this "Richie scenario" as being just one factor that contributed to his somewhat depressive state - the others being the Buffalo Bills bid and the split from the record company (and probably other things too). I do agree with you that the writer appears to have some kind of prejudice against Richie as evidence by the passage: "Sambora’s departure followed a long struggle with drink and painkiller addiction, involving spells in rehab and missed shows. In this he is unlike the punctual, clean-living Bon Jovi."

I myself went through some stress recently, and it manifested itself physically - I was tired all the time, developed a rash on my neck, became very squeamish around blood, and would be constantly out of breath when I was running. Had I been any good at singing, that probably would've suffered too!! Now hopefully, similarly to how I've recovered, Jon can reach a level of performance that will sit with most fans - realistically, early BWC tour standard.

So I believe it's quite likely that the Richie situation (along with the Buffalo Bills and UMG), coupled with the steadier decline we had seen since 2010, can be attributed to Jon's inability to perform to accepted standards.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:53 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa3 View Post
Maybe you guys should go to 5.29 on this YouTube video of Jon from his FB live session, and except what he says here, just saying JON BON JOVI ? FACEBOOK Q&A (2017) - YouTube
If Jon could still pull off his 80s and 90s material, and yet chose to release records like TC and THINFS (which I personally love), then this would be easier to accept. But it's easy for many fans (myself included) to believe that the type and style of music we get from Jon today is largely due to his decline in vocal range. If he could still belt out notes like in Santa Fe, would he really have released Beautiful World in 2013? I'd wager that the material would have been much different, but there's no value in that sort of speculation imo. Now I've come to accept and love THINFS for what it is, rather than what it isn't, and for what it represents both for the band and myself.