Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Anyone here like me? More of a Sambora fan then a fan of BJ/JBJ?

General BJ Discussion

Old 12-18-2016, 05:17 PM
Suddenly

Default Anyone here like me? More of a Sambora fan then a fan of BJ/JBJ?

I'm sure I'm a rarity in these parts but I'd rather hear RS solo than w/ JBJ singing over him again! To me, BJ wouldn't have been famous had it not been for Richie Sambora's songwriting, musicianship or singing!

"Destination Everywhere" and "This House Is Not For Sale" 110% prove that, IMHO!

No disrespect to JBJ or his fans!

Old 12-18-2016, 05:21 PM
Jovi Fan

Destination Anywhere*
Old 12-18-2016, 05:32 PM
Something for the Posts

I would say that I am a fan of the band first and foremost, particularly up to the these days period, but I always leaned more towards Richie than the other members of the band. Stranger is one of my all time favourite records by anyone ever, and If I could only ever listen to one song for the rest of my life it would be the title track. That said, I love both Blaze and Destination, but if I had to choose it would be Richie...

I'm not of the mind like some that to be a fan of Richie means I hate JBJ or vice versa, or the fact that Richie left the band means that we all need to hate him. I think that all so petty and childish to be honest...

Last edited by Thinny; 12-18-2016 at 05:41 PM..
Old 12-18-2016, 06:08 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

My story is simple and probably, in most cases, a pretty common scenario.

Bon Jovi -> Richie Sambora.

I got to know the band first. Fell in love with music. Rediscovered Richie. Fell in love all over again.

The fact that he's in fact half-Polish adds to it because I'm Polish as well. And I've more drawn to Richie's personality and the way he communicates with the world through his sense of humour, sensitivity, creativity and music. Generally, as a whole person on so many different levels.

I also appreciate Jon's insatiable drive to become the world phenomenon which he managed to pull off so *seemingly* effortlessly and other boys' talents and hard work, too. Obviously, the spirit of BJ was everybody's contribution, more or less even.

They're both so different you're instantly tempted to take sides when there's any conflict on the horizon but it's differences that make people fall for one another and it's the chemistry that glues them together. Too bad we've witnessed such a spectacular rift and had to accept something died. The worst thing is passing judgement, though. We don't know the whole truth and I doubt we ever will.

Jon has more fans, that's a fact. All frontmen have most of the fanbase under their spell. But quality and quantity are not the same thing. We are all searching for our soulmates in this world. Even if it's 'just' on the fan/idol level and it's more of our image of that person that the reality. Hell, how long can you pretend to be someone else anyway?

Love shines all the way through

BTW. If it weren't for the bad things in life, we wouldn't progress much in life. Let's hope these tough moments will teach them a lesson. I remember watching recent Axl Rose's interviews and folks are stunned how come he isn't such a pr***k anymore. They fell out for almost 2 decades! They had a lot of time to grow up.

Cheers xx
Old 12-18-2016, 07:14 PM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to ticos_stick

I prefer Hugh over everyone. His smile makes me feel funny inside.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:56 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Sorry, but it was Jon's voice that sucked me in all those years ago. Clearly his voice is not what it used to be but ultimately the band is who I am a fan of.

I used to like Richie's voice and way back his guitar playing was incredible. But his guitar playing is not what it was and neither is his voice either.

Another thing that did Richie in for me - that I cannot get passed - is the cowardly way he left the band (HIS friends). It was known that Richie didn't want to go on the next tour. So why did he sign a contract to do so and then just walk away with no notice?

There is a million page thread about that here so there is no need to go into they whys or the maybes. But just the simple fact that he did it the way he did, is terrible. I cannot respect him anymore.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

I don't understand the need for people to have to pick sides. I'm a fan of the band and support the band as a whole and all their solo projects. I don't see why people feel the need to revert to being 12 year old fangirls and have to hate Jon/Richie and take potshots at the other despite not having properly met them or know the facts.

But then that seems to be the way of the world these days, if you like one side you have to shit on the other.
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Old 12-18-2016, 09:39 PM
Jovi Fan

Default Anyone here like me? More of a Sambora fan then a fan of BJ/JBJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Sorry, but it was Jon's voice that sucked me in all those years ago. Clearly his voice is not what it used to be but ultimately the band is who I am a fan of.

I used to like Richie's voice and way back his guitar playing was incredible. But his guitar playing is not what it was and neither is his voice either.

Another thing that did Richie in for me - that I cannot get passed - is the cowardly way he left the band (HIS friends). It was known that Richie didn't want to go on the next tour. So why did he sign a contract to do so and then just walk away with no notice?

There is a million page thread about that here so there is no need to go into they whys or the maybes. But just the simple fact that he did it the way he did, is terrible. I cannot respect him anymore.

I agree completely.

I fell in love with Jon's voice on Blaze of Glory album then backtracked the band's previous albums after that - but for me 80's albums never reached the same potential.

I like Richie's solo albums, but have always hated his interviews and the 'childish' and irritating ways he replied to questions. In a way, I find interviews as a very good way how a fan can relate to an artist - i cannot say that Richie fulfilled that for me.

In conclusion, i can say that I have been a fan of Richie only through the band - with that gone i am not really interested in anything he has to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Burlhouse; 12-18-2016 at 09:47 PM..
Old 12-18-2016, 09:57 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SambookaRules View Post
I'm sure I'm a rarity in these parts but I'd rather hear RS solo than w/ JBJ singing over him again! To me, BJ wouldn't have been famous had it not been for Richie Sambora's songwriting, musicianship or singing!

"Destination Everywhere" and "This House Is Not For Sale" 110% prove that, IMHO!

No disrespect to JBJ or his fans!
You don't even know the name of the album you're bashing, how could anyone debate with you its merits and faults?
Old 12-18-2016, 11:19 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce7800 View Post
I don't understand the need for people to have to pick sides. I'm a fan of the band and support the band as a whole and all their solo projects. I don't see why people feel the need to revert to being 12 year old fangirls and have to hate Jon/Richie and take potshots at the other despite not having properly met them or know the facts...
This.

I like all kinds of music and many artists. My 'favorite' is often influenced by my mood at any given moment. That's why I don't normally participate in the ranking threads and polls. I think it's interesting to read the opinions of others; but any rating I'd personally give a particular song or album would be likely to change before I refreshed the screen!

There's no restriction on what I listen to, so why would I feel a need to choose Aerosmith over Queen, or gospel music over rock, much less choose between two members of the same band?

I don't see it as a competition. I freely admit that SITT would probably find a place among my top 5 albums of all time; but that has nothing to do with a comparison between Richie and Jon, or Richie and anyone else for that matter. I simply think it's an outstanding album that I could listen to for days without getting tired of it - much like The Best of The Eagles or Willie Nelson's Stardust.

As for their vocal ability, both Jon and Richie have given us some excellent music, together and separately. There are some BJ songs I preferred to hear Richie sing and some I think Jon did a better job on; but as far as I'm concerned the real magic is the way their voices complemented each other when they sang together.