Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

The "Screw what other people think" thread

General BJ Discussion

Old 06-09-2017, 11:32 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

I 100 percent disagree. It's impossible to think one's opinion is the only one that matters. That's not the spirit of this thread, it's about saying what you like and if you don't agree you don't agree. Everyone's opinion should be respected and to say they're trolling the board because they don't share your favourite song is a liiiiiiiiiiiittle much.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:45 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
I 100 percent disagree. It's impossible to think one's opinion is the only one that matters. That's not the spirit of this thread, it's about saying what you like and if you don't agree you don't agree. Everyone's opinion should be respected and to say they're trolling the board because they don't share your favourite song is a liiiiiiiiiiiittle much.
I figured that would be your typical response but opinions and critiquing should be stated correctly.... go on a Led Zeppelin board and post Stairway is overrated... see how far you get...

I have an issue with people stating that NSG is a prom song or a childish song... they just proves how amateur a fan they really are... It's a love song with flashbacks.... it's Drinking and Smoking... Bars and Sex... it's anything but a childish teenage song... talk the lyrics out in your head and then come back and revise your post... it's a brilliant song with great lyrics, hooks, and vocals... it's a signature Jovi song

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rdkopper; 06-09-2017 at 11:47 PM..
Old 06-09-2017, 11:58 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

I'm a troll because I don't like one song? I've been a fan for 30 years and been to over 30 concerts--which is not easy when you live in a state they have not played in for 28 years. I have approximately 300 video tapes of interviews and concerts. I have around 500 cassette tapes of interviews and concerts. I don't even know how many officially released CDs and bootleg CDs I have. There is no one who, in their right mind, would question my devotion or loyalty to this band. I've been on this board for the better part of 20 years and most of what I have to say is positive. So I don't like one song. Screw your opinion of my opinion. That is what this thread is for.

And, for the record, I love My Guitar Lies Bleeding.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:13 AM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
I figured that would be your typical response but opinions and critiquing should be stated correctly.... go on a Led Zeppelin board and post Stairway is overrated... see how far you get...

I have an issue with people stating that NSG is a prom song or a childish song... they just proves how amateur a fan they really are... It's a love song with flashbacks.... it's Drinking and Smoking... Bars and Sex... it's anything but a childish teenage song... talk the lyrics out in your head and then come back and revise your post... it's a brilliant song with great lyrics, hooks, and vocals... it's a signature Jovi song

How....amateur of a fan they are. Correct opinions? Come on, you have to be reading the things you're saying. You're not the world man, you gotta let the entitled attitude go.

EDIT: Calling Becky an amateur fan for not agreeing with you has me laughing my butt off tonight Thank you for the joy I'm going to feel all weekend.

Last edited by Captain_jovi; 06-10-2017 at 01:19 AM..
Old 06-10-2017, 01:31 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
As an adult, I find Never Say Goodbye absolutely cringe-worthy. Of course, I liked it as a kid, but now I realize how horrible it sounds musically and how bad the lyrics actually are. It's good for nostalgia, but, I can see why Jon had no intention of releasing it as a single. If I had to sing it every night, I would be embarrassed.
Lets clear up some facts...

1. Being a fan and being a troll are not relatable. Being a Troll is basically stating something just a get a rise out of people... You can still be a die-hard fan and a Troll at the same time...

2. Becky, I don't think you're a troll but you need to rethink your opinion based on your reasoning's stated above. It's all so wrong... Every piece of it.

3. NSG was never stolen from Hearts Of Stone... Jon might have been influenced by that song but he was just giving props to Bruce for writing such an amazing song... That's why Richie said "news to me"... I always took that song to be just as much as a Richie song as a Jon song... Richie laughed it off but he was somewhat like "WTF - No it wasn't". That's why he called it out twice...

4. In America, NSG was never released as an official single but it got a lot of radio airplay as if it was one and radio had much more freedom during those time. That song is more recognizable by non fans than anything this band has done in the past 15 years... So yea, technically it wasn't a single if we are talking about charted numbers however it follows the same path as IML did when it comes to radio air-play... It was a huge hit that was never an official hit...
Old 06-10-2017, 01:37 AM
The Distance

Quote:
How....amateur of a fan they are. Correct opinions? Come on, you have to be reading the things you're saying. You're not the world man, you gotta let the entitled attitude go.
Read my prior post... The facts she is using to back-up her opinion are all wrong...

She's basically implying that Jon didn't like the song hence his reasoning for not releasing it as a single... Also, the song is not date musically... It's still solid... Not to mention the voice... The Rasp with the high note at the end..

Listen to this beast - - - Read the YouTube comments: I mean come on, really?

As I sit in this smokey room
The night about to end
I pass my time with strangers
But this bottle's my only friend

Remember when we used to park
On Butler Street out in the dark
Remember when we lost the keys
And you lost more than that in my backseat baby

Remember how we used to talk
About busting out - we'd break their hearts
Together - forever

Never say goodbye, never say goodbye
You and me and my old friends
Hoping it would never end
Say goodbye, never say goodbye
Holdin' on - we got to try
Holdin' on to never say goodbye

Remember days of skipping school
Racing cars and being cool
With a six pack and the radio
We didn't need no place to go

Remember at the prom that night
You and me we had a fight
But the band they played our favorite song
And I held you in my arms so strong

We danced so close
We danced so slow
And I swore I'd never let you go
Together - forever

I guess you'd say we used to talk
About busting out
We'd break their hearts
Together - forever

yeah yeah
Old 06-10-2017, 01:42 AM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Read my prior post... The facts she is using to back-up her opinion are all wrong...

She's basically implying that Jon didn't like the song hence his reasoning for not releasing it as a single... Also, the song is not date musically... It's still solid... Not to mention the voice... The Rasp with the high note at the end..

Bon Jovi - Never Say Goodbye - YouTube

As I sit in this smokey room
The night about to end
I pass my time with strangers
But this bottle's my only friend

Remember when we used to park
On Butler Street out in the dark
Remember when we lost the keys
And you lost more than that in my backseat baby

Remember how we used to talk
About busting out - we'd break their hearts
Together - forever

Remember days of skipping school
Racing cars and being cool
With a six pack and the radio
We didn't need no place to go

Remember at the prom that night
You and me we had a fight
But the band they played our favorite song
And I held you in my arms so strong

We danced so close
We danced so slow
And I swore I'd never let you go
Together - forever

I guess you'd say we used to talk
About busting out
We'd break their hearts
Together - forever

yeah yeah
"I'm all for different generations liking different things for different reasons but if you're a Bon Jovi fan there are some standards and not liking Never Say Goodbye isn't one of them."

You're using your love of one song to put down another fan's opinion. On a thread about saying your opinion without getting told you're wrong. It's out of place, condescending and just weirdly confrontational. This isn't me not reading your previous post and I did. You have an opinion and it's one people share with you but it holds no more weight than someone hating a song you love and vice versa.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:51 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

I'm not stating anything about NSG to get a rise out of anyone. The whole point of this thread is that we don't all agree with the majority. Most everyone seems to hate Welcome to Wherever You Are and one of the first things I said was I love it. Saying I dislike NSG is no different than my saying how much I hate WWBTF and that if I could remove one song from their body of work, it would be WWBTF so I would never have to hear it again. It's just an opinion of a song. You don't have to love everything to be a fan. Who Says wa a verifiable hit that brought many fans back to the band and put them in the record book as first rock band with a country #1 and plenty of people hate it. Should it not be revered as well by your logic? Taste can change and I outgrew NSG. I still consider myself lucky to have seen it live in St. Louis in 2000. I appreciate that it's a rarity live and it was a special moment. But I don't want to listen to it on the radio. Not a big deal at all.

Opinions about music are not facts. You think it's great. That doesn't make it a fact any more than me thinking it's annoying is a fact. Also I am aware that it wa not a single. I already said that when I said that I could see why Jon had no intention of releasing it.
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
People are allowed to have different opinions. Bad Medicine is one of the band's biggest hits yet there are plenty of fans who don't care for it, this is no different.

Yes, it is one of the band's trademark 80s songs, but that doesn't mean you're not a true fan if you don't like it.
The Distance

Quote:
"I'm all for different generations liking different things for different reasons but if you're a Bon Jovi fan there are some standards and not liking Never Say Goodbye isn't one of them."

You're using your love of one song to put down another fan's opinion. On a thread about saying your opinion without getting told you're wrong. It's out of place, condescending and just weirdly confrontational. This isn't me not reading your previous post and I did. You have an opinion and it's one people share with you but it holds no more weight than someone hating a song you love and vice versa.
Your too stuck on the word 'opinion'... It's one of the greatest rock ballads of all time by your favorite band... and then you trash it... I mean come one... it's just so off the wall and off the charts... that's like someone posting their opinion stating that 'Shit Smells Good'... you could state it but it doesn't mean that I have to accept it...