Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Crappy royalties: $110 for 6 million plays

General BJ Discussion

Old 11-08-2015, 07:16 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Default Crappy royalties: $110 for 6 million plays

Songwriters’ income is also shrinking with the growth of music streaming services. Child notes that he and co-authors Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora recently got a check for $110 for six million plays of the Bon Jovi hit Livin On a Prayer on Pandora.

“We are constantly fighting the tech companies,” Child says. “They’re making money with wall to wall music we created … and we get such little royalties. It’s just not fair.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/entertain...#storylink=cpy

Old 11-08-2015, 07:30 PM
Something for the Posts

They should split the income straight down the middle, like the madams do.

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 11-08-2015 at 08:11 PM..
Old 11-08-2015, 08:19 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
...Child notes that he and co-authors Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora recently got a check for $110 for six million plays of the
Good.

A few more plays of a few more hits and maybe Richie can fund himself and finally finish this album.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

I wonder if that was $110 that they had to split among them or $110 each?
Old 11-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I wonder if that was $110 that they had to split among them or $110 each?
option #1
Quote:
My own song “Livin’ On A Prayer” performed by Bon Jovi got 6.5 million plays on Pandora in the first quarter of 2012 and made me and my co-writers $110 to share between us and our publishers.
http://www.justice.gov/sites/default.../13/307591.pdf

BTW, it's very old news, Child's quote has been regularly used in different articles over the years since 2012!

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2014...rslegislation/

Quote:
"We could each buy a pizza," said Child, an inductee in the Songwriters Hall of Fame who has worked with artists ranging from Aerosmith and Kiss to Ricky Martin and Cher. "A large pizza."
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/12/te...pay-musicians/
Old 11-08-2015, 09:26 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Joysey View Post

BTW, it's very old news, Child's quote has been regularly used in different articles over the years since 2012!

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2014...rslegislation/

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/12/te...pay-musicians/
I imagine it's even less now, as Spotify has ballooned since then and they're known for being cheap with royalties as well.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:11 AM
These Days

How much Spotify plays is completely transparent, and it's not few IMO.

Thing is, that the label keeps a piece of the revenue, then the artist and others songwriters keep another piece, he only keeps his part. He would be making more money if he was writing his own hits, without others co-writers, without a label.

Also, 110 USD is little money, but this is in only two months (January to March), and only one song! Other thing to keep in mind is that I play in Spotify a lot of records I already own or have on my phone, just to use the service and contribute, so I'm even "paying" for something I shouldn't have to, as I already bought.

Streaming is great, helps people to have the music they want where they want, it reduced piracy to almost zero in some countries, helped to make some artist known, helps with the charts, and it even gives some revenues. They need to embrace it, is the best massive way to promote your music available.

(+ Santiago 09/24/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/26/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/16/2017)
These Days!

Last edited by ezearis; 11-09-2015 at 05:16 AM..
Old 11-09-2015, 05:50 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezearis View Post
Streaming is great, helps people to have the music they want where they want, it reduced piracy to almost zero in some countries, helped to make some artist known, helps with the charts, and it even gives some revenues. They need to embrace it, is the best massive way to promote your music available.
+1

And more often than not, if there's an album that I've really enjoyed listening to on Spotify, I'll go out and buy it physically. Having said that, you'd hope that there'd be a more reasonable split in favour of the songwriters and artists - without them there's no Spotify, Pandora etc..
Old 11-10-2015, 03:11 PM
It's my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezearis
Also, 110 USD is little money, but this is in only two months (January to March), and only one song! Other thing to keep in mind is that I play in Spotify a lot of records I already own or have on my phone, just to use the service and contribute, so I'm even "paying" for something I shouldn't have to, as I already bought.

What absolute rubbish! Creatives in every field ultimately always get shafted. Saying $110 is fair remittance for a few months worth of streams for one song is a joke. The track is one of the biggest hits of the 80s and only rakes in $110 for it's creators?!? You couldn't live off that so how do the tens/hundreds of thousands of lesser known artists who don't have a catalogue of huge anthems to their names get anything out of this other than bent over? It might be useful for a handful who aren't well known and suddenly get 'found' but most don't fall into this category and never will.

People are so quick to claim that the 'exposure' is great and will have knock on effects for their paid sales but again, in most instances, they simply don't. The 'exposure' bullshit is plastered everywhere when somebody wants something for nothing, and it's about time artists of every genre start putting their foot down and demanding fair value for their product that everyone is so quick to undermine.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Runaway

Most of the songwriters and composers are really two-faced. From this band also when they release something they talk about how the stories they've written become people's and how they touch people's lifes and give them hope and strength so and so. That's the "sincerity" I see when they (not just bon jovi any mainstream commercial musician/band) promote something, they try so hard to make you buy that album with all those rubbish statements, make you believe that there's something in that music that will give you a fresh unique perspective and a good feeling. You don't want to listen to is just because you've been following that band 10/20/30/40 years.

If you're going to create a nice music all you need is a pure intention for enjoying your participation for creating something nice and high, i don't think people crying out for not making enough millions right now, created their musics in that way otherwise they would believe in the "hold on" lie they've been telling for at least 30 years. You've got a hold to what you got even if it's 110 or 110million

Last edited by micro cuts; 11-12-2015 at 09:53 AM..