Home Register Members FAQ

Jimi Hendrix: "'Scuse me while I kiss this stamp"

Other Bands

Old 03-14-2014, 01:47 AM
Something for the Posts

Default Jimi Hendrix: "'Scuse me while I kiss this stamp"

United States Postal Service pays tribute to Jimi Hendrix

Quote:
The U.S. Postal Service is paying tribute to one of rock and roll’s most legendary figures with the latest in the line of the ‘Forever’ stamps. For a mere 49 cents, you can paste Jimi Hendrix on your next piece of mail.

With psychedelic artwork by artist Rudy Gutierrez, Hendrix is pictured with Stratocaster in hand, and donning his iconic military jacket. Beginning today (March 13), the Jimi Hendrix ‘Forever’ stamp is available at post offices, on the U.S. Postal Service website, and eBay...

Hendrix joins an illustrious batch of musicians already featured on the Forever stamp, including Johnny Cash and Ray Charles. Janis Joplin and James Brown are on the list of forthcoming stamps in this series. The stamp will have its official public viewing today at the South By Southwest music festival in Austin, during an all-star concert curated by the MC5′s Wayne Kramer.

“To have them honor a contemporary and a great artist is like a small step in the right direction,” Kramer told Billboard, “So I want to encourage that. I want put on a show that makes them feel good about embracing popular culture.” The concert features the Doors’ Robby Krieger, Slash, Rusty Anderson of Paul McCartney‘s band, Doug Pinnick of King’s X, and former Blasters Dave and Phil Alvin, among others.

“The honor of the stamp really comes from the lost art of letter-writing,” Hendrix Family rep Janie Hendrix told USA Today, “While Jimi was in the Army, he wrote these wonderful postcards and letters to my dad. There’s something about handwriting a letter that gives a sense of intimacy.”
No doubt Richie will be stocking up on them, LOL
http://youtu.be/VOssGKJE7ms

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 03-18-2014 at 06:20 PM..

Old 05-30-2016, 02:53 AM
Something for the Posts

Royal Mail marks Pink Floyd's 50th anniversary

A new set of stamps is being issued to honour Pink Floyd, featuring some of the band’s best known album covers.

The 10 stamps will mark 50 years since the group turned professional, and will include album covers such as The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, The Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here.

Some of the stamps will celebrate the band’s live performances, which broke new ground with extensive use of lights and film projections. The images will portray Pink Floyd’s psychedelic light shows and the staging of their The Wall album

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 05-30-2016 at 07:14 AM..