Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Falling for 'Lost Highway' again

General BJ Discussion

Old 09-26-2016, 09:27 AM
Born to be my Baby

Default Falling for 'Lost Highway' again

My year long partner says who the hell is that you are listening to?

Eh Bon Jovi! She says whaaa! Unreal love that ! Played her whole album

Till we ain't strangers really got her and one step closer. Liked any other, summertime, and broken. No surprise

It's funny how after so long you hear something and think damn! that was such a fantastic album

They really nailed it here

Ten years now nearly 😱

Old 09-26-2016, 09:34 AM
These Days

Yup.

3rd best album (behind TD and NJ) they have ever done in my personal rankings. It doesn't have the depth of Dry County or the power of Prayer/IML, but it has consistency, organic instruments, and quality songwriting from start to finish.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:19 AM
Price of posting

Like the first half.
2nd half i dont listen too but i do love the bonus songs.
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 09-26-2016, 12:09 PM
Livin' on a Post

I agree that it is their best post 2000 album. Has some songs that sound almost as genuine and .. how to say this.. direct/heartfelt ... also instrumentally transparent as their 90s work.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:12 PM
Keep the Faith

Lost Highway was/is a Masterpiece.. i really like the Live Album release for the Tour...but the European Tour 2008 wasn´t their best.. compared to 2011

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoergVeselka
BON JOVI 19.06 / 20.06.2010 LONDON O2 ARENA = I´M THERE
Old 09-26-2016, 01:43 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDJOVIMAN View Post
Lost Highway was/is a Masterpiece.. i really like the Live Album release for the Tour...but the European Tour 2008 wasn´t their best.. compared to 2011
Come on, it was their 2nd best tour since 2001. Compared to HAND tour (from the setlist and vocal standpoints) it was like a renaissance for the band.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:17 PM
Jovi Addict

I always admired the slow built-up of Make a Memory, here it is with no vocals:

Also, it's pretty cool for late September, don't you think?
Hit the sunrise, scared the daylight out of me...
Old 09-27-2016, 02:26 AM
Jovi Freak

Yep, I love Lost Highway, and I think it is getting better with age. I see more and more fans liking it as time goes on. Much better reception from the fan base now than when it was released.

Whole Lot of Leavin' is a gem. It's my 3rd favourite song by the band, ever (behind Prayer and ITA).

When it was first released, I could not stop listening to We Got It Going On. Yeah it's cheesy, but it's the typical throw-away fun track that Jovi have been doing since the 80s.

Make a Memory is pure bliss, and the lyric to The Last Night, particularly in the verses, is among my favourite from the band. Also, the three bonus tracks are so dam good (especially Lonely).

I can even enjoy the weaker tracks if I'm in the mood, mainly Everybody's Broken and One Step Closer.

It's a strong album commercially, musically and lyrically. My only gripe with it is the amount of songs that got played live after the LH tour had finished. As much as I love WLOL, and as much as I enjoy WGIGO, they do not deserve a permanent spot on the base set list.

Perth - January 25, 2008
Perth - December 8, 2010
Sydney - December 17, 2010
Sydney - December 19, 2010 (I Believe!!!)

East Rutherford - July 25, 2013
Melbourne - December 7, 2013
Melbourne - December 8, 2013
Perth - December 12, 2013

Sydney - December 8, 2018
Old 09-27-2016, 07:27 AM
Jovi FANatic

I think of LH more as the beginning of the end of my favorite rock band. It was good... not great. 7/10. It felt rushed and for that reason, it felt uninspired. They were taking the next step to maintain mainstream commercial success after the success of WSYCGH. It was the safe move.

It was a great tour. MAM was their last great single... fantastic song! Beautiful, subtle, inspired (despite what I said about the album in general above), completely different from anything they had done before. The album has a few other pretty good songs. But it also has more Bon Jovi songs I strongly dislike compared to any Jovi album since before Slippery.

LH was the first album that felt like "JBJ with special guest Bon Jovi". We know Sambora was a part of this record but I don't hear his contributions like I do on their albums before LH. And that's the biggie for me. Bon Jovi at their best has always been about Jon and Richie - 50/50. Jon's vocal abilities and Richie's accompaniment, their harmonies, and how they could make their music and lyrics come alive.

LH has it's share of good songs (as does every album since) and I'm glad to have them, but I don't think it's a great Bon Jovi album.

I drove all night down streets that wouldn't bend
But somehow they drove me back here once again...
Old 09-27-2016, 05:52 PM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to Panda

Lost Highway is the only album written in the last 15 years that I even am remotely interested in. I don't understand the comments on lack of inspiration or being uninspired or anything like that. I really think Jon genuinely loves this album. It's why every setlist every night gets at least 3 or 4 songs from that album, still.

And to be honest, I see Richie all through the album.

I see songs about pain, realness, suffering and longing. I also see songs about joy and happiness. There's emotion leaked through it, whether you like the style of music or not.

Now we get the biggest load of bullshit where Jon keeps singing about the economy. What a load of shit. Thanks, Jon.