Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Let's rate: THINFS, the abum

New Bon Jovi Releases

View Poll Results: Your rating for This House Is Not For Sale (the album)
10 9 12.16%
9 26 35.14%
8 21 28.38%
7 8 10.81%
6 1 1.35%
5 2 2.70%
4 4 5.41%
3 1 1.35%
2 1 1.35%
1 1 1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2016, 06:42 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

After 2 listens (don't know if I'll be able to listen to it again all the way through ): 4
Up until Labour of Love, I was pretty psyched on the first run, but then it got very boring. Few thoughts:
- Lots of 'Story of my life' pop-rock junk type songs (in Jon's words). They aren't bad if you like that type of song, I agree with Last Man Standing Jon
- There is not one outstanding song. We don't run is the best IMO. Personally I found 2 or 3 on WAN, but then again I love Jon's acoustic songs. At least we had IWY, which we would all agree on.
- Lots of medio-tempo Bounce-like songs. First time round was enough..
- The only 'something different' factor can be found on We don't run and Born Again Tomorrow (sound-wise).
- A lot of lazy Shanks guitar work. Burning Bridges had some great work...what happened
- Brilliant Born Again Tomorrow solo by Phil. A few other highlights cut short guitar-wise.
- Same old simplistic lyrics, don't see where people are getting the vibes from .

It could actually be the first time I don't buy a Jovi record and the first time I don't go and see them live if they come to Spain.

Hope I change my mind

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Old 10-28-2016, 07:53 PM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to ticos_stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalJez View Post

See, Knockout, Born Again Tomorrow - they're two low points but they're at least partly saved by Phil. Much in the way Richie sort of saved Because We Can. I just wonder if Phil was allowed in Temple, Scars and Mess... I'm not bemoaning Richie's absence as such, but previous Jovi almost every song allowed for a Richie interlude whether the song called for it or not, on THINFS we seem to be avoiding that at all costs. Except on the weaker songs. Temple + a very short Phil solo = pure gold. It's no turd as it is, I ****ing love it but it just took a short stroke to perfect it and that's missing.
I totally agree with devils in the temple. The song picked up a lot of momentum and then it just stops.

I'm betting there are two versions, one with an extended solo on the outro. Maybe Jon decided he didn't want to go down that route on this album but for this song an outro solo would have made it an instant classic IMO.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:55 PM
Breakout

Gave it a 9. Wanted to give it a 10 but then I asked myself: "can i say this album is perfect?" Def not, the studio version of Roller Coaster chorus killed it for me =(, same as some production elements (robotic voices for example).

Now, if I could rate the Palladium show version izar shared, including Jon talking to the audience, the interaction with Tico, David and the others, the emotion in songs like LWTG, the sound of the drums in BAT and NYD, the big choruses in WDR, second solo for THINFS..... pff thats a mother f#$%#^ing 20 for me!
Old 10-28-2016, 08:15 PM
Just posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchb2000 View Post
same as some production elements (robotic voices for example).
Are you referring to I Will Drive You Home?

I think the song sounded a lot like some of the tracks off the Drive soundtrack. Some of the songs feature that robotic voice. It felt like a homage to it and I thought it was a nice touch.

https://youtu.be/MV_3Dpw-BRY

Last edited by ticos_stick; 10-28-2016 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: I
Old 10-28-2016, 08:31 PM
Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticos_stick View Post
Are you referring to I Will Drive You Home?

I think the song sounded a lot like some of the tracks off the Drive soundtrack. Some of the songs feature that robotic voice. It felt like a homage to it and I thought it was a nice touch.

https://youtu.be/MV_3Dpw-BRY
Oh i was mostly talking about the robotic auto tune effect. Like some parts in Roller Coaster and Knockout (mb some parts of BAT too). I love all those songs, just wished they would have sounded more natural.... like the live versions.

"I will drive you home" didnt bother me cuz I felt it was the effect they were looking for, while the ones mentioned above sounded like trying to disguise something. The songs sounded beautiful live imo, with nothing to hide.

However, I did not know about the Drive soundtrack, now I am curious about it lol. Thank you for teaching me something today haha!
Old 10-28-2016, 08:32 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige

I've given it a 7. I couldn't begin to compare it to the holy quadrilogy of SWW/NJ/KTF/TD but I feel comfortable rating it as highly as Crush and LH after the first few listens.
It's a million times better than WAN.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:38 PM
Jovi Freak

(Wrong thread, sorry)
Old 10-28-2016, 08:39 PM
Just posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchb2000 View Post
Oh i was mostly talking about the robotic auto tune effect. Like some parts in Roller Coaster and Knockout (mb some parts of BAT too). I love all those songs, just wished they would have sounded more natural.... like the live versions.

"I will drive you home" didnt bother me cuz I felt it was the effect they were looking for, while the ones mentioned above sounded like trying to disguise something. The songs sounded beautiful live imo, with nothing to hide.

However, I did not know about the Drive soundtrack, now I am curious about it lol. Thank you for teaching me something today haha!
Haha, I see what you mean now.

The Drive soundtrack is great. If you like the movie it's a perfect partner to it.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:57 PM
Banned User
Next 100 Posts

A 4 is the best I could give this album. Mediocre middle of the road pop songs, a band trying to chase trends doing EDM (in an awful way) and just one (!) outstanding song with "Living with the ghost" (which also got ruined by this god awful pop production). The rest is good (Devil in The Temple/Reunion/COme on Up.../New Years Day) to bloody awful (Jon Bon Pink on "Rollercoster)
Old 10-29-2016, 05:47 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwired_70 View Post
A 4 is the best I could give this album. Mediocre middle of the road pop songs, a band trying to chase trends doing EDM (in an awful way) and just one (!) outstanding song with "Living with the ghost" (which also got ruined by this god awful pop production). The rest is good (Devil in The Temple/Reunion/COme on Up.../New Years Day) to bloody awful (Jon Bon Pink on "Rollercoster)

I don't get why people like Temple. It's this albums 'trying to be heavy' song. A bit like bullet but with lazy guitar work (like most of the album unfortunately). It's nothing like Fear

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk