Home Register Members FAQ

Richie - Front & Center interview

General BJ Discussion

Old 12-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post

You are kind of contradicting yourself on here anyway. You are saying that the only reason why Max got credit is because he was in the studio and then you say that it screams Backstreet Boys so he definitely wrote it.
No, JON said that Max got credit just for being in the room. And listen to Larger Than Life by the Backstreet Boys from the same writer around the same time and compare it to It's My Life. He may not have done anything lyrically, but the musical similarities on those songs are pretty easy for anyone to hear as you could pretty much play the lyrics for either over the music to the other.
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*

Old 12-20-2014, 01:10 PM
Jovi FANatic

i ve read there was a big dispute about how the song should be produced between jon and martin. jons version ended up in the album but when max martin was asked if he was wrong he stayed his ground and said if bj had done the song his way it was gonna be even bigger a single...who knows?
in this occasion i believe jon, jon likes writing with other composers and he mentions them in almost every occasion, in this occasion jon probably overstated this because he didnt want everyone to assume it wasnt their song...the guys have proved they are good songwriters, wanted is an excellent example...many people try to put down their skills without no proof...max martin probably helped desmond proved himself repeatedly to be asked back again and again but its my life was sth new and fresh mostly production and arrangment wise, it was simpler and to the point, it was nt sth they couldnt nail...
ps. i ve read somewhere a jons interview where he said the opening riff for blaze of glory was written by aldo nova but was not gonna give him a writing credit cause blaze was his song...and i find it fair in a way, what i dont find fair is dry county having only one credited writer, jon and not richie...anyway...
the song credentials are big discussion...one from u2...lyrics bono, music u2...while the band has stated that the guitar riff was daniels lanois, not the chords the riff...in a way every bands set its rules based on their own ways, profile, status etc
Old 12-20-2014, 01:52 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
You are kind of contradicting yourself on here anyway. You are saying that the only reason why Max got credit is because he was in the studio and then you say that it screams Backstreet Boys so he definitely wrote it.
No, I never wrote that, not even close! I'll repeat myself: you're a desperate case! Learn to read and think before you post or else you just make yourself look plain stupid or like a troll...
Old 12-20-2014, 02:25 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos greece View Post
in this occasion i believe jon, jon likes writing with other composers and he mentions them in almost every occasion, in this occasion jon probably overstated this because he didnt want everyone to assume it wasnt their song...the guys have proved they are good songwriters, wanted is an excellent example...many people try to put down their skills without no proof..
errrr... Jon never says he co-wrote his first hit "Runaway"...

To make things clear for everybody, please let me explain my point: I never said Jon & Richie sucked as songwriters, I only underlined the true fact that their major hits were co-written with an outside songwriter. There's no shame about it, it's common practice and who says a band has to write their material alone?!

Here we're talking about commercial success/sales, not about artistic quality. Sometimes the two overlap, sometimes they don't, no big deal!
For example I think that many songs co-written by Richie for his solo albums are very beautifully written but they didn't have much commercial success. It's sad but it doesn't mean that the songs suck. The same with Jon's except that I'm really tired of his formula (his "life is tough but I'm strong and I'll make it through with you" and the likes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos greece View Post
the song credentials are big discussion...one from u2...lyrics bono, music u2...while the band has stated that the guitar riff was daniels lanois, not the chords the riff...in a way every bands set its rules based on their own ways, profile, status etc
At their beginning, the 4 U2 boys decided that they'd equally share the credits for all their songs no matter who really wrote them because they were friends, they were a garage band and they wanted the public to see them as such: a bunch of friends making it in the music business.
And on the economic level, they wanted to equally share their earnings or else Bono and Edge who write most of the songs would have been a lot richer than Adam and Larry who don't. Because they are smart and clever and know that money is the main source of conflict, frustration coming from the difference in earnings is what causes a split-up in most cases...
Old 12-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Joysey View Post
No, I never wrote that, not even close! I'll repeat myself: you're a desperate case! Learn to read and think before you post or else you just make yourself look plain stupid or like a troll...
I'll quote you here cause I can't be bothered to go back a page. Anyway, I misundertood what you was saying, I thought you were saying Jon was in the studio no Max Martin, I retract what I said. As for the song, if has his (Martin's) production style for sure, but there is plenty of Jovi in it too.

I think all had a part to play, but I think Martin helped with the lyrics too. A Classic Rock Magazine from maybe 2000/2001 discussed this and Jon said something about one of the lyrics in It's My Life (I forget which one) and said (paraphrasing), "you have to give the kid credit, he did well".
Old 12-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlookin View Post
I'll quote you here cause I can't be bothered to go back a page. Anyway, I misundertood what you was saying, I thought you were saying Jon was in the studio no Max Martin, I retract what I said.
Yes, obviously! But no problem, no drama! You did so because you commented upon Rdkopper's post who tends to understand the exact opposite of whatever I say/write.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:32 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Yes, obviously! But no problem, no drama! You did so because you commented upon Rdkopper's post who tends to understand the exact opposite of whatever I say/write.
It's not that I understand the opposite, I just know the facts. Regardless of what you meant about Max being in the studio and me thinking you meant Bon Jovi was in the studio has very little to do with the point you were trying to make which you continue to ignore and fail to address.

You were trying to imply that Desmond and Max wrote all the hits and Jon just put his name on the credits. You acted like you had some proof of all that... Jon in the 80s and 90s was a true artist in all crafts. He was a brilliant writer, producer, singer, and musician. You could make a greatest hits out of songs that Jon wrote himself and another one from songs that Jon and Richie wrote together.

Nothing has ever been stated about the levels of writing Jon added to a song in comparison to what outside writers added.

And that was your initial point which I understood clearly and still believe it's complete garbage.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:12 PM
The Distance

Quote:

To make things clear for everybody, please let me explain my point: I never said Jon & Richie sucked as songwriters, I only underlined the true fact that their major hits were co-written with an outside songwriter. There's no shame about it, it's common practice and who says a band has to write their material alone?!

Here we're talking about commercial success/sales, not about artistic quality. Sometimes the two overlap, sometimes they don't, no big deal!
WHAT!!!!! OH COME ON BRO

Wanted
BOR
Dry County
Always
Lay Your Hands On Me
I'll Be There For You
Living In Sin
Blaze
Never Say Goodbye
These Days
Hey God
Thank You For Loving Me

To name a few
Old 12-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Posting Always

Note to self: don't feed the troll.

When you translate my "major (hits)" into "all" and my "CO-written" into "Desmond and Max wrote all the hits" to underline just 2 of your nonsense comments, it's clear you don't understand anything and thus it's impossible to communicate with you and have an adult conversation. Your problem, not mine, "bro". Have a nice day!

http://www.ask.com/wiki/List_of_song...apn&ap=ask.com
Old 12-20-2014, 06:00 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Note to self: don't feed the troll.

When you translate my "major (hits)" into "all" and my "CO-written" into "Desmond and Max wrote all the hits" to underline just 2 of your nonsense comments, it's clear you don't understand anything and thus it's impossible to communicate with you and have an adult conversation. Your problem, not mine, "bro". Have a nice day!

http://www.ask.com/wiki/List_of_song...apn&ap=ask.com
You are all over the place and keep contradicting yourself. I just listed major hits that Jon and Richie wrote with outside writers so I don't know how or why you consider that trolling... Those are major hits released as singles and there are probably more that I forgot to include... If you want me to list all songs on all albums then multiply those numbers by 10

BTY, here is your initial statement which is complete BS and you trying to discredit them as writers...

"The funniest part is that their major hits were co-written with hit-maker/spin doctor Desmond Child. Jon's and Richie's parts in the writing process were minimal and yet... And Max Martin? Jon has always said that he just happened to be in the studio"

Half their hits were written with Jon and Richie and half with Desmond (and other outside writers). Half their album fillers were written with Jon and Richie and half with Desmond (and other outside writers). Considering that Jon and Richie wrote hits on their own and their co-written hits sound similar, I would guess that they have a heavy hand in the writing process. I think Desmond added hooks and some lyrics but the bulk was a joint effort.

Stop making crap up and be factual. If you don't know but think you have an idea or an opinion, state that. But don't make statements like "their major hits were co-written with hit-maker/spin doctor Desmond Child. Jon's and Richie's parts in the writing process were minimal and yet" without any proof

Last edited by Rdkopper; 12-20-2014 at 06:10 PM..