Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

RS - TOKYO, Summer Sonic 17.08.14

Tour Discussion

Old 08-30-2014, 10:40 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticos_stick View Post
Yeah, it's obviously your opinion. A nonsense opinion.
Yeah whatever

Old 08-31-2014, 11:26 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIks from Finland View Post
Have you been at any of Richie's gigs on this tour? Cause this is very typical performance from the band. Nor Richie or Ori knows when or what should they sing. Richie's trademark: he doesn't know how to start a sentence. For me it's not the worst, it's bad but typical.
Been to any of the shows? No. Seen the recordings? Yes. To see him completely butcher a solo that he has played flawlessly for 28 years? Come on!
Old 08-31-2014, 02:21 PM
It's my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Been to any of the shows? No. Seen the recordings? Yes. To see him completely butcher a solo that he has played flawlessly for 28 years? Come on!
Butcher the solo? I think not.

Made a mistake and saved it. Do you play live at all? If you did, you might understand that this shit happens and tends to happen more often if you're less comfortable as well. Considering this was a new rendition of Prayer for them, they're bound to be less comfortable with it.

I highly doubt this is the first time he's fluffed some notes in this particular solo as well.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:51 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS8MB0R8 View Post
Butcher the solo? I think not.

Made a mistake and saved it. Do you play live at all? If you did, you might understand that this shit happens and tends to happen more often if you're less comfortable as well. Considering this was a new rendition of Prayer for them, they're bound to be less comfortable with it.

I highly doubt this is the first time he's fluffed some notes in this particular solo as well.
Fair points but at the end of the day, new rendition or not, it's still Prayer at it's core in the same key with the same notes in the solo. You'd think something like that would be muscle memory after this many years.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:16 PM
It's my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Fair points but at the end of the day, new rendition or not, it's still Prayer at it's core in the same key with the same notes in the solo. You'd think something like that would be muscle memory after this many years.
I can see the argument that he shouldn't be making mistakes on something so straightforward but it does happen - he's only human.

Complacency is also how many mistakes come about. He's been playing it for decades and was probably not concentrating on it as much as he should have been. It just seems like one more over-reaction to say that he 'butchered' the solo though. I reserve that sort of terminology for Bandiera's attempts tbh.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:39 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS8MB0R8 View Post
I can see the argument that he shouldn't be making mistakes on something so straightforward but it does happen - he's only human.

Complacency is also how many mistakes come about. He's been playing it for decades and was probably not concentrating on it as much as he should have been. It just seems like one more over-reaction to say that he 'butchered' the solo though. I reserve that sort of terminology for Bandiera's attempts tbh.
Agreed with Bandiera's one note-wonders. Richie probably lost his train of thought and slipped up, but I still think something's wrong with the guy. The amount of bum notes and slip-ups increases every year. He used to be such a fluid and proficient player but he's mumbling his way through lyrics now, dropping words and forgetting licks completely. I'm kind of worried about the guy.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:05 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Agreed with Bandiera's one note-wonders. Richie probably lost his train of thought and slipped up, but I still think something's wrong with the guy. The amount of bum notes and slip-ups increases every year. He used to be such a fluid and proficient player but he's mumbling his way through lyrics now, dropping words and forgetting licks completely. I'm kind of worried about the guy.
When seeing videos of Richie of the past few years I started wondering the same thing. I think people who don't play guitar will realize how sloppy he really is, but also won't notice how odd his mistakes are. It's not a matter of him just not being able to play as fast anymore, or hitting the odd bum note. It's really basic mistakes that don't make sense at all, and hitting bum notes that don't make sense, if you know what I mean?

I talked about this with Thierry as well, both kind of agreeing that there's more wrong with Richie than just substance abuse. When looking at Richie's "symptoms" (And I don't really like playing doctor), I've been thinking he's got Alzheimer's decease, or another dementia related illness. His lack of focus, poor judgement, slurring words when he speaks, change in behavior and incapability of just playing any song without error all leads me to believe it's more than him being a **** up.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 08-31-2014, 06:35 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Agree. Don't know if quite as far as Supersonic feels but something is just not right. To me, Richie was never the "brains" of the organization and now it appears the only people around him are on his payroll - so everyone will kiss A. You can't even post a remotely negative remark anywhere but here and not be jumped or deleted by his minions. I don't think it's healthy to live in a bubble. I've thought before he is thinking with the little head and it has no ears, eyes or brain. :"God gave men a penis and a brain but only enough blood to run one at a time" Robin Williams:

I think he is back on the bottle, I fought it but seems too many comments and videos from people who have nothing to gain. As to the dementia theory? Possible? I will add my experience. My mother was a raging alcoholic and I remember vividly her brain scans. It looked like someone who had severe acne scars and was alcohol induced dementia. It is real. It can be improved but takes at least 7 years of sobriety - she died, and never improved even after being placed in a rest home. She managed to have someone sneak alcohol into there. I have 4 decades of experience. I recognize enablers and manipulators a mile away and Richie seems to have a few.

He was and still should be one of the best but for some reason, especially in the past year, he is not. I'm concerned too.

I know, off topic - back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited by golittleperson; 08-31-2014 at 06:38 PM..
Old 08-31-2014, 09:00 PM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to ticos_stick

I think he's just heavily into his booze and drugs. He's gone through stages since the HAND tour where he's been either boozed up or sober and it's always clear to see. At the moment he's been off the wagon for a long time and what's worrying is that he's surrounded by enablers. Half the people working on his tour looked out of it. In Bon Jovi he had a boss, now he doesn't. Lets hope his wake up call isn't an over dose or liver damage but with substance abusers going cold turkey is the last option.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:28 AM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

I talked about this with Thierry as well, both kind of agreeing that there's more wrong with Richie than just substance abuse. When looking at Richie's "symptoms" (And I don't really like playing doctor), I've been thinking he's got Alzheimer's decease, or another dementia related illness. His lack of focus, poor judgement, slurring words when he speaks, change in behavior and incapability of just playing any song without error all leads me to believe it's more than him being a **** up.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
That's an interesting theory. I have been thinking about this for a while and I still can't make out whether his on-stage sloppiness is due to him just not picking up a guitar when he is not touring or some other condition. I would tend towards the fomer:

I believe Richie has the same issue with his playing than Jon has with his voice. Both are fairly terrible and rusty for the first few shows of any given tour leg (due to them not practicing during their time off) but improve progressively with the number of shows under their belt. However, Richie has been playing relatively short legs recently and therefore his playing has been constantly below the level he had once BJ had the fist 10 shows of a leg under their belt (similar to Jon's pipes which, on recent tours, always needed 20 shows to reach acceptable levels but by then the legs was almost over and he started from scratch a few weeks later when the next leg began).

Then again there is this: While Richie is obviously still learning his chops as a frontman, I am amazed at the varying levels of his on-stage confidence. There is a clip of Rosie from the Fonda Theatre show in November 2012. He looks so much at ease (and peace) with himself here and comes across really naturally.

But then I went and saw him here in Dublin this summer and he seemed incredibly insecure, mumbled his way through certain songs and, as a result, completely overdid his playing and singing parts and constantly showed off to get some kind of appreciation from the crowd (who were eating out of the palm of his hand anyway).

Finally, a question to ponder: Does anybody think that Richie's recently discovered fondness of on-stage improvising and jamming is, in part, due to the fact that he himself has realized, over the course of the last 5 years, that he is no longer able to accurately remember 20+ songs on any given night?