Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

the way I see TLFR

General BJ Discussion

Old 11-07-2003, 07:41 AM
Hardest Part is the Night

Default the way I see TLFR

Pretty much two out of three people on here seem to hate or dislike in some way this new album. That's all fair enough but I don't really think it should really matter whether people like it or not.

This album isn't really a new album for the band. I see it as more of a bonus album (considering it came out of nowhere and was made in just over three weeks). It's a new take on old songs but in a way that lets them explore their music and be creative in new ways. They are experimenting and this album shows that. Richie is trying new instruments and different ways of playing. Jon is experimenting singing in different ways and using his voice to bring new emotion to these songs.

It's a left turn as the title suggests and it feels right to them. It doesn't really matter if it sounds like crap to some people. Those people can ignore it while the band will hopefully come out stronger musicians from it. Im not saying I want the next album to have computer beats running through it but this album represents the band taking a risk and doing something that sounds unlike their previous stuff. It's very different and some people will need to have an open mind with it.

Hopefully it won't delay any future projects and those who hate it can still look forward to the box set which Im guessing will be the next release. Also, people who don't like the new versions won't have to hear these songs live or (apart from the next DVD) ever again. This is a one off thing and it doesn't really make a difference whether it exists or not.

Basically this is BJ branching out a bit. They wern't trying to make a rock album and even though a simpler acoustic album may have had better results by some peoples opinions, they took the opportunity to express themselves in new ways which we should applaud them for doing (or trying).

I quite like TLFR! When I heard it the first time I knew most of the fans would hate it cause its so different to what we normally hear from them. People should listen to it with an open mind and they may learn to like it, or they should accept it and realise what it actually is. Its the guys having some fun with old songs, taking some left turns, learning a bit from the experience and giving us something extra till the next album/release.

Old 11-07-2003, 08:59 AM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman
Default Re: the way I see TLFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calyx
That's all fair enough but I don't really think it should really matter whether people like it or not.
First, you're on the right tracks, and then:

Quote:
I quite like TLFR! When I heard it the first time I knew most of the fans would hate it cause its so different to what we normally hear from them. People should listen to it with an open mind and they may learn to like it, or they should accept it and realise what it actually is.
No, you don't need anything to listen to it. You either like it or you don't. Why can't you leave it at that? Open mind or whatever you call it has nothing to do with it. It's like saying "Yeah, I know you hate Saddam, but if you have an open mind I'm sure you'll learn to love him". Stop with this "open mind" -shit. If we don't like it, we won't like it.

And I've accepted it for what it is: it's crap.

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:30 AM
Bicycle Repair Man
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
This album isn't really a new album for the band. I see it as more of a bonus album (considering it came out of nowhere and was made in just over three weeks). It's a new take on old songs but in a way that lets them explore their music and be creative in new ways. They are experimenting and this album shows that. Richie is trying new instruments and different ways of playing. Jon is experimenting singing in different ways and using his voice to bring new emotion to these songs.
This sounds to me like it's not your opinion so much as you are told to think that by what the press releases, advertisements adn the band's own words think:

"The policies of Mr Hitler are very good. He came out of nowhere and made this place better. Each of his leading men has brought something new to the country..."

in other words you believe exactly what you've told and don't give an opinion in the above quote anyway

I've got the tools, I got the girl
and I certainly got the tools to satisfy
Plus make you beg for more
Old 11-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Rocket Queen
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Mousebounce

Quote:
Pretty much two out of three people on here seem to hate or dislike in some way this new album.
There is a great deal more than two or three!!

Old 11-07-2003, 05:34 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Send a message via MSN to Kieets

I agree with you Calyx! I do think they will come out better musicians after this. I mean we all like BJ, but it's not like everybody only listens to BJ, we all like some range of music and somewhere within that range BJ fits in and that's were allt hose ranges cross. But everything develops and everybody's ranges or tastes of music changes, you learn about other styles of music and you like it or not. In any case, your vision on music changes. That's a good thing I think. I see it this way: BJ also like different sorts of music, and they want to broaden their style of music I think...
In any case, also if they're going to really rock on the new record, they will have learned a lot from this record. They strayed off into lots of new territory and they will pick out the things they liked about it and leave the things they're not to happy with as they are.
The bottom line is I also think the new record will be a lot better for it.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:30 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieets
I agree with you Calyx! I do think they will come out better musicians after this. I mean we all like BJ, but it's not like everybody only listens to BJ, we all like some range of music and somewhere within that range BJ fits in and that's were allt hose ranges cross. But everything develops and everybody's ranges or tastes of music changes, you learn about other styles of music and you like it or not. In any case, your vision on music changes. That's a good thing I think.
I, too, agree with Calyx and you made a real good point Kieets. I like a huge range of music and not all "rock". This was an experiment for BJ and has several different musical types all on one album. From the blues to sort of country.

They started out with the intentions of putting out an acoustic album but what they did they didn't like so why put out something that your not proud of. They did something new and different for them and I think it works. I am much more happier with this than with some acoustic album with the same old same old stuff. Some folks think they threw this together in 23 days - it's just that it only took 23 days to do it. Yes, they had a record label deadline but those deadlines can change and do. A friend of mine has a band whose 2nd CD was pushed back twice because he wasn't happy with the results. Grant it he has a different label than BJ but I would imagine most labels are somewhat flexible. If they needed another week I'm sure they would have gotten it.

I just think they took their musical capabilities to another level. I don't think the next album with be like this one but could include a song or two with this new different sound.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Send a message via AIM to fanatica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousebounce
Quote:
Pretty much two out of three people on here seem to hate or dislike in some way this new album.
There is a great deal more than two or three!!
2 out of 3.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:10 AM
Destination any Forum

see the way u wanna see the album and be proud of it, whether its negative or positive.

There are people dancing on what
they perceive to be our grave
Old 11-08-2003, 12:21 AM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to davefan Send a message via AIM to davefan Send a message via MSN to davefan Send a message via Yahoo to davefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag
see the way u wanna see the album and be proud of it, whether its negative or positive.
why should I be proud of bon jovi releasing something that sounds like a bad remix of their songs?
http://www.beepworld.de/members57/moonjunction/
Old 11-08-2003, 12:22 AM
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag
why should I be proud of bon jovi releasing something that sounds like a bad remix of their songs?
u misread my point, i said to be proud of wot YOU think and the way YOU see it, positive or negative

There are people dancing on what
they perceive to be our grave