Home Register Members FAQ

Billboard: New album out in the spring

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 10-26-2004, 02:12 AM
Breakout

Default Billboard: New album out in the spring

Edited By Barry A. Jeckell. October 25, 2004, 4:25 PM ET

New Bon Jovi Studio Album, Tour Due

A new Bon Jovi album due in the spring will be a "loud guitar, big rock record," says Jon Bon Jovi. "We're very excited about it, and I'm very confident it's going to be a big record for us."

The bandleader made the comments during an interview for a spotlight feature in the Nov. 20 issue of Billboard, which will hit newsstands Nov. 13.

Guitarist Richie Sambora says the band will launch a world tour in the late spring to support the album, dates for which have not yet been announced.

"I think we stumbled upon something again on this particular record, kind of like what happened with 'It's My Life,'" Sambora says. "When [that] came out, it seemed to give Bon Jovi a whole new audience. We've always had a vast audience base, but with this new record, what I'm feeling [is] it's kind of a new direction. It sounds very fresh, yet it sounds like us."

The band worked with producer John Shanks (Michelle Branch, Melissa Etheridge), who also co-wrote tracks with Jon Bon Jovi and Sambora. The album was recorded late this summer.

Jon Bon Jovi notes changes in the climate of the country, and the state of the music business, influenced the songwriting on the new album.

The songs reflect "personal and introspective views on issues I may have had growing up that I certainly would have never discussed publicly before. I've always kept this 'chin up, glass is half-full' kind of optimism, and [now] I showed some chinks in the armor."

The song "Last Man Standing" depicts the band leader's unhappiness with the music industry. He says it reflects his "disgust of the music business in general, and its lack of true vision when it comes to supporting the artistry of developing a song, the songwriter and the bands on the road."

"Instead of creating what Andy Warhol once called '15 minutes of fame,' I think it's down to just three minutes and 30 seconds," he says. "I don't know how this industry is ever going to have another Bob Dylan when it's all about the single, [not] the album and the vision and that inspiration. [It's] all for the sake of a 99-cent download so they can sell bulk and make their bonuses. It's heartbreaking."

Eric Wong, senior director of marketing at Island Records, notes: "[As] with every Bon Jovi release, it's going to get the [label's] full-on attention."

As previously reported,a four-CD/one-DVD box set, "100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong," will be released Nov. 16 via Island.

In conjunction with its release, the band will stage a Nov. 21 concert at the Borgata in Atlantic City, N.J. The show will be the basis of the premiere episode of "INHD's Center Stage," which will be broadcast live on the high-definition cable network INHD and its spinoff INHD2. It will also be cybercast on Samsung Electronics America's Web site.

Bon Jovi is also confirmed to make a Nov. 23 appearance on NBC's "Today" morning show.

-- Christa Titus, N.Y.

Old 10-26-2004, 03:58 AM
Hardest Part is the Night

Default Re: Billboard: New album out in the spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedepeti
Edited By Barry A. Jeckell. October 25, 2004, 4:25 PM ET

The bandleader made the comments during an interview for a spotlight feature in the Nov. 20 issue of Billboard, which will hit newsstands Nov. 13.

Guitarist Richie Sambora says the band will launch a world tour in the late spring to support the album, dates for which have not yet been announced.

The band worked with producer John Shanks (Michelle Branch, Melissa Etheridge), who also co-wrote tracks with Jon Bon Jovi and Sambora. The album was recorded late this summer.

"I think we stumbled upon something again on this particular record, kind of like what happened with 'It's My Life,'" Sambora says. "When [that] came out, it seemed to give Bon Jovi a whole new audience. We've always had a vast audience base, but with this new record, what I'm feeling [is] it's kind of a new direction. It sounds very fresh, yet it sounds like us."

Jon Bon Jovi notes changes in the climate of the country, and the state of the music business, influenced the songwriting on the new album.

The songs reflect "personal and introspective views on issues I may have had growing up that I certainly would have never discussed publicly before. I've always kept this 'chin up, glass is half-full' kind of optimism, and [now] I showed some chinks in the armor."New Bon Jovi Studio Album, Tour Due

A new Bon Jovi album due in the spring will be a "loud guitar, big rock record," says Jon Bon Jovi. "We're very excited about it, and I'm very confident it's going to be a big record for us."

-- Christa Titus, N.Y.
Sounds great!

The 'new direction' that Richie talks about will probably be a continuation of the Bounce sound but hopefully more rock orientated. Im hoping they let the music breathe a bit more on this album than on Bounce and I hope its mostly rock and not another 'something for everybody' kind of album...

Spring in the States is around April/May/June isn't it?
Old 10-26-2004, 04:56 AM
Breakout

Yes, April/May 2005
Old 10-26-2004, 05:02 AM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calyx
Spring in the States is around April/May/June isn't it?
Yeah, more like late march/april may.
It sounds good.

I hope the "new" direction is more rock oriented, I hope as to how he showed in Last Man Standing it's gonna be a better album lyrically.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:59 AM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Ok, I'm gonna let the closet optimist in me speak out and say that from the description given by Jon, though it could be total hype or maybe it's just what I want to hear...but rather than a continuation of Bounce....it's more what Bounce SHOULD have been.

No focus on brevity or keeping the jamming down (hence no real ending on the otherwise great The Distance except for when hearing it live)...at least that is what could be said here: "loud guitar, big rock record." Richie's guitar is gonna let loose again..as it should be.

Letting the soul speak..getting personal again in the songs..as Jon said the lyrics go into : "personal and introspective views on issues I may have had growing up that I certainly would have never discussed publicly before. I've always kept this 'chin up, glass is half-full' kind of optimism, and [now] I showed some chinks in the armor." Ladies and Gentlemen...when the man is in THIS form...it's how we were given these lines from the past. "All I know is what I've been sold" "Men spend their whole lives waiting, praying, for some big reward" "If I don't believe in Jesus, how can I believe the pope." He reared his head most recently in Last Man Standing.

Gonna be a roller coaster coming up...now if I can just stop being poor to be prepared for the tour and all that's coming.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Jovi Freak

sounds cool.

hate to be nitty picky tho, but where is the link to this article? i just seem to recall a rather fake article about the boxset last year which cozed quite a stir round here...

ktf
andi
That you are all you really need
JBJ - I believe

"Sambora's face is a mask of joyous disbelief, as if previously unaware of his ability to play the instrument at all. Reaching the last fistful of notes, he does a fair impression of a man who is actually ejaculating into his jet black flares."
. . . Ben Mitchell, Q Magazine
Old 10-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Next 100 Posts

Send a message via AIM to Pink Jovi Send a message via Yahoo to Pink Jovi

Quote:

The songs reflect "personal and introspective views on issues I may have had growing up that I certainly would have never discussed publicly before. I've always kept this 'chin up, glass is half-full' kind of optimism, and [now] I showed some chinks in the armor."
This bit gives me hope!

Link is:
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar..._id=1000684292
Old 10-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Breakout

Quote:

The song "Last Man Standing" depicts the band leader's unhappiness with the music industry. He says it reflects his "disgust of the music business in general, and its lack of true vision when it comes to supporting the artistry of developing a song, the songwriter and the bands on the road."

"Instead of creating what Andy Warhol once called '15 minutes of fame,' I think it's down to just three minutes and 30 seconds," he says. "I don't know how this industry is ever going to have another Bob Dylan when it's all about the single, [not] the album and the vision and that inspiration. [It's] all for the sake of a 99-cent download so they can sell bulk and make their bonuses. It's heartbreaking."
That sounds very promising. Never thought Jon would say such things about the music industry. I'm very happy with his opinion on that issue. Sounds a little bit like the These Days lyrics-era.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:45 PM
It's my post

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob

"loud guitar, big rock record"

Now we're talking. It about time Bon Jovi rocked again and fingers crossed we'll see it with this record!

Old 10-26-2004, 02:27 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic
Quote:

That sounds very promising. Never thought Jon would say such things about the music industry. I'm very happy with his opinion on that issue. Sounds a little bit like the These Days lyrics-era.
Jon is contradicting himself though. He's exactly describing what Bounce is. If he thinks there will no new Bob Dylan, why doesn't he change something about it then instead of writing lyrics like "Bounce bounce nothing's gonna keep me down"...

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan