Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

About songwriting for the new album

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 11-02-2004, 09:18 AM
Hardest Part is the Night

Default About songwriting for the new album

Question:
Hi Oompas, Obie, I was just looking at an interview Bon Jovi gave her in Holland in 2000 and they talked about producing Crush and how they had to choose from 60 songs. Now my question is: how much songs does Bon Jovi normally write for a new album? Thanks in advance for answering!
asked by Marco on Saturday, October 30, 2004

Answer:
The best answer is: ALOT. It can be anywhere from 20 to 60 songs... however, for the new album they've just about finished, they didn't do that. They wrote the songs, recorded them and that was it... not massive songwriting to find the songs for the album. They recorded the songs they wrote.answered by BON JOVI INFO HQ on Monday, November 1 , 2004 12:41 PM

Providing it doesn't sound like a rush job (which Im sure it won't), I think this should be an effective change to their songwriting approch. If they set out to write a rock record (which we keep hearing it is), then this could mean we get a more focussed rock album that isn't as heavy on the ballads and possibly fits into a theme more... It also means they could already be confident with the material and don't want to mess it up!

sounds promising IMO

Old 11-02-2004, 02:14 PM
It's my post

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob

...Or that they are running out of ideas and don't have time to write record and produce up to 60 songs. 60 sounds a very large number and I doubt they actually recorded as many as that, but I wouldn't be surprised if they recorded at least 20. With the Bounce album we know that it had at least 20 songs wrote for it because 8 demos for that album made it onto the Target CD. I think most BJ albums seem to have around 8 or more demos and I think it's the best way to record lots of songs and then select the ones that are to make the album. We might end up with a lot of crap if they only recorded say 12 songs and then they just made up the album.

I'm not to bothered about it having a few ballads as long as they are well written ballads with some power in them, rather than the AALY and TYFLM lovey dovey ones. Bon Jovi are a rock band (or so we think) and these Westlife type ballads must go. I hope they record at least 20 songs for the new album, which I'm sure they probably will and the best ones will be selected. I think the up and coming album is coming at a very important time in Bon Jovi's career. They must create a hit with this album, or Bon Jovi will continue they're downward slide which we all don't want.

Old 11-02-2004, 02:38 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
They must create a hit with this album, or Bon Jovi will continue they're downward slide which we all don't want.
Actually..the pursuit of a hit is what is more likely to create or further a downward spiral. Instead of just letting the creativity flow..they worry about what is selling in the current market and try to come up with something trendy. That turns off fans due to not being themselves and possible fans who just see it as pandering to youth by a couple of old guys.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Blaze of Posting

Well if you take the Bounce album for example, songs like 'Another reason to believe', 'Standing' and 'Lucky' wich I don't know about anyone else but those are some of my favorite b-sides were among the first batch of songs written for Bounce. And 'All about Loving You' 'You Had me from Hello' were written later in the process.(or so this is what interviews and quotes from that era have let me to believe.)

But if that is true then I'd much rather have the first batch of songs.
Just my $0.02
Old 11-02-2004, 03:36 PM
Destination any Forum

Jon said something like that in the past they´ve been quilty of hasling with the album too much in the TLFR dvd. Maybe they´re trying to avoid over-producing the album or something. I have no expectations for the album, just hope it´ll be better than their latest efforts.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:21 PM
Jovi Freak

Send a message via AIM to Keba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
With the Bounce album we know that it had at least 20 songs wrote for it because 8 demos for that album made it onto the Target CD.
Actually, Rob, the Target CD only had 5 demos. The other tracks were live or acoustic. But still, there were at least 20 Bounce songs because a few of the demos didn't make it onto the Target CD.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:00 PM
It's my post

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob

[quote="Bleeding Purist"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
They must create a hit with this album, or Bon Jovi will continue they're downward slide which we all don't want.
Actually..the pursuit of a hit is what is more likely to create or further a downward spiral. [quote]

Yeah maybe, but I think they can create attractive rock songs that will be a hit. They managed it in the past, and even in 2000 with It's My Life when most songs in the charts were manufactured pop. I'm quite hopeful for the new album, and I think they boys with get it right this time.

Old 11-04-2004, 04:23 PM
Livin' on a Post

It still seems strange that the album is all done and dusted so far before the release date - either they're getting lazy or they believe they've created a classic (can only hope).
I guess the fact that they have a studio at Jons house makes the recording process less arduous, but I remember reading about These Days and the amount of time and effort they put into making that album as good as it was...they dont seem to have the same work ethic at the moment...but I guess we'll wait and see.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:13 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyShoes
and but I remember reading about These Days and the amount of time and effort they put into making that album as good as it was...they dont seem to have the same work ethic at the moment...but I guess we'll wait and see.
and These Days didn't even make the charts????
and in my opinion it's the Best ....
the writing on that CD was just , loss for words ( in a good way)
Old 11-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withoutlove
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyShoes
and but I remember reading about These Days and the amount of time and effort they put into making that album as good as it was...they dont seem to have the same work ethic at the moment...but I guess we'll wait and see.
and These Days didn't even make the charts????
and in my opinion it's the Best ....
the writing on that CD was just , loss for words ( in a good way)
I know it wasn't a massive hit in the states but it was a number 1 album here in the U.K.